Salary Cap: Pulp Philction Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Why would the Devils do that?

They're still below the salary cap floor, so they can use his cap hit to help reach it. If they do run into cap issues later, they can designate him to LTIR then.

Or, alternately, they could move his contract to one of the capped strapped teams for something better than Scuderi.

Sort of like the Clarkson for Horton swap.
They'd rather be paying out money to a player thats actually contributing in some way.

I don't really know the Devil's situation. Do they have an internal cap? I know they splurge some in FA'y with Clowe and Camalleri etc.

I don't think it has a chance of happening though. JR and company believe Scuds can still battle it out for a bottom pairing position for some reason. Even with younger Erixon and Andersen in the fold now.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Sort of like the Clarkson for Horton swap.
They'd rather be paying out money to a player thats actually contributing in some way.

I don't really know the Devil's situation. Do they have an internal cap? I know they splurge some in FA'y with Clowe and Camalleri etc.

I don't think it has a chance of happening though. JR and company believe Scuds can still battle it out for a bottom pairing position for some reason. Even with younger Erixon and Andersen in the fold now.

Insurance would be paying Clowe's salary, though, unlike Horton who's contract wasn't insured. And the Devils are like $6M below the cap floor, so having Clowe out but not on LTIR puts them that much closer. Like what the 'Yotes are doing with Pronger's contract. Although, it's Shero running things now ... I could totally see them trading Clowe to the Hawks and winding up with Kruger somehow :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, the Horton situation was unique because Columbus couldn't get his contract insured. I'm not sure how many other contracts in the NHL are uninsured, if any. Clowe for Scuderi doesn't solve anything for anybody.

Clowe for Scuderi doesn't really solve anything for either team. We're more likely to see a trade similar to the Sydor / Boucher one. A bad contract for another bad contract but a player that might benefit from a change of scenery and fit the team a little better.

Last edited:

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, the Horton situation was unique because Columbus couldn't get his contract insured. I'm not sure how many other contracts in the NHL are uninsured, if any. Clowe for Scuderi doesn't solve anything for anybody.

I believe there is a minimum number of contracts per team that must be insured

I would imagine most of the big ticket and highly injured players are the for sures. The Horton situation was definitely strange. A guy like Adams would be money in the bank on the other hand with how little injuries he has sustained

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I believe there is a minimum number of contracts per team that must be insured

I would imagine most of the big ticket and highly injured players are the for sures. The Horton situation was definitely strange. A guy like Adams would be money in the bank on the other hand with how little injuries he has sustained

Horton already had back problems

Insurance company wouldn't insure his back since it already was injured there.

If Clowe isn't insured I'd love to do that swap with Scuderi.

Honestly ask if Erhoff would come back for 3 million 1 year

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No. No ehrhoff. That was a terrible experience and we don't need him.

Edit... I shouldn't say horrible. It's just not worth it. He's a PP qb who needs to be in a different role than the one the pens need. He is not a fit here but can help other teams out.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea pass on Erhoff.
If we managed to dump Scuds quickly here, i'd probably be looking at an Oduya on a 1 or 2 yr deal or a Volchenkov/Mezsaros to fill out the D-core or up front, a 3C on a 2yr deal that allows you to shop Sutter and let Sundqvist grow into the position and solid bottom 6'ers like a Bernier, Fleischmann or Bergenheim.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yea pass on Erhoff.
If we managed to dump Scuds quickly here, i'd probably be looking at an Oduya on a 1 or 2 yr deal or a Volchenkov/Mezsaros to fill out the D-core or up front, a 3C on a 2yr deal that allows you to shop Sutter and let Sundqvist grow into the position and solid bottom 6'ers like a Bernier, Fleischmann or Bergenheim.

WHY would you sign Mez or Volchenkov if you get rid of
Scuds? That is a tremendously bad idea.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
WHY would you sign Mez or Volchenkov if you get rid of
Scuds? That is a tremendously bad idea.

Just lookin for something cheap/short term/vet-like that could help round out the D-core.
I won't pretend to know if they are good anymore. Didn't watch them much but they'd come really cheap.
If they aren't worth it, then Oduya or full youth, i suppose.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I really hope we're not planning on keeping Sutter before the start of training camp. He's gots to go. Hopefully we learned SOMETHING from the Paul Martin situation. We're going to contend by March, so Sutter won't be traded at that point. The move needs to be made in the off-season. Take what you can get. He's not so good that we HAVE to have him around for another season, and then lose him for nothing. He's not an impact player. He's an asset. An asset that we need to turn into a future asset (for a change).

Hell, if the Devils are still below the floor send him and Kunitz there for a pick, a prospect, hopefully both. Whatever we can get.

We've made an important trade for this franchise, but now we need to make a small one or two in order to dump some of the excess. Some of the dispensable.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I really hope we're not planning on keeping Sutter before the start of training camp. He's gots to go. Hopefully we learned SOMETHING from the Paul Martin situation. We're going to contend by March, so Sutter won't be traded at that point. The move needs to be made in the off-season. Take what you can get. He's not so good that we HAVE to have him around for another season, and then lose him for nothing. He's not an impact player. He's an asset. An asset that we need to turn into a future asset (for a change).

Hell, if the Devils are still below the floor send him and Kunitz there for a pick, a prospect, hopefully both. Whatever we can get.

We've made an important trade for this franchise, but now we need to make a small one or two in order to dump some of the excess. Some of the dispensable.

We're not sellers. Regardless of what time of the year it is.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

They'll learn the hard way this season with such a soft defense and come to the realization that Kunitz or Sutter will have to be moved for a crease clearing Dman. In my view, its inevitable. Our D is way to weak (strength wise).

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
No. No ehrhoff. That was a terrible experience and we don't need him.

Edit... I shouldn't say horrible. It's just not worth it. He's a PP qb who needs to be in a different role than the one the pens need. He is not a fit here but can help other teams out.
He used to be a PP qb, but not anymore. His shot is gone. Pens might be pretty stupid, but there is a reason why Ehrhoff wasn´t seriously considered for a PP role here.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

Sutters value is apparently nothing. If you think this team is better without sutter and no replacement you're crazy.

If you're not getting at least a 2nd, you keep him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
They'll learn the hard way this season with such a soft defense and come to the realization that Kunitz or Sutter will have to be moved for a crease clearing Dman. In my view, its inevitable. Our D is way to weak (strength wise).

Mobility and puck possession are more important. Im fine with being weak around the net if we have a D group who can outskate a forecheck and keep plays alive at the opposition's blue line.

Systems denying puck carriers the middle of the ice also help mitigate that weakness as well.

Spend that money on a badass 4th line.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
After the Buccos magical weekend, I'll know I died and went somewhere else if Scuderi is moved in the next couple days. That would be an amazing couple days.

We're not sellers. Regardless of what time of the year it is.

I agree, but losing Sutter for nothing cannot happen this year. We weren't "sellers" when we traded Staal, but sometimes you need to manage assets. Especially when we spent the better part of the last couple years w/ no picks to build prospects.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
They got kessel and people are worried about the fourth line? The team with the best fourth line in the league didn't even make it out of the first round this year.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Both Kostitsyn brothers just signed with the same KHL team

It's better than good. It's a blessing. Every summer someone brings them and/or Radulov up and every summer it's just as bad an idea (if not worse) than it was the summer before. Especially now with Horny, Kessel, and Perron, we have no use for those clowns. Those are players you take a flyer on when you're desperate. And they'd have to get in line behind another long-shot, Stewart.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'd love Bernier and Lapierre on one-year deals to fill out the bottom six and push Wilson out of the lineup.

Plotnikov - Crosby - Kessel
Perron - Malkin - Hornqvist
Dupuis - Sutter - Bennett
Bernier - Lapierre - Sundqvist
Farnham

Maatta - Letang
Cole - Dumoulin
Lovejoy - Pouliot
Scuderi

Fleury
Zatkoff

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd take Bernier, but pass on Lapierre. I want Sundqvist to start out as a center. Our winger situation has greatly improved with Kessel and Plotnikov in the fold, but we need a 3C replacement soon. Plus I want a spot for a kid to make the team.

Rust/Wilson/Farnham-Sundqvist-Bernier is an exciting 4th line for me. Actually let's look at the full forward lineup and assume Kunitz is dumped and Duper is healthy:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett
Wilson-Sundqvist-Bernier
Farnham

That looks damn good to me. Still missing elite speed on every line, but it's a big size and skill upgrade over past few years. Obviously Plotnikov isn't a guarantee and Dupuis and Bennett are injury concerns. So maybe you keep Kunitz and start Wilson in WBS. Lots of options here but I like the Bernier idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad