Q Gold Cup - May 2-5

cgjoe64

Feb 28, 2012
This was a reality check for the teams from the Atlantic provinces. The Quebec teams played at a different level and played a much more mature game. The Defense are used a lot more and there are a lot of shots from the point, while the Atlantic teams spend a lot more time behind the net with the puck. The Quebec teams were physically stronger and moved the puck very well. That being said there were some very good individual performances, but overall the Atlantic teams only had 2-3 players each that could realistically play in the Q

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
This was a reality check for the teams from the Atlantic provinces. The Quebec teams played at a different level and played a much more mature game. The Defense are used a lot more and there are a lot of shots from the point, while the Atlantic teams spend a lot more time behind the net with the puck. The Quebec teams were physically stronger and moved the puck very well. That being said there were some very good individual performances, but overall the Atlantic teams only had 2-3 players each that could realistically play in the Q

Reality check really???

There were 31 1996 born players who played in the Q in 2012-2013 and there were more than 8 coming from the Maritimes....and it will be the case again next season.

That Gold Cup is only one item on the scouts list when looking for players who could be also playing elsewhere....

Very normal that more Quebecers were present in Montreal than Maritimers....

Also how can you judge 5 different Provinces level on one weekend?

Very premature IMO.

Maybe a few Quebecers get drafted in the high first round instead of Maritimers, but expect to see some of these kids playing in the Q next season.

NBHockey

finish your checks
Jan 12, 2012
New Brunswick

I think the real reality check is that NB emerged as a serious competitor for the Quebec teams. A 3-2 loss and a 3-0 loss (Quebec Blue was outshot 27-13 in this one) hardly seems to suggest that they are on a different level. NS was blown out by Quebec in both of its games according to the score sheets.

In the NFLD - NB bronze game, the NBer's had 12 penalties to 6 of NFLD... Looks like NFLD scored 4 PP goals. I know one of the coaches of the NB team, I'll get his take in the next few days.

http://lhjmq.qc.ca/page/defi_excellence_2013

Last edited:

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
Reality check really???

There were 31 1996 born players who played in the Q in 2012-2013 and there were more than 8 coming from the Maritimes....and it will be the case again next season.

That Gold Cup is only one item on the scouts list when looking for players who could be also playing elsewhere....

Very normal that more Quebecers were present in Montreal than Maritimers....

Also how can you judge 5 different Provinces level on one weekend?

Very premature IMO.

Maybe a few Quebecers get drafted in the high first round instead of Maritimers, but expect to see some of these kids playing in the Q next season.

I just dont understand why they would say its a reality check. I dont think anyone ever said NB was going to beat the Quebec teams.

quebec Population - 7.9 million
Nb population - 751k
Ns population - 940k
Pei population - 140k
Nfld population - 525k

So - people that say that was a "reality check" for the maritmes.....do the math. Just by simple ratio, Quebec should be able to field 2 teams that handily beat NB/NS/PEI/NFLD. The fact NB kept both games close, should be a reality check for the quebec teams :)
And that's not even getting into the discussion of hockey being much more organized in quebec than the maritimes. Quebec have paid coaches from Bantam level and up. I can only speak for NB - that is not the case here....

Interesting NHL Stats -
QC - 1 Nhl player per 131k population
NB - 1 Nhl player per 187k population
NS - 1 Nhl player per 158k population
PEI- 1 Nhl player per 46k population
NFLD - 1 Nhl player per 75k population

all this to help CHSB with his point....that there is no point to be made by saying that maritimers got a wake up call. They seem to be doing just fine and are certainly keeping up with QC in the overall scheme of things.

hockey jockey

Feb 16, 2012
I think the real reality check is that NB emerged as a serious competitor for the Quebec teams. A 3-2 loss and a 3-0 loss (Quebec Blue was outshot 27-13 in this one) hardly seems to suggest that they are on a different level. NS was blown out by Quebec in both of its games according to the score sheets.

In the NFLD - NB bronze game, the NBer's had 12 penalties to 6 of NFLD... Looks like NFLD scored 4 PP goals. I know one of the coaches of the NB team, I'll get his take in the next few days.

http://lhjmq.qc.ca/page/defi_excellence_2013

I thought they would live stream the games I couldn't find them, I think for NB to lose 4-3 to the team that won Challenge Cup and 3-0 to the other Quebec team is great for team NB I am a little surprised that NS didn't fair better.It would be interesting to see how the Quebec teams would do if they were made to bring 4 teams to this event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad