GDT: Quarterfinal - February 21 - Russia (6) vs Norway (1)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Actually I don't like that way of doing it. It makes it impossible to watch games as a rerun/ recording while trying to read the gamethread as entertainment. Spoiling 100 %. I know, sometimes you will get spoiled, but I occascionally actually try to do that. Not here, so that's not the issue.

Did you guys see the puck hit inside the Norwegian goal once, I assume it hit the camera, and no-one noticed? Play just went on. A goal never noticed. As expected, it was enough of the Russian goals who did get noticed, but weird.

The next game break happened after another Russian goal, so I assume, nobody cared. It's just Dats didn't get a goal for a personal statistics, but I doubt he cares too much. Gusev would get a primary assist in both cases, btw.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Not that I like Znarok but let's be real, in 2010 or 2014 not even Houdini would have beaten Canada

That greatly overstates the case! The USA beat them in the preliminaries in 2010, and lost in the Gold Medal game on a great effort and lucky bounce by Crosby in overtime. They certainly had more depth than other teams in 2014, but it was great coaching and defense that caused them to go undefeated. They really didn't blow anybody out!

The Russian teams were pathetic in 2010 and 2014 because of inadequate coaching, and the reality that half the teams were from the NHL and the other half from Russia - it was like putting Mongolians and Bolivians together. By all accounts, they hardly even spoke to each other. I've made my views on Znarok known, but in many ways the 2018 team might have done better than the 2010 and 2014 teams, mainly because they play in the same league, are peers, and play better together. It doesn't matter if you have Ovechkin and Malkin if they only score 3 goals combined throughout the tournament, as they did in 2014.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
The Russian teams were pathetic in 2010 and 2014 because of inadequate coaching, and the reality that half the teams were from the NHL and the other half from Russia - it was like putting Mongolians and Bolivians together. By all accounts, they hardly even spoke to each other. I've made my views on Znarok known, but in many ways the 2018 team might have done better than the 2010 and 2014 teams, mainly because they play in the same league, are peers, and play better together. It doesn't matter if you have Ovechkin and Malkin if they only score 3 goals combined throughout the tournament, as they did in 2014.

On this I agree, even though a few NHL players showed to mix very well with KHLers (Kucherov, Kuznetsov) last year

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
That greatly overstates the case! The USA beat them in the preliminaries in 2010, and lost in the Gold Medal game on a great effort and lucky bounce by Crosby in overtime. They certainly had more depth than other teams in 2014, but it was great coaching and defense that caused them to go undefeated. They really didn't blow anybody out!

I think the gap between Russia and North Americans is bigger. The Russians has no find an answer in best to best vs CAN and US. Sweden is a little bit better and Finland make pressure in future. No easy times for russian hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad