Line Combos: Puljujarvi vs Yamamoto

Which RW do you keep around

• Total voters

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't think JP has any issues with hockey IQ, it's decent for NHL level. What he could improve in is his shooting ability (quick release under pressure) and generally stickhandling and making plays under pressure. But if he was good at all those things, you'd be looking at Mikko Rantanen instead of Jesse Puljujärvi. He's a fine player as is and generally a heavily positive influence on his line.
I think you are both semi-right and semi-wrong, I think the issue with JP is he plays the game like the player he wants to become and I don't think he's necessarily wrong in thinking he can become that player, but it'll take time to refine his shot to be deadly from the distances he likes shooting from. In the interests of playing like the player he wants to become I don't think he is properly utilizing his current skill set to its fullest potential, IMO he is most dangerous as a net front presence, but he doesn't go to those areas as frequently as he should often circling out of coverage into a shooting lane, but his likelihood of scoring from the spots he chooses isn't overly high.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I really dont understand how the Oilers are going to manage their cap next year. They look to be in dire dire straights. Honestly I dont see how the Oilers can afford either Pulj or Yama with the cap space available. Nurse and Keith at 15 millions looks insane. Kosko 4.5 mill goes directly to Nurse and we dont have any money to resign a goalie period.

I hope Keith retires next year because if he doesn't im not sure how the Oilers pay for a goalie and guys like Pulj and Yams.
Barrie’s gone.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Puljujarvi is effective at keeping the puck in the offensive zone, his, +-, corsi and fenwick are the best of the team.

Corsi/Fenwick is number of shots not zone time, and with McDavid's skill and crazy ice time, those are obviously skewed.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Corsi/Fenwick is number of shots not zone time, and with McDavid's skill and crazy ice time, those are obviously skewed.

Puljujarvi still has weaknesses or areas to develop, but he's very good at taking the play to the offensive zone. Just look at these stats:

McDavid's CF% with Pulju is 59.1%, without Pulju 48.3%.
McDavid's GF% with Pulju is 58.8%, without Pulju 45.5%

Drai's CF% with Pulju is 57.3%, without Pulju 48.0%
Drai's GF% with Pulju is 57.1%, without Pulju 54.8%

Reactions: McCombo and PulYou

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Even when Pulju is struggling with the puck, he's still by far the team's best player at gaining and keeping possession of the puck. He's all over the ice stripping pucks or forcing turnovers. The ice is always tilted the Oilers way when he's out there.

That's still a really valuable player.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Even when Pulju is struggling with the puck, he's still by far the team's best player at gaining and keeping possession of the puck. He's all over the ice stripping pucks or forcing turnovers. The ice is always tilted the Oilers way when he's out there.

That's still a really valuable player.

I agree; I feel like when he starts consistently reacting to/making fast touches in all areas within his stichandling radius, he'll generate more offence (a very basic equation, but you guys know what I mean lol).

Reactions: PulYou

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm pretty suspicious about this brief resurgence happening just around contract time. The same player disappeared from scoreboard for a month at a time. Pretty odd player and from a scoring standpoint as inconsistent as it gets. The player had a notable 5 week heatup with Drai and Nuge and then that kind of result wasn't seen again until now, two seasons later.

If its doable I'd rather have Kane and Pulju as wingers than retaining Yama. We have smallish forwards coming up with Yama attributes and better. The reality is you can't be in topsix with generational superstars and spend most of that time constantly squandering opportunity and chances.

Yama is on a show me. For most of the season he was again struggling to produce. For times there was deterioration in every aspect of his play, as well as taking an NHL pounding that has seemed to weigh on the player physically.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm pretty suspicious about this brief resurgence happening just around contract time. The same player disappeared from scoreboard for a month at a time. Pretty odd player and from a scoring standpoint as inconsistent as it gets. The player had a notable 5 week heatup with Drai and Nuge and then that kind of result wasn't seen again until now, two seasons later.

If its doable I'd rather have Kane and Pulju as wingers than retaining Yama. We have smallish forwards coming up with Yama attributes and better. The reality is you can't be in topsix with generational superstars and spend most of that time constantly squandering opportunity and chances.

Yama is on a show me. For most of the season he was again struggling to produce. For times there was deterioration in every aspect of his play, as well as taking an NHL pounding that has seemed to weigh on the player physically.
Its the same time of year that he was great his first time up with Drai. It's weird, McDavid also seems to massively heatup this time of year too. Something in the air maybe.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Whoever is willing to take less.

Our cap is atrocious next year. Koskinen comes off but we still need a #1 to fill that void unless we want to roll with Skinner and Smith.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Voted Pulju, but it would be nice to keep both. There are way worse players that should be axed before these guys. I would try to trade Kassian right now, even if we are in playoff mix. But he just isn't top9 player in good NHL team and way too expensive for 4th line. Hope that one GM is stupid enough to take him because he wants grit for playoffs. I would prefer both guys above Foegele too, he is 3rd liner and nothing more. Don't extend Archibald.

Then I would seek out of Smith and/or Keith would retire, if not try to trade them. Barrie should be finding a new home too.

Every little overpay matters, it all adds up. Not having Kassian around and if Nurse would have gotten a bit more reasonable cap-hit we would have 5-6mil more room.

Kane-97-Yama
Hyman-29-Pulju
RNH-McLeod-Ryan

Edit. And totally forgot about Holloway. If he is ready next year, that's even better. That would bump Ryan on to the 4th line with Shore.

Would be absolute elite top9. Assemble 4th line from players that cost under million per player, that top9 can eat a lot of minutes.

Nurse-X
X-Bouchard
Broberg-Ceci

X
Skinner

Reactions: yakcity1064

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I’d like to see them morphed together into one fully complete player.

I wonder if seeing Kane play way more physical than anyone on the Oilers has in 30 years will bring out more physicality in PJ. He is a monster human being and could be a destroyer out there if he used that speed and size fully to his advantage.
Puljuamamoto? Where do we perform the procedure?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad