wru.gif
Russia 4-1
- R16
wwa.gif
eliminated Wales 4-0
- Top goalscorer: Yussuf Poulsen, Kasper Dolberg - 2

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Put this in the other thread, is probably a better fit here.

I knew the Czech would win this - Solid team, and I wrote people were sleeping on them before the Euros started - Also the Dutch were in a deceptively easy group.

Would rather Denmark face The Netherlands tho, as the Czechs do not suit us at all - And most Danes still have nightmares of Baros and Koller in 2004 where they completely dominated a decent Danish side.

I do however wish people would give Denmark more credit tho, they are not winning because of emotions, maybe the game against the Belgians, but they have played like this ever since Hjulmand took over and introduced new young players - This was also evident in the WC quali aswell, where they beat Austria 4-0 in Vienna - The players he has introduced gives him the tools to play a very offensive, intense, high pressing game.

in their last 7 games (WC quali and Euros), they have scored 23 times and let in 4 goals, that includes the fluke penalty from Russia and the fluke Finland game.

I wish they wouldn’t keep, saying fairytale this, fairytale that, as if this is completely out of left field.

I wish they would stop crediting this to Eriksen, as we have a solid team with some good players.
And as mentioned a hundred times, Denmark were not Eriksen plus 10 players, he was not good for Denmark since 2018 tbh - And with him out, it seems play has opened up more, as not everything has to go thru him.

with that said, I am scared of the Czechs, and would even give them the slight edge, (not on paper), but they just do not suit us very well.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Denmark can certainly come out of this half of the bracket.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hjulmand says he would rather have played the Dutch - Like me, he thinks the Czechs are a bad match for us, he thinks they are a great team, and that under no circumstances should we underestimate them.

Says so far we have capitalized on our intensity, but that the Czechs are just as intensive, and that he expects high temperatures in Baku, so we need to find ways to keep possession without sprinting constantly.

We have met the Czechs twice in the Euros - 2000 and 2004: lost both convincingly.

Gotta say, I think the Czechs take this:help::skeptic:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hjulmand says he would rather have played the Dutch - Like me, he thinks the Czechs are a bad match for us, he thinks they are a great team, and that under no circumstances should we underestimate them.

Says so far we have capitalized on our intensity, but that the Czechs are just as intensive, and that he expects high temperatures in Baku, so we need to find ways to keep possession without sprinting constantly.

We have met the Czechs twice in the Euros - 2000 and 2004: lost both convincingly.

Gotta say, I think the Czechs take this:help::skeptic:
It's tough to say... these 2 teams could play 8 teams and probably finish tied 4-4.. maybe Denmark 5-3.

It'll come down to luck as I think both teams will play a very tight system. I'm guessing it'll be a duller affair than today.

I remember those wins in 2000 and 2004 - those were different times for us as we had several superstars. Now we have 1. I'd say this team plays entirely different from those teams. I'd say my best analogy is hockey in that we are like a modern Swiss team where we can upset anyone with team play and hope one of our top players can score.

Basically, we're a good plucky underdog.

As long as Czechs believe they are underdog they should be good to keep it close.

I'll pick Czechs out of pure bias .. however, I think it'll be an extremely close game. It was nice to see other guys step up on offence today and hopefully our D and goalie have good confidence as we've only allowed 2 goals in 4 games against 4 very good oppoenents.

Before it started I would've been thrilled to advance
Then I'd be ecstatic to beat Holland
everything else is gravy at this point!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Had to look it up.. Denmark is 10th in the world.. Czechs are 40th. Danes are probably thrilled to see our name come up!

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Had to look it up.. Denmark is 10th in the world.. Czechs are 40th. Danes are probably thrilled to see our name come up!
Fans yes, coach no.

He has stated he would rather play the Dutch, as you can match our intensity, and play a tight defensive game, which does not suit us well.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It's tough to say... these 2 teams could play 8 teams and probably finish tied 4-4.. maybe Denmark 5-3.

It'll come down to luck as I think both teams will play a very tight system. I'm guessing it'll be a duller affair than today.

I remember those wins in 2000 and 2004 - those were different times for us as we had several superstars. Now we have 1. I'd say this team plays entirely different from those teams. I'd say my best analogy is hockey in that we are like a modern Swiss team where we can upset anyone with team play and hope one of our top players can score.

Basically, we're a good plucky underdog.

As long as Czechs believe they are underdog they should be good to keep it close.

I'll pick Czechs out of pure bias .. however, I think it'll be an extremely close game. It was nice to see other guys step up on offence today and hopefully our D and goalie have good confidence as we've only allowed 2 goals in 4 games against 4 very good oppoenents.

Before it started I would've been thrilled to advance
Then I'd be ecstatic to beat Holland
everything else is gravy at this point!

Think you are correct - Will be a slow game, also have to think of the heat in Baku.

I think Denmark are better on paper, the Czech team is a pure team first team - It is incredible when you see that 2/3 of your team plays in the Czech league.

Hopefully Hjulmand, who is a very smart coach, changes his approach to suit this game, and hopefully all our players take this as a tough game, and not consider you the underdogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

It'll come down to luck as I think both teams will play a very tight system.

Luck, no....who is best on the day, yes.

Any team that are in the quarterfinals deserves to be there. Luck has been eliminated at this point.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Luck, no....who is best on the day, yes.

Any team that are in the quarterfinals deserves to be there. Luck has been eliminated at this point.
Respectfully disagree...

Once you get this far in any sporting event... with such evens teams.. luck becomes a big factor.

Eg. maybe the ref made a bad call and you lost the game?
Maybe your shot hit the post and your opponents shot didn't?
Maybe your opposition player tripped and had to use his hand to knock a ball out of the way with his hand?
Maybe your best player takes a elbow to face on a jump ball and gets bloodied... results in a penalty kick and he scores?
Maybe the opposition goalie kicks into his own net by accident like the recent Canada game? Bad luck for, I think Haiti, but great luck for Canada.

Lots of things out of peoples control. Injuries are bad luck.. maybe your captain gets hurt before the biggest game of the season?

When it is evenly matched, the 'little things' can make a big difference and, sometimes, those little things are good or bad luck.

Reactions: Tmu84 and Havre

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Think you are correct - Will be a slow game, also have to think of the heat in Baku.

I think Denmark are better on paper, the Czech team is a pure team first team - It is incredible when you see that 2/3 of your team plays in the Czech league.

Hopefully Hjulmand, who is a very smart coach, changes his approach to suit this game, and hopefully all our players take this as a tough game, and not consider you the underdogs.
Can you please explain to me why the game is in Baku?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
UEFA wants more money.
How is it profitable to be there? I was reading it's 3000kms away and with a lot of restrictions. No direct flight for Czech fans. I can't imagine many locals showing up to watch them? I'm picturing a relatively empty stadium but that's just my guess.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How is it profitable to be there? I was reading it's 3000kms away and with a lot of restrictions. No direct flight for Czech fans. I can't imagine many locals showing up to watch them? I'm picturing a relatively empty stadium but that's just my guess.
UEFA is just as corrupt as the Super League was. Baku should have never been chosen for anything regardless of domestic or international football. The Arsenal/Chelsea Euro final was played 22-23:00 local time so enough time zones on the western front can catch the game. There won't be any fans because the nation is closer to the middle east than it is to main European countries.

Should be great match, but I have a feeling that Czech's magic will run out here since Danmark seems to be the team of destiny at the current moment.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Azerbaijan's 'president' has been very eager to put Azerbaijan on the map internationally. Azerbaijan has pretty significant oil reserves and its elite is thus filthy rich and also on the 'do not alienate' list of the West . (History trivia: It was those oil fields that the Germans tried to reach when they sent the Sixth Army to Stalingrad). Azerbaijan thus gets what Azerbaijan wants. Kinda like Qatar, Saudi Arabia etc.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Azerbaijan's 'president' has been very eager to put Azerbaijan on the map internationally. Azerbaijan has pretty significant oil reserves and its elite is thus filthy rich and also on the 'do not alienate' list of the West . (History trivia: It was those oil fields that the Germans tried to reach when they sent the Sixth Army to Stalingrad). Azerbaijan thus gets what Azerbaijan wants. Kinda like Qatar, Saudi Arabia etc.

Yeah, not to get political here, but Europe also wants their gas so they can start turning off the pipeline from Russia. They also have a lot of minerals. Giving them the Europa League final and these games is related to that even if UEFA claims that it isn't. When they had the Europa League final they didn't have anywhere near enough rooms to host fans, and they had that final anyway because why? Has to be their money.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Got it... apologies from acccidentally making it political. I literally just had no idea where the match was and googled the arena and though I misunderstood something.lol

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Baku is even more East than most of the Middle East :laugh: like how are Azerbeidzjan a European country even?

Europe goes from The Azores in the west to Ural mountains in the east. Nothing new here. If you want to complain about something it should be Israel competing with UEFA.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad