Euro: QF: Ukraine v England, 7/3/2021

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Oh, well that stinks. The whole procedure passed by me.

That's why I don't complain about someone saying the draw was rigged. It was rigged in a lot of ways. The fortunate part for England is they didn't have to play Portugal who most everyone agreed was the second best team in their group.

The funny thing to me here is the Netherlands were given a free road to the SF, the draw was fixed so they had to play Ukraine in the group, and then Romania (if they qualified) or North Macedonia in the group, so only one of their group opponents was random. Then they still bottled it against a third place team. The draw was actually most rigged in their favor, much more than all the other teams. If the best team you would have played all tournament is Denmark and you still don't make the SF, lol.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Several posters are implying that someone (as in UEFA) designed this path for England.

What a joke. We were handed a group that gave us the toughest possible second game possible with Portugal/France/Germany. We’d have played the Dutch in the semi had it gone to plan for them too. Just a totally insane thing to say.

Reactions: al secord

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
That's why I don't complain about someone saying the draw was rigged. It was rigged in a lot of ways. The fortunate part for England is they didn't have to play Portugal who most everyone agreed was the second best team in their group.

The funny thing to me here is the Netherlands were given a free road to the SF, the draw was fixed so they had to play Ukraine in the group, and then Romania (if they qualified) or North Macedonia in the group, so only one of their group opponents was random. Then they still bottled it against a third place team. The draw was actually most rigged in their favor, much more than all the other teams. If the best team you would have played all tournament is Denmark and you still don't make the SF, lol.
I need to read up on that. That sounds like a hortible idea.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Boris caved in. I remember talks about how public health comes first.

We’ll be something like 70% double jabbed by then. I’m no fan or defender of Johnson the charlatan, but public health did come first and now we can afford to do things like 60k at Wembley.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Frank De Boer and Jogi Low ladies and gentlemen.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I've never seen so much complaining as in an England thread. So, so, so weird.

An enjoyable game, had by all. And I thought Ukraine did themselves proud, with a good shift.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
We’ll be something like 70% double jabbed by then. I’m no fan or defender of Johnson the charlatan, but public health did come first and now we can afford to do things like 60k at Wembley.
2k Scottish fans apprently caught it during the derby. Are they double jabbed as well?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't see how anyone could call it 'unfair' that England hosts the final four unless you think the only fair way for the tournament to work is all matches being played in an empty carpark in Luxembourg.

If they hadn't done the weird Europe-wide tournament thing then this whole tournament may well have been hosted by England and that'd be fine.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't see how anyone could call it 'unfair' that England hosts the final four unless you think the only fair way for the tournament to work is all matches being played in an empty carpark in Luxembourg.

If they hadn't done the weird Europe-wide tournament thing then this whole tournament may well have been hosted by England and that'd be fine.

The fixed group draw is the unfair part. The part where teams that aren’t hosts have to be drawn into locked in groups is completely absurd.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The fixed group draw is the unfair part. The part where teams that aren’t hosts have to be drawn into locked in groups is completely absurd.

But in spite of that 'fixed' part (which is indeed awful), the format would have allowed for the scenario of England ending up in what ended up being Germany's spot in the "Group of Death"? So unless they fixed the actual draw the format didn't exactly guarantee England an easy path.

England does seem to often get 'lucky' draws in big tournaments these days, but there's been other outcomes too (see Euro 2000, Euro 2004 or even WC 90). It all evens out. I am not the world's biggest fan of England, but I don't approve of these attempts to already add an asterisk to England's potential title before they've even won it. Unless you want to add an asterisk to France winning tournaments at home in 1984 or 1998.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad