Prospects Who Have Drastically Improved From Last Season (So Far)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
For the Oilers probably Kirill Maksimov. Spent 1.5 years with Saginaw scoring 37 points in 71 games (12 goals). Got moved to Niagra and has scored 18 goals, 29 points in 34 games. Part of that is 7 points (3 goals) in 5 games this year and putting up some amazing shot totals (3rd in the league for shots/game). This is after a good rookie camp as well

Was drafted as a ? in the 5th round last year with scouts not knowing if he was as bad as his Saginaw play, or as good as his brief time in Niagara. Hes also one of the youngest players in the draft so if he continues to have a big year, he could definitely be one of the most improved prospects

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Appreciate your concern but it's very undue. Formenton is practicing with and learning from the best in the world - playing 58 OHL games instead of 64 isn't going to hurt him. Nino played a whole season on one of the worst lines ever and he turned out fine, so if a week or two at the NHL level is going to ruin Formenton he probably isn't built for professional hockey.
I think you took my comment as saying he'll never be ready.

As someone who watches a ton of London Knights games, I am simply stating that he is not ready for NHL action at this moment in time.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That was just Avs fans who didn't want him in a Duchene deal.

Well I vividly remember Columbus fans wanting to hold on to Anderson, Abramov, Bjorkstrand, Dubois and Carlsson while being perfectly willing to throw in Milano into every deal...

So yeah..

Not really true...

Milano is a good shout. Bratt is probably the obvious answer.

From the Avs it looks like Bigras might be a candidate but still way too soon to tell with him...

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Count me as eating crow on milano . never thought he would translate from watching him live in Jr's
I will say, he's really developed his game off the puck. Always had the skillset, the question was whether he had the will to adapt. Caught him in the AHL last season and thought then that he already looked like a different player. Potential for good chemistry with other young players like Bjorkstrand portends well for him.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Would Samuel Girard count? I didn't expect him to make the team this year because Nashville usually doesn't rush defenders into the league. Ryan Ellis, a 1st round pick, took like 5 years before he got a full-time roster spot. I'm really hoping Girard can become a stud, and not get traded...

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Clague with 14 points in 6 games. I hope he gets over a ppg this year. I always viewed him as a steal for us and think he can be a 40-50 point dman in the league someday

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Martin Frk was waived twice last year. In 2 games he has 2 goals and 3 points for Detroit.

I've been watching Frk clips since he was a junior-- I knew he would pull it together. Almost vomitted each time the flames passed on the opportunity to claim him, would have made a great trigger man next to johnny hockey

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Matthew Phillips has 18 points in 7 games in the WHL. If he keeps this up and grows a bit he could very well be Calgary's next Gaudreau. Unlike Gaudreau though, Phillips gets engaged more on the boards.
Unlike gaudreau, phillips also lacks that special something at the next level. Looked completely lost in training camp and barely kept up at youngstars tournament even. He has a LONG way to go before even entering the same realm as Gaudreau. Yammamoto clearly outplayed him and also doesn't look great in the NHL so far this year.

There's more of a chance that Kylington becomes Erik Karlsson over night than there is that Phillips becomes Gaudreau. Extremely faint.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Those players were already good, they're just playing better and hitting their potential. Sosunov had 0 points in 40 Russian junior games last year and already has 4 goals in the supposed much harder CHL. That's a drastic improvement, especially for a giant defenseman.
Yeah read my first post here I mentioned Oleg

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Vince Dunn hasn't looked out of place in the NHL for the blues, great skating and puck handling ability, he's starting to polish up his game more and more. Tage Thompson has looked a little out of place at times but the you can see the potential he has at times.

Also, clayton keller playing 20 mins a night and putting up points for the 'yotes

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Maxime Comtois having a nice start after a disapointing draft year and camp this year. 9 goals/11 points +10 in 7 games

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah, weren’t people on the edge of writing him off as an AHL scrub earlier this year?

Yup. I remember I proposed Murray + Milano + 1st in a Duchene thread a month or two ago and was pretty unanimously laughed off by Avs fans saying they have zero interested in Milano

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Yup. I remember I proposed Murray + Milano + 1st in a Duchene thread a month or two ago and was pretty unanimously laughed off by Avs fans saying they have zero interested in Milano
Man, if the Avs got offered this deal today, they’d be overjoyed...although Sakic would probably decline it and continue “considering his options” as he waits for somebody to offer him a young franchise blueliner. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad