Player Discussion Radko Gudas

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Kinda makes you wonder why Gudas isn't a sell-high candidate to the boards like Vatrano.
I know you are being sarcastic but I'll answer since they are a totally different situation.

1. Gudas plays a premium position.
2. Gudas fills a role that is really hard to fill in today's NHL.
3. Gudas is in the first year of his contract with 2 years after this.
4. Gudas is not playing above his head. He has been this steady defensive guy for years, while Vatrano is having a career year he is likely never to repeat.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I know you are being sarcastic but I'll answer since they are a totally different situation.

1. Gudas plays a premium position.
2. Gudas fills a role that is really hard to fill in today's NHL.
3. Gudas is in the first year of his contract with 2 years after this.
4. Gudas is not playing above his head. He has been this steady defensive guy for years, while Vatrano is having a career year he is likely never to repeat.

5. Goal scorers get overpaid in free agency. Stay at home D not so much.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully Verbeek can keep finding Vatrano/Gudas types in free agency every few years. That will be MASSIVE toward keeping the team competitive. Even with having to overpay because we're rebuilding, both are great contracts. Once the team is contending, hopefully he won't have to "overpay" as much.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think the main issue with trading Vatrano is that his salary was supposed to come off the books when we were expecting some paydays for the young kids. Having to overpay in term and/or salary to replace him next year might create some issues.

Although if Verbeek extends the rebuild again by trading Zegras for youth then that may not matter.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I think the main issue with trading Vatrano is that his salary was supposed to come off the books when we were expecting some paydays for the young kids. Having to overpay in term and/or salary to replace him next year might create some issues.

Although if Verbeek extends the rebuild again by trading Zegras for youth then that may not matter.
Nah fk that.. There will be no rebuild extension.. IF your trading Zegras.. Your getting someone valuable back..

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

I think the idea would be fill his hole with youth. Cutter, Colangelo, etc.

Even still, I dont think it will matter. His contract came off the books for McTavish's second contract. We have 20+ mil in cap space right now, not counting Silfverberg and Henrique coming off, and McGinn is coming off then.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Many seem to assume that a Vatrano trade would require an external replacement but I don't really agree with that, and I also think it's possible we look to add another forward even without trading him. Zegras, McTavish, Carlsson, Terry, Gauthier, and Killorn is still enough to form the nucleus of a productive top 6 and whether we trade Vatrano or not I would instead look to add some scoring to the bottom 6

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Gudas's player page:
Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 10.41.04 AM.png

What is happening.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was talking to Leo today and it reminded me of a funny story about Radko Gudas.

This past December I was at the game when the Ducks visited MSG. It was my first time seeing the Ducks and I'm now just a few teams away from seeing all 32.

The whole game, I'm sat next to these two tourists from France. I'm trying to help but these guys have no idea what's going on.

So, with a few minutes left, Gudas cross-checks Chris Kreider and, as a Chris Kreider aficionado, I'm pretty steamed.

The referee gives Gudas a misconduct and naturally, I'm compelled to flip Gudas off as he's going down the tunnel. The two French guys were like "oh, is that what we're supposed to do?" and the three of us flipped off Radko Gudas as he was going down the tunnel.

That's nothing personal, I like Gudas. That's just business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad