GDT: (Prospects) Ottawa Senators vs. Montreal Canadians Game 1 @ 4:05 pm

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Simpson basically said exactly what you said in your first sentence. And what you said at the start of your third paragraph there. Was his tweet super depressing? I didn’t get that.

Simpson is making an opinion on Sokolov "hes not the player I expected" after one meaningless game. And proceeded to say that his skating was still super far away.

I'm not asking him to praise a player that he didnt think played very well.

But its ridiculous to say that what he saw of him on Saturday night is the same player that we can expect in training camp.... Pinto didnt look good either FWIW.

Reactions: Emrasie

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Lol @ some people losing their minds over a meaningless, disjointed game featuring rookies. Both Pinto and Sokolov proved last year what they can do at pro levels, in Pinto's case it was limited but good showing at the NHL level. Main camp will determine if they (or someone else or none of the rookies) will make it in. Good to see the others succeed, but none of them are better prospects or more NHL ready.

I would also be hesitant to anoint anyone a spot based on dev/rookie camp. One or two of Pinto, Sokolov, Logan Brown, Crookshank, and Parker Kelly are competing with PTO Tyler Ennis for a roster spot at main camp. Perhaps Kastelic is putting himself up there too with a good start to his camp.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Simpson is making an opinion on Sokolov "hes not the player I expected" after one meaningless game. And proceeded to say that his skating was still super far away.

I'm not asking him to praise a player that he didnt think played very well.

But its ridiculous to say that what he saw of him on Saturday night is the same player that we can expect in training camp.... Pinto didnt look good either FWIW.
Skating doesn’t change much week to week

Reactions: Cosmix

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Skating doesn’t change much week to week

Maybe not in December :laugh:

Were talking about the first game of the rookie tournament though. Training camp hasnt even started yet FFS....Im going to assume that Sokolov isnt in mid-season form yet, would that be fair? Lol.

And the player I saw seemed to be an improved skater from last season, and not a guy with a glaring weakness in that area. Better than someone like Matthew Tkachuks skating at first glance, and further ahead of Stone at the same age (skating).

KEY WORDS = FIRST GLANCE.

So yes, people like Simmer need to pump the brakes on making definitive opinions on where Sokolovs game is at until further notice. Both positive and negative takes....

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I didn't have an opportunity to watch the game but I have skimmed over this thread. Lots talking about Dean and Gord. Then I watch these 3 clips and 2 of them they are talking about nothing that has to do with the game while the play going on lol.
Yeah their commentary was pretty bad.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Comon Sokolov is a bust. He can't beat out Tyler Ennis out of a roster spot

Same goes for any other bust! prospect!

Rebuild the rebuild! :sarcasm:

(have to put these emojis in case)

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Lol @ some people losing their minds over a meaningless, disjointed game featuring rookies. Both Pinto and Sokolov proved last year what they can do at pro levels, in Pinto's case it was limited but good showing at the NHL level. Main camp will determine if they (or someone else or none of the rookies) will make it in. Good to see the others succeed, but none of them are better prospects or more NHL ready.

I would also be hesitant to anoint anyone a spot based on dev/rookie camp. One or two of Pinto, Sokolov, Logan Brown, Crookshank, and Parker Kelly are competing with PTO Tyler Ennis for a roster spot at main camp. Perhaps Kastelic is putting himself up there too with a good start to his camp.

I see no one 'losing their minds'. I see people giving opinions on the first hockey game they've watched since last season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
After spending a couple of weeks in southern, Ontario I was able to reconnect with some friends who know & have watched Roger & Romeo for a few yrs. I also liked what I saw in Roger, he is quite mobile for a big man & plays with some poise & grit. Romeo had a couple of tough moments but played well on the PK, blocked some shots & for a very young guy had a decent debut. He is suppose to have a good hard shot although I can't say I noticed it.

Guennette could be a dark horse, he skates well, finds teammates in shooting lanes, plays a more cerebral game & has some good offensive skills, needs a little work in the defensive zone. Ostapchuk seems to have the speed & skill of a top six player, but just needs to be a bit more organized in his shot selections & vision to find teammates, not sure how good a playmaker he is. Greig looked much bigger to me but was rather quiet & Kastelic played exactly like he should play if he wants to win a 4th line centre spot with grit & physicality. Crookshank played exactly as advertised, but it would have been nice to see more offensive skill from him in the offensive zone. Sokolov was okay, but he clearly needs a setup man & playmaker on his line like L. Brown for him to excel at the next level. The biggest disappointment IMO was Thomson who doesn't seem to know what his role should be or what kind of game he needs to play to advance. He was okay, but nothing special in any area or facet of the game.

I thought JBD played very well, very steady, made a few good passes controlled the tempo at times & got the puck out of trouble a few times. Sogaard had an impressive outing, but it was Merilainen with the save of the night. I thought they controlled the game most of the night & when the Habs tied the game they came right back & played even harder for the go ahead goal. Remember these are all very young guys, some haven't even played junior yet & were still able to hold their own in the first game some have played in over a year. Monday should be even more interesting without Pinto or JBD & I expect more from a few guys who are pushing for spots.

The object of hockey games is to win the game & they did that which is better than losing & we would have to read through pages of negative posts. Let's not forget that these are all very young guys, most of them still on junior programs who haven't played in over a year & still have yrs of development time left. It was a bit rusty, but got better as the game unfolded, I expect the next game to be a bit better & faster, there may only be one player from this tournament who has a shot at making Ottawa this yr & I would put my money on JBD.

Appreciate your post; however, I think JBD has been ear-marked for Belleville with the off-season additions of MDZ and NH. I suspect Brannstrom might also be in Belleville.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Everyone needs to pump the breaks for sure.

Having said that - he can still blow the socks of us all in training camp and preseason - and (possibly) even steal a spot. We still know almost as little about his growth this summer as we did before the weekend....

The AHL is where most of us believe he should be, and will be to start. And being excited for him doesnt mean that he needs to dominate like hes a top 5 pick or something... Hes mega-raw, huge, and toolsy - this is gonna be a marathon and not a sprint imo (his development that is).

Dont be Shawn Simpson people... anyone surprised that he already put out a typical-depressing themed tweet about how Sokolov and his skating is still so far away and the hype letdown blah blah blah. Like ok Simmer - its one game, and if you were expecting Etic Lindros to show up out there on Saturday (or at camp for that matter) - then thats your our failing then... How about we keep positive?

Sokolov, like L. Brown before him, needs to play all games as an audition for a NHL level role. If he does not come into camp prepared to do that, then he will be sent to Belleville until he learns how to be a pro. He must be in condition and ready to go at the start.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Sokolov, like L. Brown before him, needs to play all games as an audition for a NHL level role. If he does not come into camp prepared to do that, then he will be sent to Belleville until he learns how to be a pro. He must be in condition and ready to go at the start.
While this isn't wrong I think it is extremely clear that Sokolov has been solely focused on his conditioning and transforming his body to make it easier to get around the ice - so that should be in doubt at all.

Is it enough to win a spot? Who knows at this point but I won't be feeling like Soks left gas in the tank if he doesn't make it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Appreciate your post; however, I think JBD has been ear-marked for Belleville with the off-season additions of MDZ and NH. I suspect Brannstrom might also be in Belleville.
Couldn't agree more, I think the defence is set with the NHLers they brought in too.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah their commentary was pretty bad.
It was a Rookie tournament that they clearly could care less about that most people wouldn't even be listening to except the die hard fans on here. People are taking things way too seriously on here for an exhibition game between prospects of two teams that most have never even heard of & who may never make the NHL. I did think Dean, who I'm not a big fan of, had a couple of funny lines though, but mostly he's a blowhard who does this for a living.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
It was a Rookie tournament that they clearly could care less about that most people wouldn't even be listening to except the die hard fans on here. People are taking things way too seriously on here for an exhibition game between prospects of two teams that most have never even heard of & who may never make the NHL. I did think Dean, who I'm not a big fan of, had a couple of funny lines though, but mostly he's a blowhard who does this for a living.

The problem is they call the game on RADIO but barely ever describe whats going on. They're horrible at radio PxP. If it was on TV itd be different but people rely on them to paint them a picture of whats going on.

The audio on the weekend was a radio broadcast which happened to have a YouTube stream. Imagine trying to listen to that with no visual.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The problem is they call the game on RADIO but barely ever describe whats going on. They're horrible at radio PxP. If it was on TV itd be different but people rely on them to paint them a picture of whats going on.

The audio on the weekend was a radio broadcast which happened to have a YouTube stream. Imagine trying to listen to that with no visual.
Yea, it was bad, but it was also an exhibition game for prospects which clearly the team, the broadcasters or anyone else didn't put a lot of effort, money or time into. I'm not saying it was great, I'm saying they don't care enough about it because they don't see it as being all that important & it's only a small number of fans who care about prospects, us on here.

It's another one of those things that they would rather save money & not spent on because few people care about it. Dean & Gord also don't care all that much about prospects either except for those that have a very good chance at being NHL players. I think they would have done much better with a couple of the younger broadcasters for prospect games on the team1200 than those two. They should be doing just NHL games & leave the rest of this stuff to younger broadcasters who care more to get their feet wet & learn the business.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Am I the only one who had absolutely terrible music poorly mixed in during breaks?

Dead air would be way better than that.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad