PWHL - Toronto team taking shape

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I hardly have time to watch all the Leafs, but I do intend to make a point of trying to catch a few games. Planning to take my niece to one

Reactions: Roadhog

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I'm surprised that we have no post. The PWHL is taking shape and the Toronto team is lining up some serious talent: Sarah Nurse, Blayre Turnbull and Renata Fast

Let's support this league; as, it might be the only chance of a hockey trophy in this city. :laugh:

I think because this is a Leaf forum, not a Toronto hockey forum.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I'm thrilled about the new league, and will do what I can to attend some games.

I usually catch one or two AHL or OHL games a year. I'll try to add PWHL to my rotation. Live games are great, even if it isn't the show.

Reactions: Roadhog

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I don’t watch much women’s hockey at all, perhaps the odd international tournament, but even I recognize the three names. Great start for their team.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Turnbull has WHEELS. legit one of the fastest skaters I've seen up ice man or woman. Nurse is a beauty and can score, Fast is a solid two-way player. Really like that they've solidified their top line. I'll probably try and catch a game in person.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I think that these teams should be more integrated into the NHL teams to be honest.

Something more akin to soccer teams in Europe where a franchise has a top level men's team, men's youth teams, roller hockey, handball, basketball, and now women's soccer as well.

I wish the women nothing but continued success and will definitely be watching the televised games.

It'd be nice to attend too.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m curious to see what the branding of the team looks like. I hope it’s better design and colour scheme than the Toronto Six and should be aligned closer to the Toronto tradition of blue and white.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’m down for a small league with lots of good players on each team.

Gotta think MPP is signing in Montreal

Hope they sign Hilary knight

Each team only gets to sign 3 out of the first 18, so if this is our 3 it’s unlikely Knight is still around for the draft

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think that these teams should be more integrated into the NHL teams to be honest.

Something more akin to soccer teams in Europe where a franchise has a top level men's team, men's youth teams, roller hockey, handball, basketball, and now women's soccer as well.

I wish the women nothing but continued success and will definitely be watching the televised games.

It'd be nice to attend too.
This seems like a really good idea. I mean I don't really care and not sure I'll ever watch even as much as one whole game but still, seems like a really good idea.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Wish them success but can’t see watching. Too many better options.

Yeah, that's the thing. It has nothing to with it being women's sports (I enjoy women's sports), it's just there's only so much time in the day and if I'm going to spend a few hours watching sports, I'm likely going to pick the top level. It's not a knock on women's sports, I don't watch AHL either. I wish them the best but I have very little hope they will be successful unless they're subsidized by the NHL or something (like the WNBA).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, that's the thing. It has nothing to with it being women's sports (I enjoy women's sports), it's just there's only so much time in the day and if I'm going to spend a few hours watching sports, I'm likely going to pick the top level. It's not a knock on women's sports, I don't watch AHL either. I wish them the best but I have very little hope they will be successful unless they're subsidized by the NHL or something (like the WNBA).
Exactly. There's only so many hours in the day.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hope they sign Hilary knight
I don’t know exactly how this works but Isn't there a draft of three players for each team and all others are signed. Or do I have that backwards?

I wish them well but with hockey and football going on during their season I likely won’t become a fan.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
For anyone interested in the league, Burke was on McCown’s podcast earlier this week. I haven’t listened but I suspect that conversation was informative

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We need to know their caphit, is it front loaded, terms, equal pay, what if someone identified as woman who used to be in the AHL or CHL or someone who is the Kayla Simmons of Hockey like Mikayla Demaiter........or else we just won't be interested, lol.

On a serious note, I wish them luck as it is going to be a tough road.

Reactions: slozo

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
For anyone interested in the league, Burke was on McCown’s podcast earlier this week. I haven’t listened but I suspect that conversation was informative

Burke is the representative for the PWHA players association. So he’s heavily involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad