GDT: Quarter Final | Canada Vs Czech Republic | 1/2 @ 6:30PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s not complaining about the refs that’s the problem, it’s the fact people think that the refs always favour Canada. I don’t think I’ve ever watched an NHL game and said “the refs always favour [insert team] and are against us”.

The refs always favour the Pittsburgh Penguins. ;)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No fans in the arena to document what happened. I expect the TSN cameras to save at least three Canadian pucks from heading out. The good old Canadian refs will make sure that there are no other penalties levied against Canada. As for Russia, let's just say I hope for their sake that they've been practicing killing 5-on-3s.

hahah you guys already know there are people who won’t get the sarcasm and actually believe this. Especially if English isn’t their mother tongue and the sniping sarcasm of native English speakers doesn’t always come across as obvious to non first language English speakers.

Some of it is bonkers on the conspiracy front.

There’s literally no evidence of the refs favouring any team. It’s been by and large a well officiated event. Probably let a bit more go like they would in any standard game held in Canada for every team compared to strict IIHF standards. But, they’ve called the blatant penalties for each teams and generally let the kids on the ice play and sort the winner out for themselves.

They’ve been pretty unnoticeable which generally means they’re doing a good job. Only complaints coming from hypotheticals here rather than what has actually occurred. If Canada wins it won’t be because of the refs, it’ll be because we’re the better team.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
But Russia beat the States? They also beat the streak. They also have Askarov. I'm just saying.lol

Semi's will be awesome regardless. Any 4 could win and I wouldn't be shocked.
Yes but every game is different obviously. Russia also lost to Czechs and barely beat Germany today. I just think USA has looked more impressive overall.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I hope to see you folks around in the other GDT’s, but in case I do not:

It has been an absolute pleasure to interact and learn so much about Czech Republic hockey from @Czechboy , @czechcanadian , @BigBadBoar , @vil & I’m sure there are more I’m missing.

I’ve mentioned it in your Team Thread already, but your group is so patriotic, while being so humble and classy.

I look forward to connecting with you all next year.

All the best to you, my HF friends.
View attachment 381657
All those guys are solid.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Just saw highlights of game man that was some pass to Cozens to start the scoring by McMichael

Reactions: tenken00

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This game reminded me of the Sochi Olympic team. Basically played on autopilot with not much happening, but so organized defensively that it just didn't matter and the two goal lead felt as safe as a 5 goal lead basically the entire game.

Kind of boring tbh but I can't really complain. Russia will bring their A game against us as always, so we'll need to bring the game we played against Finland.

Reactions: 1989

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The refs have been awful in this tournament in general, but no clear bias towards Canadians.

The IIHF didn’t choose to have only Canadian referees because they have some big conspiracy and want Canada to win. It’s because there’s a global god damn pandemic going on. If you can’t understand that, then I think it’s just a sad state of affairs.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
hahah you guys already know there are people who won’t get the sarcasm and actually believe this. Especially if English isn’t their mother tongue and the sniping sarcasm of native English speakers doesn’t always come across as obvious to non first language English speakers.

Some of it is bonkers on the conspiracy front.

There’s literally no evidence of the refs favouring any team. It’s been by and large a well officiated event. Probably let a bit more go like they would in any standard game held in Canada for every team compared to strict IIHF standards. But, they’ve called the blatant penalties for each teams and generally let the kids on the ice play and sort the winner out for themselves.

They’ve been pretty unnoticeable which generally means they’re doing a good job. Only complaints coming from hypotheticals here rather than what has actually occurred. If Canada wins it won’t be because of the refs, it’ll be because we’re the better team.

who cares? you worry about this too much...if people are prone to conspiracy nonsense they'll believe it no matter what their lying eyes tell them.

The ref blew a call in the 2nd. would have changed the outcome. game is rigged. It's how they come to deal with a 1 gold medal in 17 years track record.

My American wife, two dual toddlers and I are looking forward to a Canada-USA Gold Medal Game. Hopefully it plays out that way.

and if you want to enjoy the tournament more spend less time in this forum fretting over all the hf nonsense

Last edited:

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
How much time do you have and how good is my memory over all these years?

Gee, they were praising Abramov just the other day.

How much do you watch and for how long? There is no way to miss it if you meet the just mentioned criteria, it's their job, that is how TSN hypes this whole tournament up.

Well, sometimes they do praise some of the Russian players, but generally only the ones where you know they'll be drafted soon, etc. They do that much more to Team Canada though. I can understand that they have some bias, seeing as though this is intended for a largely Canadian audience, but c'mon "He's going to be suuch a stud in the NHL" is almost like drooling. Then again, many Canadians on this board have already said that they overdo it, so I guess it's no secret for you guys :).

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, sometimes they do praise some of the Russian players, but generally only the ones where you know they'll be drafted soon, etc. They do that much more to Team Canada though. I can understand that they have some bias, seeing as though this is intended for a largely Canadian audience, but c'mon "He's going to be suuch a stud in the NHL" is almost like drooling. Then again, many Canadians on this board have already said that they overdo it, so I guess it's no secret for you guys :).
And how does your media portray your players and players on other teams on broadcasts?

I'll probably get a response here saying...."it's very balanced, not over the top for our players or any other, no undue criticism of the other teams, done professionally and without any bias whatsoever"

Which I already know is horse shit.

If that is what it was gonna be please save yourself and me the time. Your viewpoint is 100% percent filtered through bias and we know what the bias is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
These talented forwards are blessed by being fed by a nearly NHL level D corps on a few teams!

I hope you aren't serious. People always think the best amateur teams are good enough to play with pros in hockey or basketball or football, but think of it like this. How many of these players are even good enough to make their NHL teams this season? Byram, Harley, and maybe Drysdale. The rest aren't. The rest are at best AHL level defensemen right now. So at best you have three NHL defensemen and the rest AHL level. Even the team with the worst defensemen in the league (maybe Detroit or New Jersey) have multiple top four defensemen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let's sit the goalie that shutout Russia... classic Czech.
Let's sit the goalie(s) that are drafted and play the undrafted one... classic Czech.

I really don't understand it. Malik isn't terrible, but Czech's had at least two better goalies, arguably three with Dobes. I think Parik is arguably the best Czech player right now eligible for this team. I'm not sure why he didn't get a full tournament as the starter. Poor coaching, as I view it.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
God damn, Malik can't be the best goalie for the Czechs? The year after goalies like Dostal and Skarek you get this :/... The game is over already.

He's their 3rd or 4th best goalie. Maybe 5th. They have a pretty good draft-eligible for this year, as well.

Poor coaching.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I keep imagining this team with Lafreniere and Dach. Would probably beat some NHL teams.

If hypothetically speaking those are the two best players, you realize that Dach last year had 23 points in 64 games and Lafreniere has never played an NHL game yet?

Even the Wings have established good players such as Larkin, Mantha, Hronek. Chances are that Canada's (or any junior team) best players are not as good as those players or close to it. And then there's that the goaltenders are obviously nowhere near NHL ready, and a lot of the players near the bottom end of the roster are not that close to NHL ready either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad