Quebec City trying to keep the flame alive

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Quebec/Edmonton/Calgary/Ottawa should all get a MLS team and say f*** you to NHL hockey. It won't happen but the best thing to happen to Canada is a competitor to NHL monopoly in this country and their habit to take canadians for granted.

I take your point that the NHL takes Canadians for granted but MLS isn't going to expand in Canada not least because the cities you mentioned are all unlikely to support a MLS club. Quebec doesn't have pro soccer and Edmonton's CanPL team died. Of the four, only Ottawa already has a stadium that is at all suited to MLS.

MLS expansion in Canada faces all the same challenges of NHL expansion in Canada, but with far, far less demand and fan interest in MLS.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think allot of people are over thinking it. I Ithink it's simply the NHL are not fans of the current prospective ownership group in Quebec. If Thomson and True North where the ones behind the ownership in Quebec I think things would be different.
Bingo. Don't believe us though, maybe Gord Miller is a better source? Starts at 10:35

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
At this point I wouldn't be super shocked if there is pressure applied to at least the Montreal market, if not also the Vancouver market by some American owners to ask for teams. MLS seems ready to cap out at 30, 32 tops, and there are probably still more than two more interested American cities. But still highly doubtful.

MLS is going to get alteast to 40 in my opinion. Soccer does have talent pool issues that other sports have. All MLS has to do is increase the allotted international roster spots to alleviate dilution of domestic talent. The facility requirements for soccer is a lot cheaper than any of the big 4 sports stadiums require. Additionally, operational costs are still very low. I wouldn't be surprised if Liga MX and MLS merge in the future since both have what the other wants.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kroenke is building an arena in San Diego. IDK what that gets him as he can't own multiple teams in the NHL, but I could see 35 and 36 being Arizona 2.0 and San Diego with Nashville I guess moving to the Eastern Conference.

Hell just do what he did with the Avs under the old NFL ownership rule, he'll put the team under this kids name(s).

Reactions: tucker3434

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
You have to be incredibly delusional at this point to think Quebec has an any shot especially seeing how Winnipeg is failing badly.
Haha!!!
Where is Winnipeg failing??
Team is still MAKING money, ownership is building up the downtown with a mega project just announced.
I love how much you hate Winnipeg. I hope it makes you tue angriest little man on your street.
I hope your day is filled with rain and that your dog shots on your couch haha
You deserve it 😊👍

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Haha!!!
Where is Winnipeg failing??
Team is still MAKING money, ownership is building up the downtown with a mega project just announced.
I love how much you hate Winnipeg. I hope it makes you tue angriest little man on your street.
I hope your day is filled with rain and that your dog shots on your couch haha
You deserve it 😊👍
Ask Chipman. He started this, not us man.

Kroenke is building an arena in San Diego. IDK what that gets him as he can't own multiple teams in the NHL, but I could see 35 and 36 being Arizona 2.0 and San Diego with Nashville I guess moving to the Eastern Conference.
If San Diego is available, Phoenix might be in the rearview mirror for a while.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Chipman: "From an overall perspective, no, we've never lost money in our NHL years."

From CBC:

Despite decline in ticket sales, the Winnipeg Jets have never lost money, True North says​

Ok, so why are we doing this? If nothing is wrong, Chipman should stop being alarmist.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Ok, so why are we doing this? If nothing is wrong, Chipman should stop being alarmist.
Because this league looks like it might being getting into another boom period of financial growth and it will leave markets like winnipeg behind if Hockey related Revenue increases drasttically. Winnipeg has a small corporate base the fans not only need to make up for it but make up for the larger markets who will start spiking ticket prices.

If I'm the NHL I am not expanding anywhere in Canada again - it just doesn't make sense if you are looking for growth when even stability cools off with the shine of a new team. We have seen his before in Canada with Winnipeg and Quebec already as well as Edmonton. The CBA after 2004 did help but it's only going to help so much.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Hell just do what he did with the Avs under the old NFL ownership rule, he'll put the team under this kids name(s).
His son is President of the Avs and Nuggets currently, but I assume he must have some plan for the ownership as he's not going to build a major-league quality arena and then never be able to put an NHL or NBA team into it.

33 and 34 could be San Diego paired with Atlanta if Fertitta continues to not want to pay the NHL's price tag. I assume if he was willing to pay 1.3B he'd own the Coyotes by the end of the week.

Reactions: Voight

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
33 and 34 could be San Diego paired with Atlanta if Fertitta continues to not want to pay the NHL's price tag. I assume if he was willing to pay 1.3B he'd own the Coyotes by the end of the week.
I maintain that not only could it have been his this week, the NHL probably would have ratcheted up the pressure much sooner if they knew Tilman would cut a check of that size. From a strict "geographical adjustment" perspective + actual size of market, Houston would be easier.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
again, Kev.... unless an existing Eastern team has multiple issues over multiple years the way the Coyotes have Quebec simply isn't an option for expansion and if the general consensus is relocation is the utmost last option the way the NHL Has termed it.... Is there an Eastern franchise anywhere close to what Arizona is....

Once they have a 33rd team, they're gonna go to 36 sooner rather than later. 33 is a weird number to have, and so is 34 and 35.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Once they have a 33rd team, they're gonna go to 36 sooner rather than later. 33 is a weird number to have, and so is 34 and 35.
again, Kev:

which existing EC Team goes to Quebec City.... not expansion.... who's the ownership..... and if it's private ownership do they have the financial capability to self sustain a franchise, nevermind start a franchise.... think what just occurred w/ Deacon Sports not too long ago... why did the ECHL terminate Newfoundland if it wasn't self sustainable....

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I could totally see a scenario in which San Diego is the 36th team, with ARZ, HOU in the Central, and NASH slides to the East...

But the complicating factor in that is that Kroenke is behind the San Diego real estate development building an arena.... and the Kroneke family owns the Avalanche. It's not like he can get a second team.

They'd need a new owner, either in COL to buy the Avs so Kroenke can own a SD team (but he also owns the Denver Nuggets, so that's an additional complication).

Which puts them in a similar place as the Quebec -- Where Quebec needs a minority or majority owner to join the PKP, who seemingly can't afford the NHL buy in himself.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I could totally see a scenario in which San Diego is the 36th team, with ARZ, HOU in the Central, and NASH slides to the East...

But the complicating factor in that is that Kroenke is behind the San Diego real estate development building an arena.... and the Kroneke family owns the Avalanche. It's not like he can get a second team.

They'd need a new owner, either in COL to buy the Avs so Kroenke can own a SD team (but he also owns the Denver Nuggets, so that's an additional complication).

Which puts them in a similar place as the Quebec -- Where Quebec needs a minority or majority owner to join the PKP, who seemingly can't afford the NHL buy in himself.
the other complication is Anaheim, Kev, Since they operate in SD.....

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
They were at 21 for over a decade.

the other complication is Anaheim, Kev, Since they operate in SD.....
100ish miles from the Ponda to San Diego. They might not be happy, but it's outside the 50 miles zone.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That's something we've discussed before and is pretty much irrelevant. The Ducks' AHL franchise in San Diego is about as relevant as the Utah Grizzlies are in the Coyotes to Salt Lake sale.
disagree, unless you erroneously believe Honda Center is being transplanted to San Diego....... Anaheim is SAN Diego territory, new arena there or not, Kev.... what does San Diego have to do w/ Quebec City being awarded a franchise at any league level

KevFu

May 22, 2009
disagree, unless you erroneously believe Honda Center is being transplanted to San Diego....... Anaheim is SAN Diego territory, new arena there or not, Kev.... what does San Diego have to do w/ Quebec City being awarded a franchise at any league level

This is like the third time you've argued this topic...

The Ducks own the right to operate an NHL team in Anaheim, which includes a 50-mile radius around the city.

1713208795950.png

The Ducks own the right to operate an AHL team in San Diego. An NHL team isn't an AHL team. The Ducks get one vote to try and stop it.

Major league expansion teams displace minor league teams all the time. It's literally happening right now. The Delta Center is 7.3 miles from the Utah Grizzlies Arena.

1713208632368.png

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This is like the third time you've argued this topic...

The Ducks own the right to operate an NHL team in Anaheim, which includes a 50-mile radius around the city.

View attachment 852203

The Ducks own the right to operate an AHL team in San Diego. An NHL team isn't an AHL team. The Ducks get one vote to try and stop it.

Major league expansion teams displace minor league teams all the time. It's literally happening right now. The Delta Center is 7.3 miles from the Utah Grizzlies Arena.

View attachment 852202
disagree.... there hasn't been any indication or statement from the Grizzlies since this deal broke and has summarily been approved.... again.... what does any of AZ/UT have to do w/ QC just as it is irrelevant about San Diego.... or expansion..... the only thing that's now true discussion is will Tucson go to Mullett and will they remain the UT Affiliate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad