GDT: PS Game 4: Nashville @ Columbus | 9/29 7PM EST

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm up near cleveland and it's blacked out... its a shame I just want to get excited for the season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Gotta love the back to back "young" and "old" PP units. Dubois-Jenner-Atkinson Murray-Werenski and Hartnell-Dubi-Foligno JJ-Savard.

...too bad neither scored. :(

CBJ103

Mar 15, 2011
Powell, OH
My big question from tonight's game: Is Mike Todd gone for good or were they just using a preseason game to let Chuck get some work in before he is sent back to the minors?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Is anyone else worried about needing OT to beat the Milwaukee Admirals (Nashville AHL affiliate)?

I only saw the third and OT, but the chances looked one-sided in the Jackets favor, so I was assuming it was just Saros keeping it close.

In any case, I've learned not to judge the team based on pre-season action. I mostly just look at the new players, and see how the returning players are skating (which reminds me, Murray is markedly quicker and stronger).

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Is anyone else worried about needing OT to beat the Milwaukee Admirals (Nashville AHL affiliate)?

That is sort of funny.

I remember a lot of pre-seasons where we sent virtually our entire AHL roster to a road game against an NHL heavy line-up.............and won! In the pre-season it does happen.

I thought the Preds players played with a lot of energy last night, and I also thought, other then Savard, JJ, and Cam, our veterans didn't push all that hard. Quite frankly, I have watched Jenner now in both pre-season home games, and he has been downright brutal. But these vets know the drill, and will kick it up closer to the season opener.

The story last night was the play of the young guys. The guys fighting for roster spots. I thought Zach, Josh, and PLD played very well. Korpi looked way more comfortable in net then it sounded like he did in St. Louis.

Torts has been around long enough to not worry about the vets that have roster spots locked up. His entire focus right now is on how the youth responds. Certainly, Werenski didn't play against a lot of NHL players last night, but he played against grown men that in some cases are a step away from the NHL, and are fighting hard for a roster spot. In a way, to me, that is better then playing against a lot of veteran NHL players merely going through the motions, which is exactly what we saw last season from the Preds when they played here in that pre-season game.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Fun game to watch....CBJ was getting outplayed when I started watching in the 2nd period, but they turned it up in the 3rd.
Have to give kudos to the Preds goalie, he was making some nice saves to stymie them, but their persistence paid off.

Dubinsky had lots of jump.

Yes, Werenski is the real deal. With hi, Murray, Jones and Savard, CBJ has a great young back end. Savard threw a great hip check along the boards.

For those that need help finding a place to watch the games, PM me.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Werenski is legit. I'm still not sure where he should start the season. Is he good enough to crack our top 6 right now? Yeah I'm pretty sure of that, but would he benefit more from 20-40 games in Cleveland, top pairing and running their PP?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Werenski is legit. I'm still not sure where he should start the season. Is he good enough to crack our top 6 right now? Yeah I'm pretty sure of that, but would he benefit more from 20-40 games in Cleveland, top pairing and running their PP?

I'd feel comfortable with Werenski getting 14 or so minutes at evens, but he's got to get some PP time, and that's where things are a bit uncertain. Who does he take time from? A bit from Murray and a bit from JJ?

PLD played very well.

I thought he looked good too. He's got all the tools, that's for sure. I can see him either being a solid defensive center right away. Or he could be an immediate contributor at offense if he is tasked with that, but it's unlikely he can do both. It's just too much for an 18 year old to pick up right away. Let's see if he can prove me wrong. :)

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I'd feel comfortable with Werenski getting 14 or so minutes at evens, but he's got to get some PP time, and that's where things are a bit uncertain. Who does he take time from? A bit from Murray and a bit from JJ?

I thought he looked good too. He's got all the tools, that's for sure. I can see him either being a solid defensive center right away. Or he could be an immediate contributor at offense if he is tasked with that, but it's unlikely he can do both. It's just too much for an 18 year old to pick up right away. Let's see if he can prove me wrong. :)

I just think it would be such a waste to send him back to Junior's. I just don't think that will do him any good.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
I saw a lot of RyJo in him. He has the goods. I can't see how playing against 18yos would help him. Even if Torts doesn't think he's ready for full time, playing some and practicing against men is what I say he needs. After last night I say plant him between Boone and Cam and let him go. This also allows a pedal to the metal line of Nick, Dubie and Hartsy.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
That is sort of funny.

I remember a lot of pre-seasons where we sent virtually our entire AHL roster to a road game against an NHL heavy line-up.............and won! In the pre-season it does happen.

In fact, it happened last season in Buffalo. The future Monsters took care of business against a lineup of some of their veterans. Of course, veterans know when to expend their energy on the games that count.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad