Euro: QF: Ukraine v England, 7/3/2021

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I, or at least in my case, I think it is because they believe they are the center of the football universe when reality is completely different. It is very funny that they have never won anything, but it is certainly not a coincidence. In some ways they are a bit reminiscent of a certain hockey team .btw of course they are arrogant, not France level obviously..
They don’t actually think they are the center of the footballing universe. I don’t really think so at least. Things like ”it’s coming home” are said in a half-ironic, lighthearted manner. The perceived ”arrogance” from English fans is mostly banter.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It really seems fashionable to hate England and call their fans arrogant based on nothing. Kind of gives me a reason to like them. This "England are perennial underachievers" narrative is also a bit exaggerated.

Other than Scottish fans, does anyone care enough about England to hate them? The english press is obnoxious & some of their fans who've crawled out of the woodworks, make you appreciate the regulars we've got around here even more...but that's not the same as disliking that team.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If England end up winning the whole tournament we will hear about it for next at least 50 years which is not the case with any other of the remaining countries so let's hope for any other team than England winning.
They are not bragging about '66 50 years later. At least not that I know of.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
They don’t actually think they are the center of the footballing universe. I don’t really think so at least. Things like ”it’s coming home” are said in a half-ironic, lighthearted manner. The perceived ”arrogance” from English fans is mostly banter.
It's coming home is the song of England fans. Like Blowing Bubbles for West Ham and Marching on Together for Leeds. I don't believe many England fans actually believed that they were winning the 2010 World Cup with the likes of Barry, Heskey, Warnock, Crouch, Upson and King in the squad, despite belting out It's coming home.

That summer of 96 was possibly the best summer I've ever lived. After a horrendous start to the year with a bad winter (for UK standards) and the sad events of the Dublane Massacre, that song absolutely captured the mood of the nation that summer. The prospect of moving on from the Major government and into the promise of the "New Labour" government had everyone dreaming. Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger belting out every window. The Spice Girls for the ladies.

People shouldn't take that song to heart so much. It's really England fans dreaming and bringing themselves back to a summer where anything seemed possible, even when the whole World hated you for your nationality.

IMO

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's coming home is the song of England fans. Like Blowing Bubbles for West Ham and Marching on Together for Leeds. I don't believe many England fans actually believed that they were winning the 2010 World Cup with the likes of Barry, Heskey, Warnock, Crouch, Upson and King in the squad, despite belting out It's coming home.

That summer of 96 was possibly the best summer I've ever lived. After a horrendous start to the year with a bad winter (for UK standards) and the sad events of the Dublane Massacre, that song absolutely captured the mood of the nation that summer. The prospect of moving on from the Major government and into the promise of the "New Labour" government had everyone dreaming. Wonderwall and Don't Look Back in Anger belting out every window. The Spice Girls for the ladies.

People shouldn't take that song to heart so much. It's really England fans dreaming and bringing themselves back to a summer where anything seemed possible, even when the whole World hated you for your nationality.

IMO
Oh, I'm sure people would've disliked you for your personality even if they didn't know your nationality :sarcasm:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

IMO
That’s what I thought. It’s just cultural banter but people don’t realise it and that song is probably a large reason why people assume English fans are overconfident

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That’s what I thought. It’s just cultural banter but people don’t realise it and that song is probably a large reason why people assume English fans are overconfident

Yeah, I'm sure it's that silly song and not england fans' behavior that makes some of them so charming...

Reactions: luiginb

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
If I know my chickens well I don't know whether to be more worried by the delta variant or by public order since in my opinion there is a big risk of clashes around the city.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah, I'm sure it's that silly song and not england fans' behavior that makes some of them so charming...
I really don’t see much wrong in English fans general behaviour. .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really don’t see much wrong in English fans general behaviour. .
I'm probably the wrong one to be making this point as I generally like english fans & we've got a lot of good ones on this board...who I will genuinely be happy for, if they win it all this summer. Plus I generally like to see them do well...one of my earliest memories of non-German-NT & non-Union-Berlin football, was staying up late to cheer for england against argentina during the WC. And even the more obnoxious (but harmless) ones I can enjoy teasing; which is why I like "it's coming home" & laugh whenever I hear "10 german bombers"

...but they are not the ones who people dislike. It's the ones who get violent when they're supporting the team abroad, who boo their own team kneeling, who booed our anthem, who dismiss any football outside of the EPL, and then play the victim by pretending like disliking them personally is all due to some sort of dislike for english people in general...

Not as bad as Russian or Hungarian ultras...obviously...but still, not the kind of behavior that engenders a lot of love from other fanbases.

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

IMO

I bought the original single of "Three Lions" in 1996. I thought it was the best football song I'd ever heard (New Order - World in Motion was about two years before I really started paying attention to pop music) and an all around great pop song. At the time I was also massively into Britpop in general. The linkage of football with cool pop culture was eye-opening. Up to that point I was used to football culture being a mix of yob culture and (to a teenager) cringeworthy parochial folk culture.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

IMO

I was at the 4-0 Holland game with my late father one of the best nights of my life. I distinctly remember when we were 3-0 up and thinking "if we score another we'll be 4-0 up against Holland. When we scored the 4th it was surreal, an out of body experience, not a "yeah mate, we're Ingerland this is what we shud always do"

Most England fans (NOT the media) are well aware of our true talent level and expectations every tournament - hope to get out of the group stage before we lose to one of the big hitters. Occasionally we'll go on a bit of a run and make the semis, occasionally we'll have an Iceland moment, occasionally we'll completely shit the bed like in Brazil. The exception to this was our "Golden Generation" in the noughties which completely under achieved. But it seems like we're the only nation that's not allowed to enjoy it when we win a few games.

As for 3 Lions being some kind of jingoistic flag waver....smh. I guess I shouldn't expect all the non-Brits in here to know who Baddiel and Skinner are, what they stood for and what their TV show "Fantasy Football" did for fans in the mid 90s.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I was at the 4-0 Holland game with my late father one of the best nights of my life. I distinctly remember when we were 3-0 up and thinking "if we score another we'll be 4-0 up against Holland. When we scored the 4th it was surreal, an out of body experience, not a "yeah mate, we're Ingerland this is what we shud always do"

Most England fans (NOT the media) are well aware of our true talent level and expectations every tournament - hope to get out of the group stage before we lose to one of the big hitters. Occasionally we'll go on a bit of a run and make the semis, occasionally we'll have an Iceland moment, occasionally we'll completely shit the bed like in Brazil. The exception to this was our "Golden Generation" in the noughties which completely under achieved. But it seems like we're the only nation that's not allowed to enjoy it when we win a few games.

As for 3 Lions being some kind of jingoistic flag waver....smh. I guess I shouldn't expect all the non-Brits in here to know who Baddiel and Skinner are, what they stood for and what their TV show "Fantasy Football" did for fans in the mid 90s.
Couldn't agree more. I may have my years mixed up, but I think 96 was the mad cow disease crisis, the IRA were still actively bombing that year had all the makings of a typical English/British year. And then that summer happened. Baddiel and Skinner (and Statto, Statto, Statto) completely changed that year for most, with the exception of Jason Lee, haha.

The while dentist chair and airplane debacle with the team made it feel like it would be another failure and, and then they actually showed up. Gazza, Pearce, Shearer, Seaman, allowing Kluivert to score to knock out the Scots. Just an unbelievable time.

Anywho, I can easily see Ukraine winning on Saturday, but Southgate and the squad have definitely turned the ship around in the right direction and the future looks bright.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I'm probably the wrong one to be making this point as I generally like english fans & we've got a lot of good ones on this board...who I will genuinely be happy for, if they win it all this summer. Plus I generally like to see them do well...one of my earliest memories of non-German-NT & non-Union-Berlin football, was staying up late to cheer for england against argentina during the WC. And even the more obnoxious (but harmless) ones I can enjoy teasing; which is why I like "it's coming home" & laugh whenever I hear "10 german bombers"

...but they are not the ones who people dislike. It's the ones who get violent when they're supporting the team abroad, who boo their own team kneeling, who booed our anthem, who dismiss any football outside of the EPL, and then play the victim by pretending like disliking them personally is all due to some sort of dislike for english people in general...

Not as bad as Russian or Hungarian ultras...obviously...but still, not the kind of behavior that engenders a lot of love from other fanbases.
I don’t think English fans are more violent abroad than fans from anywhere else. Dismissing football outside of the EPL is a natural reaction when you live England, especially since the Premier League is by far the most popular and financially profitable league in the world. I do think some English supporters are dismissive of football abroad, but so are Spanish, German and Italian fans.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
english people are terrified of sweden. look at historical results beetween sweden and england, sweden always played good against england.

for ukraines sake, they have to start malinovisky, why on earth did he start on the bench today.

I can, in fact, confirm that we are not terrified of Sweden.

Loved Anders Svensson though, great player for my home town Southampton. Michael Svensson's hideous injuries were a shame, feel he could of played for a top Premiership side.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
It really seems fashionable to hate England and call their fans arrogant based on nothing. Kind of gives me a reason to like them. This "England are perennial underachievers" narrative is also a bit exaggerated.

Trust me, nobody actually believes that we "deserve" anything. We know that we've been shit since '66.

I mean everyone shits on us for "It's coming home", but people don't even listen to the bloody lyrics. It's as pessimistic as you can get...

Everyone seems to know the score, they've seen it all before
They just know, they're so sure
That England's gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away
But I know they can play, 'cause I remember

It's about knowing we're crap, but that we hold out hope we can win it all.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Trust me, nobody actually believes that we "deserve" anything. We know that we've been shit since '66.

I mean everyone shits on us for "It's coming home", but people don't even listen to the bloody lyrics. It's as pessimistic as you can get...

Everyone seems to know the score, they've seen it all before
They just know, they're so sure
That England's gonna throw it away, gonna blow it away
But I know they can play, 'cause I remember

It's about knowing we're crap, but that we hold out hope we can win it all.

So many jokes, so many sneers
But all those oh-so-nears
Wear you down
Through the years

The sheer arrogance.

Reactions: cgf

member 305909

I can't see England losing to Ukraine but the Czechs or Denmark could be this year's version of Croatia which will spoil England's party.

So dont start planning the parade-route just yet!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I can, in fact, confirm that we are not terrified of Sweden.

Loved Anders Svensson though, great player for my home town Southampton. Michael Svensson's hideous injuries were a shame, feel he could of played for a top Premiership side.

england could not beat us in like 20 years .

what did u think of andreas jakobsson and mikael nilsson

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes