GDT: (Prospects) Ottawa Senators vs. Montreal Canadians Game 1 @ 4:05 pm

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Actually, I take back my statement that there wer no disappointments.... having to listen to Dean and Gord call the game was truly disappointing. Zero insight or analysis, just a ton of annoying jokes.

Dean joked about it after the game when he said the aim for a C+ or B- quality broadcast.

I mean, it's fine to joke about it...but not when your work is actually at that level. He just sounded like an ass.

I'm still outrageously nostalgic when it comes to Dean and Gord, but Dean especially has really mailed it in, if you ask me. Once his TV gig was gone, it feels like he's just given up. Just running out the few years remaining on his TSN1200 deal and that's it.

Reactions: bert and Sweatred

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I have only seen one viewing of the game but I thought a lot of players had good showings.

All the 2021 draft picks showed good potential . Zack Ostapchuk looked the best of all of them. Latimer looks decent as well. Roger and Romeo are good project picks and have a lot more mobility and skill than I was expecting.

Pinto played a solid defensive game and looked composed out there. The Crookshank-Greig-Sokolov line showed some solid nastiness to there game and were solid on the forecheck. Kastelic and Reinhardt had some good moments and are embracing their physicality more. Wedman was the most noticeable camp invite and might earn himself an invite to main camp if not Belleville's camp.

I expected more out of Lassi Thomson and felt he struggled. I think Roby Jarventie and Philippe Daoust are a long way away from getting any NHL time. Jarventie was pretty quiet for the majority of the game so while he has some speed and skill he will need to adapt to the North American game. Daoust needs to go back to the QMJHL and focus on developing more of a pro style game. He has some flashes of skill but he was a giveaway machine and took way too many unnecessary risks. He needs to learn to pick his spots and to not rely so heavily on high risk low probability plays. He got demoted as the game went on and I am not sure he gets an invite to main camp. Hopefully this camp and these games help him learn the things he needs to work on.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Was at the game.

As pointed out, game was definitely sloppy but had its high points.

Guys that stood out that were unsurprising:
-Pinto
-JBD
-Soogard
-Greig

Surprises:
-Thomson
-Daoust
-Kastelic

I thought Thomson played a good game positionally, nothing fancy but his passes are super crisp, and his shot is NHL quality, even if I didn’t get to see a clap-bomb.

I didn't like Pinto game yesterday, somes big TO that you don't expect from a "vet" prospect, i expected Sokolov (from what we heared during camp) and him to be above the crowd and that was far from the case.
On D Romeo was brutal at the beginning, too much to ask for a late round rookie, JBD was ok et Guenette really good.

Among the F Zack O was a pleasant surprise. Very noticeable.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Stood out in a good way to me yesterday:

Crookshank: was a wrecking ball every time he hit the ice. Very punchable face. Going to draw a lot of penalties
Kastelic: great energy. Similar to Angus in that he was trying to make something happen physically each time he was out there.
Wedman: know nothing about him but seems to have good senses. In the right spot at the right time a few times yesterday.
Daoust: can tell he has tons of skill. Took a huge hit and came back after a lot thought he'd be gone so has some toughness to him too.
Ostapchuk: Got great speed flying down the wing. Can tell he's still raw. Looking forward to seeing him put the pieces together.
Sogaard: Big. Good positioning. Solid.

Had their moments:

Guenette: can tell he's a thinker dman kinda similar to a Lajoie
Latimer: got some skill and jam. almost lost his face in a scrum in the Habs net
Sokolov: skating looks much improved. based off the hype i expected to see more skill but looked to be an off game
Roger: big, good skater. Raw.
Merilainen: compared to Sogaard he looked tiny but thats probably just cuz Mads is so massive lol. Leevi showed his athleticism with a highlight reel save late in the game
Pinto: showed flashed of why he's going to be a great NHLer. Looked rusty and had a horrible giveaway leading to a Norlinder goal against
Jarventie: pretty quiet overall but had a couple nice shifts showing his skillset

Disappointing games:

Greig: I made a point to look for him and he was average at best to below average. Didnt look engaged at all. Hopefully just an off night
Thomson: had some good moments but the hockey IQ still a big ??? to me. Too many times i wondered who made a bonehead play and saw it was 60.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I feel bad for Sokolov cause you already see people with unreal expectations for him cause of the organization being unable to add anyone to the roster so they hype him up big time when he clearly needs more time

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I feel bad for Sokolov cause you already see people with unreal expectations for him cause of the organization being unable to add anyone to the roster so they hype him up big time when he clearly needs more time

Its a double edged sword for sure. If they put out Sokolov content, its guaranteed to do numbers in retweets or favs or likes, whatever. Have to be a marketing dumbass to not see the fans love the kid, but are they doing him a favour with this hype like you say. Im not so sure about that.

its giving me Daugavins vibes tbh lol. More skilled to be fair, but thats what the Sokolov train got me thinkin of.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Its a double edged sword for sure. If they put out Sokolov content, its guaranteed to do numbers in retweets or favs or likes, whatever. Have to be a marketing dumbass to not see the fans love the kid, but are they doing him a favour with this hype like you say. Im not so sure about that.

its giving me Daugavins vibes tbh lol. More skilled to be fair, but thats what the Sokolov train got me thinkin of.

you’re absolutely right for the marketing aspect of things. Very likeable kid. That being said, reading threads and just the way they speak about him feels like everyone expects him to play in Dadonov’s spot. I understand Dadonov didnt play really well but its still some big shoes to fill and this organization just didnt add anything of value this summer tbh.

just my opinion

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just watched the replay of the game; as many o have mentioned, Ostapchuk, Guenette and Roger were standouts.
I especially was impressed with Roger, very calm with the puck and has very good positioning in the defensive zone. Has good offensive instincts to boot.

After spending a couple of weeks in southern, Ontario I was able to reconnect with some friends who know & have watched Roger & Romeo for a few yrs. I also liked what I saw in Roger, he is quite mobile for a big man & plays with some poise & grit. Romeo had a couple of tough moments but played well on the PK, blocked some shots & for a very young guy had a decent debut. He is suppose to have a good hard shot although I can't say I noticed it.

Guennette could be a dark horse, he skates well, finds teammates in shooting lanes, plays a more cerebral game & has some good offensive skills, needs a little work in the defensive zone. Ostapchuk seems to have the speed & skill of a top six player, but just needs to be a bit more organized in his shot selections & vision to find teammates, not sure how good a playmaker he is. Greig looked much bigger to me but was rather quiet & Kastelic played exactly like he should play if he wants to win a 4th line centre spot with grit & physicality. Crookshank played exactly as advertised, but it would have been nice to see more offensive skill from him in the offensive zone. Sokolov was okay, but he clearly needs a setup man & playmaker on his line like L. Brown for him to excel at the next level. The biggest disappointment IMO was Thomson who doesn't seem to know what his role should be or what kind of game he needs to play to advance. He was okay, but nothing special in any area or facet of the game.

I thought JBD played very well, very steady, made a few good passes controlled the tempo at times & got the puck out of trouble a few times. Sogaard had an impressive outing, but it was Merilainen with the save of the night. I thought they controlled the game most of the night & when the Habs tied the game they came right back & played even harder for the go ahead goal. Remember these are all very young guys, some haven't even played junior yet & were still able to hold their own in the first game some have played in over a year. Monday should be even more interesting without Pinto or JBD & I expect more from a few guys who are pushing for spots.

Honestly I didn’t think any of our players played well.

The object of hockey games is to win the game & they did that which is better than losing & we would have to read through pages of negative posts. Let's not forget that these are all very young guys, most of them still on junior programs who haven't played in over a year & still have yrs of development time left. It was a bit rusty, but got better as the game unfolded, I expect the next game to be a bit better & faster, there may only be one player from this tournament who has a shot at making Ottawa this yr & I would put my money on JBD.

Reactions: Leaves34

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Everyone needs to pump the breaks for sure.

Having said that - he can still blow the socks of us all in training camp and preseason - and (possibly) even steal a spot. We still know almost as little about his growth this summer as we did before the weekend....

The AHL is where most of us believe he should be, and will be to start. And being excited for him doesnt mean that he needs to dominate like hes a top 5 pick or something... Hes mega-raw, huge, and toolsy - this is gonna be a marathon and not a sprint imo (his development that is).

Dont be Shawn Simpson people... anyone surprised that he already put out a typical-depressing themed tweet about how Sokolov and his skating is still so far away and the hype letdown blah blah blah. Like ok Simmer - its one game, and if you were expecting Etic Lindros to show up out there on Saturday (or at camp for that matter) - then thats your our failing then... How about we keep positive?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Everyone needs to pump the breaks for sure.

Having said that - he can still blow the socks of us all in training camp and preseason - and (possibly) even steal a spot. We still know almost as little about his growth this summer as we did before the weekend....

The AHL is where most of us believe he should be, and will be to start. And being excited for him doesnt mean that he needs to dominate like hes a top 5 pick or something... Hes mega-raw, huge, and toolsy - this is gonna be a marathon and not a sprint imo (his development that is).

Dont be Shawn Simpson people... anyone surprised that he already put out a typical-depressing themed tweet about how Sokolov and his skating is still so far away and the hype letdown blah blah blah. Like ok Simmer - its one game, and if you were expecting Etic Lindros to show up out there on Saturday (or at camp for that matter) - then thats your our failing then... How about we keep positive?
Simpson basically said exactly what you said in your first sentence. And what you said at the start of your third paragraph there. Was his tweet super depressing? I didn’t get that.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I didn't have an opportunity to watch the game but I have skimmed over this thread. Lots talking about Dean and Gord. Then I watch these 3 clips and 2 of them they are talking about nothing that has to do with the game while the play going on lol.

Even worse is that they were simulcast on radio. Why would someone turning on their radio to listen to the game want to hear about poultices or what Dean is trading his wife's apple crisp for instead of what is happening on the ice?

Assen na yo!

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Even worse is that they were simulcast on radio. Why would someone turning on their radio to listen to the game want to hear about poultices or what Dean is trading his wife's apple crisp for instead of what is happening on the ice?

Assen na yo!
When you watch the video and are listening to their audio -- eg, the youtube stream on Saturday -- you really notice how little of the play they are actually describing. It's really astounding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad