Euro: QF: Czech Republic v Denmark, 7/3/2021

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
But why? We beat the Germans fair and square?

Why the hate almost 30 years later?
Because they beat us in a final. It's not hate, just a slight dislike. I can accept them being good. I would have preferred the Czechs. Yeah, I know they beat us in a final as well, but I was not even 3 so I don't remember it. For the Danish game, I was at a prom and everybody watched the game and the Danish rained on our parade.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
What is your gripe with Denmark?

It’s weird - Most Danes cheer for Sweden when they don’t play Denmark.
Just a friendly rivalry really. In football specifically, the danish people I know wouldn't support Sweden, and we don't support Denmark. It's like supporting Finland in hockey or Norway in skiing.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Because they beat us in a final. It's not hate, just a slight dislike. I can accept them being good. I would have prefered the Czechs. Yeah, I know they beat us in a final as well, but I was not even 3 so I don't remember it. For the Danish game, I was at a prom and everybody watched the game and the Danish rained on our parade.
Fair enough

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Just a friendly rivalry really. In football specifically, the danish people I know wouldn't support Sweden, and we don't support Denmark. It's like supporting Finland in hockey or Norway in skiing.
Most Danes I know, always support them.

Anyway sorry it pisses you off

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Feels like the Czechs ran out of gas around minute 60 and tbh most of the Danish players did too outside of some subs like Poulsen. The Danes did seem to have far more chances against the Czechs than what England generated so I think they have a shot against England especially if they score first. The Danish attacking players have a chemistry that England don't. I assume it's from a better manager who has them playing faster but dunno.

It has to largely be the heat though. World Cup 2026 is gonna be a shitshow of low quality slow games as it's in the increasingly climate-changed North American summer

You don't have to wait until 2026 for that. Qatar hosts 2022.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Once again: Denmark can beat England but only England can beat Italy/Spain.

I know, I'm taking tonight's match for granted but Ukraine beating England would be even a bigger surprise than the Swiss-France match.
Why would that be an even bigger surprise? In terms of talent no other team in the tournament touches France, and Ukraine are an underrated team; probably on par if not better than Switzerland.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
we don't support Denmark.

Uh, good to know you speak for the whole Swedish population on this issue? Perhaps in your little clique of friends, you want Denmark to lose, but I don't think the rest of us care the same way. I have nothing against Denmark winning.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
After what happened in their first game, I had a feeling the universe would work for Denmark and so far it's happened.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Uh, good to know you speak for the whole Swedish population on this issue? Perhaps in your little clique of friends, you want Denmark to lose, but I don't think the rest of us care the same way. I have nothing against Denmark winning.
It’s definately a cultural thing. Some parts of Sweden might even actively cheer for Denmark. Most people that care about sport that I know see them as rivals in football just like Finland are our hockey rivals. Some people want them to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad