WJC: Quarter Final Talk!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Again, there have been very few tournaments in Europe in recent years. Here they are since 2000, but if we go back farther the Canadian victories only increase. However, since 2000 Canada still has the most gold medals. As has been already stated, if Canada struggles on big ice, then everyone else struggles more.

2020 - Canada gold
2016 - Finland gold
2014 - Finland gold
2013 - USA gold
2008 - Canada gold
2007 - Canada gold
2004 - USA gold
2002 - Russia gold
2001 - Czechia gold
2000 - Czechia gold
Last four tournaments in europe are 1 gold and 3 tourneys with nothing. 1 for 4

Last four tournaments in North America are 2 gold's, a silver and nothing. 3 for 4

This isn't me saying they'll lose but it's fact they do worse in Europe then north america in the last decade.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'll be glad when Canada's game vs Czechia is over.
I have a BAD feeling. :(
So do I. Still pissed at the start time. Now in Quebec and will be watching the game instead of skiing at 830... Grrr. Imagine sitting in front of a ski hill and not skiing to watch your team lose. Double kick in the balls.

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
Someone already debunked the idea there is a more winning team on European ice than Canada. That said, they're less dominant.

Reactions: Czechboy

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Last four tournaments in europe are 1 gold and 3 tourneys with nothing. 1 for 4

Last four tournaments in North America are 2 gold's, a silver and nothing. 3 for 4

This isn't me saying they'll lose but it's fact they do worse in Europe then north america in the last decade.
Obviously, you guys are addressing two different questions. Fwiw: I prefer to look at it from Czechboys angle. Canada is always a favorite for gold. But they’re more of a favorite in NA than they are in Europe.

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
Obviously, you guys are addressing two different questions. Fwiw: I prefer to look at it from Czechboys angle. Canada is always a favorite for gold. But they’re more of a favorite in NA than they are in Europe.
Right, in NA Canada may have a slight edge versus the field, whereas in Europe the field has a strong advantage, but not any one particular team over Canada.

Reactions: Statsy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Someone already debunked the idea there is a more winning team on European ice than Canada. That said, they're less dominant.
No one is more dominant than Canada here. That's also fact and their closest medal comparison is currently banned. The second highest gold medalist playing is Finland at 5 to Canada's 20.lol

Reactions: FastEddie

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
That Geekie is allowed to play in the quarters should shut up canadians who whine about the IIHF being soft, that hit would have rendered a suspension in any hockey league in the world (even the NHL who is famous for promoting violence & dangerous plays).

Hopefully Geekie has learnt a lesson and understands his main objective is to score goals and not to obliterate people at all cost!

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Any word on Savoie? I know he practiced.

Czexhs are down a top 6 winger.. sapousek. We also lost jiricek in game 1 in the Slovakia beatdown. Ftr... His replacement has been great in Tomas galvas. We called up a guy today that I wanted to see in metalarsky. Curious how he does . Imagine your first game being against Canada in an elimination game?lol

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
That Geekie is allowed to play in the quarters should shut up canadians who whine about the IIHF being soft, that hit would have rendered a suspension in any hockey league in the world (even the NHL who is famous for promoting violence & dangerous plays).

Hopefully Geekie has learnt a lesson and understands his main objective is to score goals and not to obliterate people at all cost!

In any legit league he isn’t even penalized. It’s only in the soft cock IIHF run tournament or leagues that are too soft to allow contact that it is even considered wrong.

Hopefully the IIHF and weak ass Euro refs understand that this is hockey not figure skating.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
USA vs Latvia:
If USA gets off to a good start we'll see double digits. If Latvia catches them off guard and plays hard... USA probably still pulls ahead in the 3rd period and wins like 5-2 or something. Latvia would need to be super clinical to pull off an upset, it's hard to see one happening. I'll predict 8-2 USA.

Sweden vs Switzerland:
Since Sweden seems content to win with less goals than other top teams and Switzerland has looked fairly solid aside from the USA game where they played their 3rd goalie and got down 5-1 early, the score may be close in this one. Sweden should still control the play and win by multiple goals. I'll say Switzerland loses a hard-fought 4-2 game, giving them hope for next year where they should be better (I think?)

Slovakia vs Finland:
A lot of things point to Slovakia being the more dangerous team but Finland won quite easily in the pre-tournament game from what I heard. Slovakia had a better preliminary round than Finland but are coming off a disappointing loss while Finland just beat Sweden. Still, I'll say Slovakia takes this 5-4 in OT.

Canada vs Czechia:
The Czechs have looked better and more efficient so far. Of course, Canada could just turn things around and suddenly start looking like a gold medal team. But I'll predict a 4-3 loss in regulation here

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
USA vs Latvia:
If USA gets off to a good start we'll see double digits. If Latvia catches them off guard and plays hard... USA probably still pulls ahead in the 3rd period and wins like 5-2 or something. Latvia would need to be super clinical to pull off an upset, it's hard to see one happening. I'll predict 8-2 USA.

Sweden vs Switzerland:
Since Sweden seems content to win with less goals than other top teams and Switzerland has looked fairly solid aside from the USA game where they played their 3rd goalie and got down 5-1 early, the score may be close in this one. Sweden should still control the play and win by multiple goals. I'll say Switzerland loses a hard-fought 4-2 game, giving them hope for next year where they should be better (I think?)

Slovakia vs Finland:
A lot of things point to Slovakia being the more dangerous team but Finland won quite easily in the pre-tournament game from what I heard. Slovakia had a better preliminary round than Finland but are coming off a disappointing loss while Finland just beat Sweden. Still, I'll say Slovakia takes this 5-4 in OT.

Canada vs Czechia:
The Czechs have looked better and more efficient so far. Of course, Canada could just turn things around and suddenly start looking like a gold medal team. But I'll predict a 4-3 loss in regulation here
Canada always come together when it counts. It's uncanny and impressive. I could see them blow the doors off in the first twenty.
If we are down 1-0 after one I'd actually be happy.lol

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
IMG_3559.jpeg

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Sweden. Should be pretty expected
USA. Need to be ready from puck drop
Canada. they’re Canada and will find “it”
Finland Seem to find a way

Reactions: allroundfan

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sweden. Should be pretty expected
USA. Need to be ready from puck drop
Canada. they’re Canada and will find “it”
Finland Seem to find a way
There is usually ONE upset in the Quarters...

* Neither the U.S. nor Sweden are losing.
* The Finland / Slovakia game could go either way and it would not be an upset.

That leaves Canada / Czechia.

• Love
Reactions: Goodman68

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
I enjoy the historical debates but I don't think this year's Canada can beat either Sweden or the USA in the elimination rounds. It's a mediocre Canada. But there are a lot of weird things about this tournament. The Finns, for example.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I enjoy the historical debates but I don't think this year's Canada can beat either Sweden or the USA in the elimination rounds. It's a mediocre Canada. But there are a lot of weird things about this tournament. The Finns, for example.
Just shoot pool, Fast Eddie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad