Quebec City and Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Canada

Dec 9, 2004
I love Winnipeg and all, but I question the economic viability of putting a team back in Winnipeg, and Quebec City for that matter.

Is there enough money? I don't believe there is unfortunately.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
winnipeg does has alot more wealth than is generally perceived.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rich100/list.asp

Examples:

#28 Richardson family $ 1.15 billion
#29 Asper family $ 1.13 billion
#54 Peter Nygaard $ 533 million
#83 Defehr family $ 384 million
#98 Randall Moffatt $ 319 million

Also, they are many other wealthy families and individuals with a good deal of wealth in Winnipeg. It should be noted the MTS Centre's luxury boxes are sold out for the Moose, and this bodes well as a statement of Winnipeg's corporate support for professional hockey in general now.

MacDaddy TLC*

hawker14 said:
lol...still at the winnipeg bashing, eh ?

keep posting, i find it quite humourous !!!

Not bashing son, just providing a fair and unbiased assessment. They didn't support the team when it mattered. Add this to the economic issues, ie the weak dollar, and Winnipeg was bound to fail. Nobody has been able to present a strong argument as to why the Jets fans were great fans and should be considered as such, other than once all was lost they rallied. Too damn late people. The building should have been 100% capacity if they were great fans. Winnipeg is a great host city for short term World class events like the World Juniors or curling. other than that they can support minor league professional leagues, like the AHL or the WHA. They should also pursue a Western League franchise for their building. The NHL, as already demonstrated is out of their league.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I agree with MacDaddy on this. If teams fail...then let them fail. Don't put them back where they've failed once before. If anything, you'd see quite a few US markets that would receive brand new teams before teams were placed back in anemic markets. Again, I agree that Quebec would be far more likely than Winnipeg, but that's not to say I could see either happening. I think, unfortunately, you'll see less Canadian teams before you see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad