PWHL - Toronto team taking shape

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
For anyone interested in the league, Burke was on McCown’s podcast earlier this week. I haven’t listened but I suspect that conversation was informative
He's been involved in women's sports for some time.

Talked about going to some games here and there, and how he was offered the job.

Interesting that when asked who he conferred with before accepting, he mentioned Dave Nonis, Treiliving as 2 of the few people he talked to....

Sounds like the CBA was agreed upon before Burke was hired, but that it is very geared towards being player friendly.

It sounds like originally 6 teams with 24 games or so each.

International hockey breaks will be implemented into the schedule as its still the best way to promote the women's game.

Funny, Burke mentioned that the women have improved dramatically recently almost to a point that the first real sign that it's women playing the game is often the ponytails.....something I've thought of at times (especially Canada vs USA games).

While the women have gotten drastically better over the last couple of decades, men have slowly improved.

There isn't expectations of women being better or more commercially successful, but the goal is for them to be taken seriously and to have a proper and professional league to showcase what has been overlooked for far too long: women are just as capable of being entertaining as men.

I think Burke, while being gruff and a bit of an ass, is a very good pick to run this thing to success. Both his passion for the women's game and his connections to the NHL will compliment the talent on the ice.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
if tennis can do it, so can other sports.

there is precedent set for successful women sport.
1. It is individual sports
2. Women Tennis really picked up with Anna Kournikova(can’t spell her name) bursted into the scene. There is a certain sex appeal to that.
3. Women Football, talking about Euro Football not the LFL, draw good crowds and is quite big in Europe, something the league should model.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
If It's on TV I will check it out so long as it doesn't conflict with Leaf games
Agreed. Wouldn’t watch this over any NHL or NFL games but we’ve all probbaly found ourselves watching Curling or poker at some point on Sportsnet and I’d for sure pick this over that

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
1. It is individual sports
2. Women Tennis really picked up with Anna Kournikova(can’t spell her name) bursted into the scene. There is a certain sex appeal to that.
3. Women Football, talking about Euro Football not the LFL, draw good crowds and is quite big in Europe, something the league should model.
You mean Women’s Tennis or Golf wouldn’t be as popular if they were covered head toe and wore cages over their heads? Lol

Nothing similar to Tennis at all.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
I don’t know exactly how this works but Isn't there a draft of three players for each team and all others are signed. Or do I have that backwards?

I wish them well but with hockey and football going on during their season I likely won’t become a fan.
3 FA signings per team, and then a snake draft to fill out the rosters.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
I'm surprised that we have no post. The PWHL is taking shape and the Toronto team is lining up some serious talent: Sarah Nurse, Blayre Turnbull and Renata Fast

Let's support this league; as, it might be the only chance of a hockey trophy in this city. :laugh:

There's a PWHL thread in the minor pro forum.

Reactions: The Iceman

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Have they said which rink the Toronto team will play out of?

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I think that these teams should be more integrated into the NHL teams to be honest.

Something more akin to soccer teams in Europe where a franchise has a top level men's team, men's youth teams, roller hockey, handball, basketball, and now women's soccer as well.

I wish the women nothing but continued success and will definitely be watching the televised games.

It'd be nice to attend too.

Nothing says equality more than grifting from established franchises. I say let them sink or swim based on their own strong and independent merit.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think because this is a Leaf forum, not a Toronto hockey forum.
Are you insecure about Women playing hockey? lol

This is great news. Looking froward to getting out to the odd game. Went to a Toronto 6ix game a few years ago and it was a great time. Money well spent.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Nothing says equality more than grifting from established franchises. I say let them sink or swim based on their own strong and independent merit.

It costs money to make money and drive mindshare. The women’s game can work but it’s unrealistic to expect it to find strong footing without significant financial backing.

The NHL can also certainly lend a hand in driving awareness. If the product when the people get there isn’t up to snuff, they won’t stay, but if the PWHL does the right things there no reason they cannot make the game and arena atmosphere compelling.

They just need help getting people through the door to give it a chance, then it’s up to them.

Calling it a grift is ridiculous

Reactions: pcruz

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I enjoy watching the women play at the Olympics, but I'm not sure I can get emotionally invested watching a domestic professional league.

I wish them the best of luck though.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It costs money to make money and drive mindshare. The women’s game can work but it’s unrealistic to expect it to find strong footing without significant financial backing.

The NHL can also certainly lend a hand in driving awareness. If the product when the people get there isn’t up to snuff, they won’t stay, but if the PWHL does the right things there no reason they cannot make the game and arena atmosphere compelling.

They just need help getting people through the door to give it a chance, then it’s up to them.

Best thing they could initially is play in smaller venues to get the best atmosphere.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The biggest challenge the PWHL has out ahead of them is outreach to and mobilization of the female populations in the inaugural cities. As much as that might sound counterintuitive it’s absolutely true. If you can’t get women first and foremost invested into the league, and historically most professional women’s leagues haven’t at large enough scale, then it will never become a profit driving business

Last edited:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

Not only this, but if anyone has ever started a small business, they would know that even the CRA expects the business to lose significantly over the first few years.

The NHL and the governors could easily help out a little bit, and help smooth out the first few years of operation, and then reap the reward when the women's game becomes not only self-sufficient, but profitable.

The short-sightedness of some people is just baffling. That, or they're too far into a mentality of women not being capable of drawing interest in terms of sports.

It's nice to know that in general, hockey fans are in favour of the women's league, and wish them success.

I completely understand that eyeballs and butts in seats will be a bit of a struggle due to all the other events that would otherwise draw our attention, but if we give them the chance, I believe the league can work and get a foothold in the markets.

Have they said which rink the Toronto team will play out of?
Almost definitely Ricoh....or Coca Cola or whatever it's called now.

Wonder if Burke is still pushing testosterone and tenacity??

Truculence and pugnacity

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
if tennis can do it, so can other sports.

there is precedent set for successful women sport.
There was a time in the last 10 to 15 years that women's tennis was better than men's tennis. But I don't think there is a parallel between the two.

This is good for the sport and in trying to draw more girls into the sport. Do I think it'll be overly successful? Doubtful. But we've seen how long the WNBA has been around and that it has expanded from 8 to 12 teams over the course of its 27-year history, so there's no reason if done and marketed properly, we don't see the same for the PWHL. Instead of it being dissolved within 3 to 5 years.

It seriously needs to be backed by the NHL though, and cross-promoting is required. Having a talented player like Sarah Nurse (and yes, one who is very attractive) integrated with the Leafs could only do the league good.

Would I go out of my way to watch a game on TV or pay to see it live? Not generally with so many other options. But with two young daughters who are impressionable (albeit not into playing hockey), if they ever asked to go, I would certainly take them up on it.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
There may be only one fifth of the amount of young girls playing hockey in Canada compared to boys, but it’s sad to think about all that passion and talent with no professional league to dream about and strive for. Essentially nothing except a select few going to the Olympics every 4 years.

These girls deserve to have that and it doesn’t have to be this way. IMO If you have quite literally any women in your life, you should be in support of this succeeding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad