Line Combos: Puljujarvi vs Yamamoto

Which RW do you keep around

• Total voters

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Fairly straightforward, both need new contracts, neither of them has established themselves as an everyday top six winger. We have glaring holes both on D and in net.

Assuming you can only keep one past the trade deadline, who do you hang on to and why?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’d like to see them morphed together into one fully complete player.

I wonder if seeing Kane play way more physical than anyone on the Oilers has in 30 years will bring out more physicality in PJ. He is a monster human being and could be a destroyer out there if he used that speed and size fully to his advantage.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'd do everything I could to keep JP. I really like the player and think he will get better. Also don't think Kane is here long so moving on from one of our only other good wingers seems a little short sighted to me.

Him and Yamo seem to play a similar game so for that reason I take the bigger guy and use the other in a package to fill other holes if I can't retain both.

Reactions: RattsSSV and PulYou

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You keep a player like Pulju anytime because he's a wrecking ball out there and even when not producting is good on forecheck, backcheck, hard to play against, screening goalies, creating chaos and battling for pucks.

Pump and dump with Yama. But it seems like he can't even be pumped, he keeps springing leaks and falling down.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It is JP but last game really highlighted how great having Yamamoto is. It's a cap world. If we can keep Yamamoto I'd be happy but it's really tough. I prefer not to worry about this until we have to deal with it.

It seems like an all-in year, especially with Kane arriving

We better not hold onto our futures at all costs. I'm getting that impression from Holland. Imo he overvalues 1sts

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think JP gets a 1 year/4.5 million dollar deal and Yamamoto gets a 2 year/2.5 million dollar deal.
Those are both really steep imo. I don’t see why kailer gets much more than a million at this rate. Jesse has been inconsistent but he’d really have to establish himself as a fixture in the top 6 to demand that kind of money. I think he gets a raise for sure but I’m not sure how big of one.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think JP gets a 1 year/4.5 million dollar deal and Yamamoto gets a 2 year/2.5 million dollar deal.

Those are both really steep imo. I don’t see why kailer gets much more than a million at this rate. Jesse has been inconsistent but he’d really have to establish himself as a fixture in the top 6 to demand that kind of money. I think he gets a raise for sure but I’m not sure how big of one.

I really dont understand how the Oilers are going to manage their cap next year. They look to be in dire dire straights. Honestly I dont see how the Oilers can afford either Pulj or Yama with the cap space available. Nurse and Keith at 15 millions looks insane. Kosko 4.5 mill goes directly to Nurse and we dont have any money to resign a goalie period.

I hope Keith retires next year because if he doesn't im not sure how the Oilers pay for a goalie and guys like Pulj and Yams.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I really dont understand how the Oilers are going to manage their cap next year. They look to be in dire dire straights. Honestly I dont see how the Oilers can afford either Pulj or Yama with the cap space available. Nurse and Keith at 15 millions looks insane. Kosko 4.5 mill goes directly to Nurse and we dont have any money to resign a goalie period.

I hope Keith retires next year because if he doesn't im not sure how the Oilers pay for a goalie and guys like Pulj and Yams.
It’s not that bad. Before dipping into LTIR we have 6.2 mil to re sign McLeod, Yamo and Jesse and round out the roster. I think the goalie hole needs to be filled by trading Barrie.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It’s not that bad. Before dipping into LTIR we have 6.2 mil to re sign McLeod, Yamo and Jesse and round out the roster. I think the goalie hole needs to be filled by trading Barrie.

I feel you wrote "its not that bad" and then went on to explain why it is that bad and more. Isn't it 6.2 mill to resign 9 players? One of which is a starting goalie which usually run in excess of 6.2 mill by themselves... Maybe i'm reading Cap Friendly wrong but I would say we are currently f***ed.

Edit: Trade Barrie and LTIR and we are still in rough from what I can tell. Its funny that to get out of our cap situation I think its very obvious we need to trade off guys like Keith, Smith, Barrie, Kassian etc... all recent Holland signings.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I feel you wrote "its not that bad" and then went on to explain why it is that bad and more. Isn't it 6.2 mill to resign 9 players? One of which is a starting goalie which usually run in excess of 6.2 mill by themselves... Maybe i'm reading Cap Friendly wrong but I would say we are currently f***ed.
You got Klefboms LTIR though and god only knows what will be going with smith he could very well be on there as well.

Edit: the cap may also go up slightly they are projecting 1 million most recently.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You got Klefboms LTIR though and god only knows what will be going with smith he could very well be on there as well.

Holland is going to need to be a magician to pull off cap management next year. Honestly, just to field a team similar to this years sub par team will be incredibly difficult.

The only thing that makes sense is if Keith and Smith retire and their money comes off the books completely. Plus trading some guys that I mention.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yamo is a million times better by vision and creating a play.
JP is a million times better when he uses his body efficiently.

It's a wash right now imo. JP could be soo much more but he has no incling how to create with time and space. He literally shoots or passes too fast

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

straits

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Pulju is clearly the more effective player, his frame makes him very hard to handle and control, but I keep reading these stupid either or discussions when it comes the two of them and extending them in the offseason, but I fail to see the issue, Pulju is going to get a decent sized raise, Yamo will either be getting a very small raise or no raise at all, I just don't see any reason to assume Yamo will be cost prohibitive, he should be a cost efficient 3rd line winger.

We need cost efficient players.

I also don't see Yamo as being valuable enough in trade to really patch any holes of substance, Pulju might have the value to patch a hole of substance, but without a particular deal that is enticing in front of my face to evaluate, why not just keep our homegrown big bodied winger and let him develop further to see what we truly have or trade him somewhat closer to his final form so we can get a better return on him.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad