Quebec City and Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zednik

Apr 10, 2002
Quebec City
Visit site
Let's say the lock out lasts for at least 1 full season. I heard that as many as 5 teams could be in bankruptcy if it happens. Do you think that this could bring back some TRUE hockey markets like Quebec and Winnipeg into the NHL ?

hkyfan_333

Nov 26, 2004
By saying that you are implying that Phoenix isnt a true hockey market? Do u have any idea how many "snow birds" we have here during the winter? Not to mention that we have a solid base of hockey fans in this city and state. If you can have hockey in Cali, then you can have hockey in AZ. Winnipeg had issues, and Phonecians love their Yotes. The Yotes are stayin.

Zednik

Apr 10, 2002
Quebec City
Visit site
hkyfan_333 said:
By saying that you are implying that Phoenix isnt a true hockey market? Do u have any idea how many "snow birds" we have here during the winter? Not to mention that we have a solid base of hockey fans in this city and state. If you can have hockey in Cali, then you can have hockey in AZ. Winnipeg had issues, and Phonecians love their Yotes. The Yotes are stayin.

Calm down ! I never said Phoenix would be removed :shakehead

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
hkyfan_333 said:

Winnipeg had money issues. They had hordes and hordes of fans.
I've rarely seen a full phoenix arena (granted, I havent seen many games there either)

As for your snow birds, do you really think they're fans of the phoenix coyotes? if so, why is your building not filled with them? why would they care anyways, it's not their city and the team sucks

I say move them back to winnipeg with a new financial system

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't think many people would miss the Yotes if they went back to Winnepeg. The team has no history, and if the team left you wouldn't see the uproar caused like when the Jets left.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Yeah, just like the less than league average attendance that used to go to watch the Jets when they were in the league.

Quebec yes...Winnipeg not a chance.

Kid Canada

Dec 9, 2004
Zednik said:
Let's say the lock out lasts for at least 1 full season. I heard that as many as 5 teams could be in bankruptcy if it happens. Do you think that this could bring back some TRUE hockey markets like Quebec and Winnipeg into the NHL ?

Quebec City's has to build an arena that actually can host an NHL game. The Colisee just doesn't cut it.

Winnipeg has the MTS Centre, but it's only 15,015, but does have expansion possibilities upwards of 18,000.

My guess, under Bettman; if we're lucky, two teams will be moved.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
hkyfan_333 said:

The Yotes will stay, but live in the real world: Phoenix Arizona is not a hockey market at all... unless youve figured out a way to make Ice form naturally in the open desert and are keeping it from us all. :joker:

Lalonde

Aug 20, 2004
How many NHL players are from Arizona? A zero. Compare this number to number of players from Manitoba and Quebec. NHL clubs should be where hockey talents are born and grow. I think these places are "true hockey markets".

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Zednik said:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Lalonde said:
How many NHL players are from Arizona? A zero. Compare this number to number of players from Manitoba and Quebec. NHL clubs should be where hockey talents are born and grow. I think these places are "true hockey markets".
you are kidding me. A hockey market is any market where people will pay to see a game. You probably also cried fould when the Expos left, saying mlb let them down. Well, by your logic, they weren't a baseball market at all. Winnipeg and Quebec City are just too small and can't generate the revenue you need. will you sell out every game? yes. will you make loads off of merchandise? yes. will you be able to charge 120 + for tickets? no. will you be able to get any sort of tv contract? no. So in effect Phoenix is a much better market than either of those two because they can generate revenue.

Lanny MacDonald*

hkyfan_333 said:

I beg to differ. I live in Phoenix and no one gives a rats about the Coyotes or hockey in general. For every one hockey fan you have 1000 that hate the sport. Durin the Stanley Cup last year I could not find one bar that would put the game on the TV and leave it on. There was always something more important on like the Diamondbacks getting their butts handed to them every night. The fact is that the snow birds come down here to get away from the smow and everfything that reminds them of the snow. They have golf clubs, not hockey sticks, in their hands and don't care to talk about the game. They admit that. They followed it when they were up north, but they don't care anymore now that they are in their twilight years. They have more important things to worry about than NHL hockey.

MacDaddy TLC*

Instead of relocating franchises to fail elsewhere, they should just let them die. 24 is the maximum number of franchises that should be in the NHL.

MacDaddy TLC*

Survive isn't good enough. They need to be profitable. I really wish Winnipeg had built the arena to proper NHL standards though. It would have made their argument that they could handle an NHL franchise stronger. It is one thing to say they can expand the building, but the Winnipeg Arena was expanded and the biggest complain about that arena was the sightlines, mainly due to the expansion. If their attendance had been at or over the NHL average, it would have made their argument more compelling.
I really feel for the fans of Quebec though. Their problems were due to governmental issues, mainly taxation. They also suffered extremely poor ownership. Barry Shankerow did an admirable job in his attempt to save the Jets. The Nords were hung out to dry.

Also, JC Penny. Could you elaborate on why the NHL would be better?

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
The Iconoclast said:
I beg to differ. I live in Phoenix and no one gives a rats about the Coyotes or hockey in general. For every one hockey fan you have 1000 that hate the sport. Durin the Stanley Cup last year I could not find one bar that would put the game on the TV and leave it on. There was always something more important on like the Diamondbacks getting their butts handed to them every night. The fact is that the snow birds come down here to get away from the smow and everfything that reminds them of the snow. They have golf clubs, not hockey sticks, in their hands and don't care to talk about the game. They admit that. They followed it when they were up north, but they don't care anymore now that they are in their twilight years. They have more important things to worry about than NHL hockey.

You just accurately described the general state of hockey in the USA.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
Survive isn't good enough. They need to be profitable. I really wish Winnipeg had built the arena to proper NHL standards though. It would have made their argument that they could handle an NHL franchise stronger. It is one thing to say they can expand the building, but the Winnipeg Arena was expanded and the biggest complain about that arena was the sightlines, mainly due to the expansion. If their attendance had been at or over the NHL average, it would have made their argument more compelling.
I really feel for the fans of Quebec though. Their problems were due to governmental issues, mainly taxation. They also suffered extremely poor ownership. Barry Shankerow did an admirable job in his attempt to save the Jets. The Nords were hung out to dry.

Also, JC Penny. Could you elaborate on why the NHL would be better?
Quebec and Winnipeg are Hockey addicted fans. They would do anything for their team. I watched a show 2 weeks ago where a Canadian went to tampa bay with a Lecavalier shirt and none of them could tell the name the team. That says it all. If Quebec and Winnipeg under a good CBA and a canadian dollar doing good could survive and actually make money it could only be good for the NHL.

MacDaddy TLC*

Tampa's building was jammed and extremely noisy during the cup final. That said it all, IMO.

Whether they in Tampa stick with the team if it goes into decline will tell the story, but the young talent the team has suggests that won't happen for another 10-12 years.

Quebec fans I totally agree. Winnipeg though,was almost never (while in the league) at or over the average in attendance. The fans of Winnipeg are grossly over rated, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feb 12, 2003
no13matssundin said:
The Yotes will stay, but live in the real world: Phoenix Arizona is not a hockey market at all... unless youve figured out a way to make Ice form naturally in the open desert and are keeping it from us all. :joker:

I find this statement foolish.

In all 30 of the NHL markets, how many of them have "ice form naturally in the open" from mid-September to late June?

What a joke.

People don't realize it, but Phoenix has been a hockey market for many years no doubt to the snowbirds that come. While the Coyotes were the only game in town now, there have been numerous other hockey teams in the past, minor league of course, dating back 30 years. The biggest problem for Phoenix is the lifestyle, because there is too much to do and people don't have to go to the arena to spend their time. The market is split in many divisions of entertainment and leisure, and you can make the same comparison in Florida and California really.

It's pretty simple, the system works. If Phoenix can't sustain a hockey team, and the team moves, then they are not a professional hockey market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->