GDT: Quarter Final | Canada Vs Czech Republic | 1/2 @ 6:30PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
The refs have been awful in this tournament in general, but no clear bias towards Canadians.

The IIHF didn’t choose to have only Canadian referees because they have some big conspiracy and want Canada to win. It’s because there’s a global god damn pandemic going on. If you can’t understand that, then I think it’s just a sad state of affairs.
Just the part where they brought hundreds if not over a thousand (with TV crews and service staff) of people from all over the world into a bubble, but couldn't do the same for additional 20-30 Arguably most important people, which they still brought but instead from different parts of Canada... But who needs logic when you got covid

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just the part where they brought hundreds if not over a thousand (with TV crews and service staff) of people from all over the world into a bubble, but couldn't do the same for additional 20-30 Arguably most important people, which they still brought but instead from different parts of Canada... But who needs logic when you got covid
Speaking of logic, what’s more logical? That the IIHF decided that they wanted Canada to win for whatever reason and so they allowed only Canadians to ref? Or that they didn’t want to add more people from other countries to the bubble when the virus is as volatile as it is, and they trust their officials to do a good job?

It’s not like Canada even needs the refs in their pockets to win this tournament. They’ve won several other tournaments but I guess that was because of the refs too.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Speaking of logic, what’s more logical? That the IIHF decided that they wanted Canada to win for whatever reason and so they allowed only Canadians to ref? Or that they didn’t want to add more people from other countries to the bubble when the virus is as volatile as it is, and they trust their officials to do a good job?

It’s not like Canada even needs the refs in their pockets to win this tournament. They’ve won several other tournaments but I guess that was because of the refs too.
I think the logic is they dictate the terms of tournament and took advantage of the situation - when the question about refereeing came up, going with 'Canadian only' was more lucrative and so they did.

Ethics is a way more complex subject than most people think, and it is times like these the decision makers can sway small but important details in their favor without attracting attention.

Don't forget that these decision makers have their interests, and doing things in interestof Hockey Canada and its tournament is #1.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think the logic is they dictate the terms of tournament and took advantage of the situation - when the question about refereeing came up, going with 'Canadian only' was more lucrative and so they did.

Ethics is a way more complex subject than most people think, and it is times like these the decision makers can sway small but important details in their favor without attracting attention.

Don't forget that these decision makers have their interests, and doing things in interestof Hockey Canada and its tournament is #1.
Okay, I’ll let you believe that. I disagree, but you’re certainly entitled to thinking this.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
And how does your media portray your players and players on other teams on broadcasts?

I'll probably get a response here saying...."it's very balanced, not over the top for our players or any other, no undue criticism of the other teams, done professionally and without any bias whatsoever"

Which I already know is horse shit.

If that is what it was gonna be please save yourself and me the time. Your viewpoint is 100% percent filtered through bias and we know what the bias is.

The way Russian media typically does it with regards to Team Canada (any Team Canada at any level) is to underplay it...there's nothing special about them, just your typical, average Canadian style of game, aggressive gorillas let out of their cage will try to win it the first 10 minutes sort of nonsense. They'll mention, have mentioned that this particular team does have/did have 20 1st. rounders, but always with the caveat of "so what ---so did the Team Canada in Buffalo have a plethora of 1st. rounders. Nothing the superior Russian game can't handle.

If it turns out they can't handle it, and in fact lose, there'll be a whole list of excuses as to what unfolded...mostly blamed on the officiating or unfair schedule etc.

If they happen to win - -- suddenly this particular Team Canada will take on mythic status, a historic dream team. A dream team for all of time, the best Team Canada ever assembled.

Enjoy the game... should be a blast.

Reactions: jj cale

Antonglk

Dec 28, 2012
Moscow, Russia
The way Russian media typically does it with regards to Team Canada (any Team Canada at any level) is to underplay it...there's nothing special about them, just your typical, average Canadian style of game, aggressive gorillas let out of their cage will try to win it the first 10 minutes sort of nonsense. They'll mention, have mentioned that this particular team does have/did have 20 1st. rounders, but always with the caveat of "so what ---so did the Team Canada in Buffalo have a plethora of 1st. rounders. Nothing the superior Russian game can't handle.

Enjoy the game... should be a blast.

Not really. It was in that way before in a soviet era times. But now TV media in Russia praise how Canada changed the way of talent development. Many times they were told to audience that Canadian game is changed.
And there is no bias in Russian media towards the specific players in team Canada.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Not really. It was in that way before in a soviet era times. But now TV media in Russia praise how Canada changed the way of talent development. Many times they were told to audience that Canadian game is changed.
And there is no bias in Russian media towards the specific players in team Canada.

who? The Russian play-by-play guy and analyst on Russian broadcast? No, they do not. but I was speaking more about print media/websites. sovsport.ru, championat.com sport-express.ru, allhockey.ru. There were a couple of good analysts that were objective/fair. Gimaev. but he passed away a few years ago. One other I can't remember his name...but I just remember him from his work after the 2015 WHC final in Prague.

At some point over the next month or two when I get a Saturday morning to youtube the Russian broadcast of the game that will go this evening, I'll listen closely, and if I hear anything like you are suggesting, I will get back to you and report here.

Reactions: jj cale

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
If hypothetically speaking those are the two best players, you realize that Dach last year had 23 points in 64 games and Lafreniere has never played an NHL game yet?

Even the Wings have established good players such as Larkin, Mantha, Hronek. Chances are that Canada's (or any junior team) best players are not as good as those players or close to it. And then there's that the goaltenders are obviously nowhere near NHL ready, and a lot of the players near the bottom end of the roster are not that close to NHL ready either.

Key word I said they'd probably beat some NHL teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad