GDT: PS Game 5: Sharks @ cup whiners 7pm Stream ESPN+

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Zadina - hopefully he can start to produce because I really like his play this preseason. If not, he would be great on a third line.

Eklund - kid belongs in the NHL. His hustle on the forecheck and on the kill is great. The pass for Bordeleau’s goal was amazing but I was impressed with him creating separation when picking up the puck off the wall and then using his left arm to protect the puck from the defensive stick after his quick turn.

Bordeleau - best game I’ve seen him play for a while. Better discipline with the puck, not as many silly plays that were never on. Still has a way to go.

Musty - for his first game at this level, he looked solid. Lots of potential there.

Lindblom/Zetterlund - meh. I’d sign and play Bailey over both of them.

Thrun/Burroughs - both good and solid.

Knyzhov - nothing to complain about his game, but probably needs to do a lot more to get into the big club.

Gawanke - I liked what I saw. Should see NHL time this season. Pretty good puck mover and he has a nice hard shot.

Emberson - did really know what to expect and I like his game. Good two way D.

Kahkonen - looked really good. Hopefully it translates to the season when he is facing NHL shooters.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Great games for Eklund and Bordeleau. Also thought Smith was great in the first period, and he could be a great 4th liner. Barabanov just looked like the best player out there most times, excited to see what we do with him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Great games for Eklund and Bordeleau. Also thought Smith was great in the first period, and he could be a great 4th liner. Barabanov just looked like the best player out there most times, excited to see what we do with him.
Was going to say all of this. I’d also add in Musty looks promising. I now fully understand why Quinn talked about the AHL with him. If Musty stays motivated dude has all the tools to be a first liner in the NHL.

Thrun and Emberson both looked good and very similar in a lot of ways. I would not be upset if that was our third pair this season.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Was going to say all of this. I’d also add in Musty looks promising. I now fully understand why Quinn talked about the AHL with him. If Musty stays motivated dude has all the tools to be a first liner in the NHL.

Thrun and Emberson both looked good and very similar in a lot of ways. I would not be upset if that was our third pair this season.
What did Quinn say about Musty and the AHL?

Isn’t it true that Musty can’t play in the AHL till his 20 year old season?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What did Quinn say about Musty and the AHL?

Isn’t it true that Musty can’t play in the AHL till his 20 year old season?
He can’t go to the AHL. It was something along the lines of we’d love it if he could but I’m sure lots of other teams would love to send their players to the AHL.

I’m really not sure what the question was that he answered so it might have been just a response to what the reporter asked.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I saw one Sharks fan sitting below me. Fist bumped a few others. Nowhere near the quantity I'm used to for RS games.

I was amused by this guy who was playing grandstand ref (raising his arm) with every hit and bump. (And smirked at those he didn't get.)

Big exodus at 2nd intermission. Major empty by 5 minutes left.

Wore my (new/design) Eklund jersey for the first time. (So he "has" to make team?) But as 6 is my favorite # do I need to get an Emberson?

Nem, it's D Jake Bischoff. (There's also a Hickey)

Lots of offensive zone possession

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That’s because Vegas has the worst prospect pool in the league and both games against them did not include their NHL roster.
Which is odd because I was told by some Vegas fans on the main board that they have more than enough talent in the pipeline to continue being major threats long after the old guys retire.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Speaking of which, I've been relatively impressed by Bailey. Could be a solid 13th F.
Bailey looks like a great athlete but still needs to work on rounding out his game. I don’t think he is anything more than an energy 13/14th forward.

He should be down in the AHL because both Zetterlund and Lindblom have shown flashes of success in top 6 NHL roles. At this point it is more important for the Sharks to see if they can find that “diamond in the rough” instead of plugging in a low ceiling grinder.

Now if the Sharks are competing and had legit top 6/9 players in those lines then Bailey in a 4th line role would be exactly what they need.

Bailey just doesn’t have the skill to succeed in anything other than a 4th line role.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Bailey looks like a great athlete but still needs to work on rounding out his game. I don’t think he is anything more than an energy 13/14th forward.

He should be down in the AHL because both Zetterlund and Lindblom have shown flashes of success in top 6 NHL roles. At this point it is more important for the Sharks to see if they can find that “diamond in the rough” instead of plugging in a low ceiling grinder.

Now if the Sharks are competing and had legit top 6/9 players in those lines then Bailey in a 4th line role would be exactly what they need.

Bailey just doesn’t have the skill to succeed in anything other than a 4th line role.
I wouldn’t have espoused this much but I would’ve said that Bailey is 28 and not long for the NHL.
Good point on Zets and Lindblom. They have shown they belong.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I wouldn’t have espoused this much but I would’ve said that Bailey is 28 and not long for the NHL.
Good point on Zets and Lindblom. They have shown they belong.

Bailey is basically exactly what the Cuda forward group needs. A guy with size and speed who goes to the dirty areas, and isn't there to drop the gloves. He's what I wish Coe was.

He's had many chances at the NHL and hasn't produced anything there. If we can just sign him on an AHL deal, that'd be ideal.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Bailey is basically exactly what the Cuda forward group needs. A guy with size and speed who goes to the dirty areas, and isn't there to drop the gloves. He's what I wish Coe was.

He's had many chances at the NHL and hasn't produced anything there. If we can just sign him on an AHL deal, that'd be ideal.
Agreed. Maybe Coe can learn something?? Wilder things have happened.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Which is odd because I was told by some Vegas fans on the main board that they have more than enough talent in the pipeline to continue being major threats long after the old guys retire.
Undrafted Whitecloud signing with VGK was a coup. (Signed in 2018) And Thompson in 2020.

And they may have some fine prospects in the pipeline.

BUT THEY DO NOT HAVE THE DEPTH of prospects that most other organizations have (Seattle notwithstanding). Seven drafts and only Hague from '17 is NHL regular. 2 others still in org from '17.

2 draftees from '18. 7 from '19. 5 each from '20 and '21. 6 from '22 and 4 from '23.

And so few undrafted free agent signings compared to say Sharks.
Sedoff, Pinard, Hughes '23. Swerlikoff, Fleming '22.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Vegas has proven they don't need prospects. They'll just sign or trade for their next generation of stars once Stone and Pietrangelo age out.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Vegas has proven they don't need prospects. They'll just sign or trade for their next generation of stars once Stone and Pietrangelo age out.
Won't work because they'll never get guys that are young or still in their prime like they did Stone and Eichel simply because they don't have the draft capital nor the upper-tier prospects to dangle. Jack is pretty much the ONLY top 6 forward (depending on how you feel about Barbashev) they have under the age of 30.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Won't work because they'll never get guys that are young or still in their prime like they did Stone and Eichel simply because they don't have the draft capital nor the upper-tier prospects to dangle. Jack is pretty much the ONLY top 6 forward (depending on how you feel about Barbashev) they have under the age of 30.
We would have said the same thing before they traded for Stone and Eichel but they didn't end up needing to trade upper tier picks or prospects for either of them. We're probably a year and a half away from Vegas trading two 1sts, Edstrom and Cormier for Kaprizov.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
We would have said the same thing before they traded for Stone and Eichel but they didn't end up needing to trade upper tier picks or prospects for either of them. We're probably a year and a half away from Vegas trading two 1sts, Edstrom and Cormier for Kaprizov.
If they wanna do that then go for it. He'll be nearing 30 and they won't have March or Stephenson or Stone or probably Petro anymore.

In fact, I encourage them to do it.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
If they wanna do that then go for it. He'll be nearing 30 and they won't have March or Stephenson or Stone or probably Petro anymore.

In fact, I encourage them to do it.
I thought the same thing with Eichel and his $10M salary. Their professional scouts are annoyingly good.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I think Vegas has the same thing as Boston, players just know how to play for their team banner/logo/franchise etc. I think it's mix of luck, talent and franchise pride.
Karlsson and Stephenson are good examples of the team making them top 6 talent, with no one else believing in them. Vegas has some kind of magic & chemistry in their locker room, that gets them going one step higher. And the prove is in that Vegas had had 3 different head coaches and they've only missed the playoffs once.
Let's say Sharks had Vegas 16-17 team, I believe they would've not made any impact.

I wish Sharks can become that with MG leading the way.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I thought the same thing with Eichel and his $10M salary. Their professional scouts are annoyingly good.
Now… but they’re all gonna be 3-4 years older in this hypothetical and they don’t have a Krebs or a Tuch to spare let alone both. I don’t think Brisson has a ton of value as of now.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Now… but they’re all gonna be 3-4 years older in this hypothetical and they don’t have a Krebs or a Tuch to spare let alone both. I don’t think Brisson has a ton of value as of now.
Not that I want in on this discussion but Brisson has looked really bad in each game I’ve watched him play in. He can’t seem to do much of anything.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not that I want in on this discussion but Brisson has looked really bad in each game I’ve watched him play in. He can’t seem to do much of anything.
He’s young so it’s too early to write him off. But, if he’s supposed to be the focal point of their future then they’re in a lot more trouble than I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad