Salary Cap: Pulp Philction Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Doesn' he have to count against the cap for a few games before being allowed to LTIR?

No. In the off season you can exceed the cap by x% (10%?) so he'd count against that, limiting off season mobility, and then go on LTIR at the beginning of the season. LTIR forces you to miss 10 games and 24 days once you go on it, if his career is over that doesn't matter. LTIR relief would only be by what they go over the cap by, so it wouldn't be exactly his cap hit.

Clowe gets paid almost 15 million over the next 3 years and if his contract is insured I'm not sure why they'd be desperate to move him, and if he's not insured the Pens wouldn't want to pay that. It's creating a 3 year off season problem for a cap ceiling team to get rid of 2 years of Scuderi.

The NHL is going to crack down on trades like that in the future because it's obviously not on the up and up.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Please get rid of Scuderi this week, he has no place on this roster, that cap space is certainly worth a pick. We certainly can't keep him in the team past this year, that's when he really puts us in a bad situation in terms of signing either Perron or another top 6 left winger and locking up maatta.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Yeah Maatta is a RFA and Perron a UFA. Need to get rid of a few Shero contracts by then.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Some of these metro lineups are pretty good. Might be the hardest division in hockey.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Yeah Maatta is a RFA and Perron a UFA. Need to get rid of a few Shero contracts by then.

I think Scuderi HAS to be gone, and then Kunitz should go but we'd be okay if he played out his last year if we don't resign Sutter or another expensive 3C.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Take a look at the defenses around the division. I'd argue we have the 2nd best next to the Rangers.

Ryan McDonagh is the only other D-man in the division who approaches Letang. I'm not too worried about it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Take a look at the defenses around the division. I'd argue we have the 2nd best next to the Rangers.

Ryan McDonagh is the only other D-man in the division who approaches Letang. I'm not too worried about it.

Is that assuming Scuderi is gone?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Is that assuming Scuderi is gone?

I'm pretending he doesn't exist. I want him gone b/c we need that money devoted elsewhere. I'm confident the team sees what we see.

I just don't think our defense will be the weak link that everyone thinks. They'll make mistakes, but if this forward group gets another addition to round out the bottom six and stays healthy, we're not going to be playing very much in our own end, and they'll be giving MAF plenty of run support.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Some of these metro lineups are pretty good. Might be the hardest division in hockey.

habs can coun't themselves very lucky to be in a much weaker one which considerably inflated their ranking. We'll probably beat their sorry ***** again next season. :yo:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Seen it mentioned elsewhere today but what about a Scuderi for Ryane Clowe swap?

Clowe is reportedly never gonna play again due to concussion issues. 3 yrs left of LTIR capspace essentially.
https://hockeyscap.com/players/ryane_clowe

Why would the Devils do that?

They're still below the salary cap floor, so they can use his cap hit to help reach it. If they do run into cap issues later, they can designate him to LTIR then.

Or, alternately, they could move his contract to one of the capped strapped teams for something better than Scuderi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad