Prospects Who Have Drastically Improved From Last Season (So Far)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Truth be told, I mainly made this thread because I couldn’t find Logan Stanley’s thread to mention his improvement in.

Winnipeg has to be happy with how much better he looks than last year. He’s gotten a ton of hate on here, and for good reason. This year, though, it appears that he has worked on all of his weaknesses. He’s up to 8 points (3 goals) in 6 games played and from my limited viewings has drastically improved his foot speed, decision making, and puck skills. Make no mistake, he’ll never be an offensive weapon, but he may validate his draft position. Last year, his performance led to many saying that he’d never make it to the big leagues. Now, he looks set to be at least a highly defensively capable third-pairing defender who won’t handicap his team in terms of transition.

What other prospects have been surprising early on this year, in a positive way?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Formenton went from playing on the 4th line of an OHL team to the 4th line of an NHL team in 5 months.

I don't think he's ready to play full-time just yet, but it's promising to see how well his game has translated.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Formenton went from playing on the 4th line of an OHL team to the 4th line of an NHL team in 5 months.

I don't think he's ready to play full-time just yet, but it's promising to see how well his game has translated.
This guy should get sent back ASAP.

He's not good enough to be up right now and this won't be good for his development.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
13ezV8Y.png

/thread

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Well he's never gonna be a household name but Arnaud Durandeau took a lot of heat in his thread last year. This year he stayed in the Islanders camp longer than I had thought he would and now back with Halifax has been a really good complimentary player along side of Filip Zadina. He's faster and playing a smarter game plus looks to be very irritating to play against. I think the coaching change has been a positive as well. Hope he keeps it up.

Reactions: Konk and 99664987

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Dennis Cholowski 7 points in 5 games for Prince George. Only had 12 all last season at St. Cloud State

Reactions: gifted88

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Virtanen for Vancouver.

While he hasn't necessarily "drastically" improved, we went from wanting him on the first bus out of town to agreeing to let him stay in a motel 6 for a few months.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Jesper Bratt is a big surprise thus far this year, don't think he'll keep it up but you never know.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
One year ago, Samuel Blais was just a 6th rounder that nobody believed in. Now, he's a top AHL player that almost every Blues fan will say deserves to be in the Blues' top-9. The guy just keeps steadily improving. While he isn't the most skilled guy, his hockey IQ is arguably the highest in the prospect pool, and maybe even on the team itself.

Honestly, he deserves an NHL spot more than Thompson from what I saw of preseason.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1