Prospects in the 26 range

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by nazzy, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nazzy

nazzy Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    I compiled a list of possible draftees around the #26 range. I know a lot of these guys are probably in the wrong list as I've hardly followed any prospects this year so please correct me on them. Also if you feel others should be added, voice it here.

Boris Valbik (D)
    Oscar Hedman (D)
    Devan Dubnyk (G)
    Dave Bolland (C)
    Enver Lisin (RW)
    Sami Lepisto (D)
    Ladislav Smid (D)
    Evan McGrath (C)
    Johan Fransson (D)

2. PhoPhan

PhoPhan Registered User

The guys I know anything about:

Boris Valbik- Stock is slipping. I personally think he'll be another Dan Focht.
    Oscar Hedman- He'd be a solid choice at 26, he plays a sound game.
    Devan Dubnyk- Unless there is a run on goalies, he will likely be available with the 26th pick in the 2nd round. He is the 4th or 5th best goalie on most lists.
    Enver Lisin- His speed alone makes him a good value pick at this spot.
    Ladislav Smid- He is a very good offensive defenseman, but he has a lot of weaknesses.

3. trahans99

trahans99 Registered User

Accountant
    Boris Valabik

I saw this guy play 3 times this year in London and am shocked that he's even considered a first round draft pick. He is a huge 6'6 defenceman that I thought was the worst player on the ice for all 3 games. He turned the puck over often, short temper, trys to play physical but just wasn't dominant. In fact I saw him get his clock cleaned by Brandon Prust a 5'10 grinder, Prust absolutely knocked Valabik into another world with one punch.

Based on what I saw he's not going to even make the NHL, if he does it'll be as an enforcer defencman and theres not too many of them in the NHL.

4. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    I can't see why Valabik was ever on a radar. I've been saying from the BEGINNING that he reminds me of Mezei, Biron, and Kudroc. I took a bit of flak for saying he'd wind up starting to slip, also.

I hope I'm wrong obviously (about his play that is).

5. Prucha73

Prucha73 Guest

What is the problem with him? too clumsy? too slow?

6. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    Stupid stupid plays, slow to react, slow to skate, slow in general.

7. Son of Steinbrenner

Son of Steinbrenner Registered User

i only watched a few of his games but he looked alright to me. what is making him slip so far. i thought for sure he would be a top 15 pick

8. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    It's pretty tough to evaluate the really big defensemen as prospects. Valabik isn't slow, exactly, but he's awfully unpolished. I can't remember exactly (hopefully somebody else can fill it in) but didn't he turned some heads with his skating and shot at the Top Prospects evaluation? There seems to be some raw physical skill lurking in a huge and mean body there, so naturally that appeals to NHL scouts.

He looks gawky at times, but maybe you would too if you were 6-6 at 17 and just growing into your body. When I saw him early in the season, I didn't really think he was a 1st round pick, but later on, including the Top Prospects game, I started to get it. He needs patience. Just because he has a man's body doesn't mean he's going to be ready any time soon. He just needs to learn how to play within that body and get all his parts moving in the same direction at the right times. Timing, balance, positioning, de-telegraphing, he has a lot to learn and it will take time. But you can't teach size like he has, and you can't teach his mean streak, and so I can see why somebody will take him in the 1st round, hoping for the next Chara, maybe settling for the next Samuelsson, praying that he won't be the next Focht or whoever as a bust. He could be any of the above. I wouldn't take him, personally, but I can see why a team would.

9. Prucha73

Prucha73 Guest

I am sure he is still better at this stage than Dale Purinton ever was or ever will be.

10. nazzy

nazzy Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Any other players you would like to add to that list or predict that will go at that spot?

Thanks for the info on Valbik, I honestly must say that I thought he was a lot more touted than that.

11. Chimaera

Chimaera same ol' Caps

I'd still take him in a second if he's at either First rounder near the bottom.

Though he may need a lot of work... his size is too much to pass up. If he takes 3-4 years in the AHL to get better, that'd be fine. He's a long term project that has too much upside to neglect.

While I don't know if he'll ever reach what Chara is doing, he 'could'. And that's worth a gamble on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.