Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Bye bye Gauthier. Ferguson, Plouffe =/>

Gauthier is going to be on the Leafs next year or traded. I doubt they are going to risk him on waivers. Also, neither have played long enough to make that determination, and Gauthier was much better than Plouffe... And I saw practically every game Plouffe played with the Marlies. Ferguson was good, but it was only for 5 games. If he played like he did over the entire season, he'd get a contract pretty fast though. He's the Gauthier replacement IMO. Plouffe is ECHL fodder.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It's a shame the Leafs didn't sign Durzi out of their development camp last summer. All indications point to him being a 2nd round pick in this draft.

Reactions: uncleben

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It's a shame the Leafs didn't sign Durzi out of their development camp last summer. All indications point to him being a 2nd round pick in this draft.

I think the Leafs made the right decision. Durzi has bust written all over him, and even then I think he will not become a super productive player if he makes it to the NHL. Essentially, I expect more out of a 2nd round pick.

He's not an amazing defensive player and he's not really great in transition either. Not an amazing skater, not a super smart defensive player, and obviously not very physical either. He's where he is at for a 98' offensive defenseman in terms of production as well (applies to Mac Hollowell as well).

He is an interesting prospect, but I do not know if I would even consider looking at him in the spots he's projected to go. Definitely not worth wasting 52 on him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think the Leafs made the right decision. Durzi has bust written all over him, and even then I think he will not become a super productive player if he makes it to the NHL. Essentially, I expect more out of a 2nd round pick.

He's not an amazing defensive player and he's not really great in transition either. Not an amazing skater, not a super smart defensive player, and obviously not very physical either. He's where he is at for a 98' offensive defenseman in terms of production as well (applies to Mac Hollowell as well).

He is an interesting prospect, but I do not know if I would even consider looking at him in the spots he's projected to go. Definitely not worth wasting 52 on him.
No doubt - I would be upset if the Leafs drafted him in the 2nd round. With that said, I wouldn't have been upset if they signed him as a UFA last summer.

Reactions: uncleben

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No doubt - I would be upset if the Leafs drafted him in the 2nd round. With that said, I wouldn't have been upset if they signed him as a UFA last summer.

I guess, but I think there were better guys out of training camp last year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Who did you have in mind?

This is from the perspective of the time, but I thought Cole Coskey was really impressive. Turned in a pretty solid D+1 year as well. He's nothing special, but similar to someone like Hyman, and you need those guys. For free, definitely, but I do not think I would have offered him an ELC either.

Marchment and Engvall looked pretty decent and they actually did earn ELC's. Middleton looked really good too but did not get it obviously.

Really, I do not think anyone there without a contract deserved a contract, but Marchment, Middleton, Engvall and Coskey (outside of maybe some of the Europeans or NCAAers who may have been harder to get on a free ELC anyways) were ahead of Durzi for me. Durzi did not really stand out at all, and there was a reason why he was not even invited to the rookie camp. The other defensemen who were invited over him were terrible too, which just says something on its own IMO.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

That seems like a lot of contracts

Awesome. They all played well and Ferguson and Plouffe add much needed center depth. Who knows, if we are lucky and they are motivated, we might get a Bozak-level player out of one of these guys.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
So 5 of the Growler's top 6 I would guess.

Actually, Brady Ferguson could be the Gauthier replacement for the Marlies. 4C with Greening and Dzierkals as his wingers.

Ferguson could be a Smith/Aaltonnen replacement. He really stood out on his ATO. I can see him and longer shots Plouffe or Pooley earning an ELC by next years end if they put in the kind of work Marchment and Engvall did this year to earn theirs. Plouffe did see time in third periods holding leads, so he could be a Gauthier replacement next year as well.

Last edited:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

That seems like a lot of contracts

Bradley is new and the youngest of the quintuplet. He put up north of a point per game for Regina in his last year in the WHL.

The other 4 were all on PTOs at the end of the year... some got in a few games. Ferguson looked alright.

I assume? most will be destined for NFLD, where they'll be given one or two years to make a mark (most players are done developing by 25) before being replaced by a new crop.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I noticed Adam Brooks didn’t have a stellar first season in the AHL. Why did he underperform compared to the last two seasons where he got over 100 points each season?

I had high expectations of him potentially becoming a Leaf but now I’m not so sure

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I noticed Adam Brooks didn’t have a stellar first season in the AHL. Why did he underperform compared to the last two seasons where he got over 100 points each season?

I had high expectations of him potentially becoming a Leaf but now I’m not so sure

He didnt get a lot of minutes. Basically the 4th line C, but he improved as the season went.

Reactions: hamzarocks

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

he didn't get much of an opportunity early on. He looked great down the stretch and in the playoffs as he got an increased role though

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

Brooks progressed quite well this season. I expect him to be comfortably in the top 6 next year and he has found some great chemistry with Marchment and Moore. I am really excited to see that line next year with more opportunities.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Re Brooks: lots of major junior scoring stars have to adjust to different roles when they make the transition to pro hockey. If they are not at the level where they are going to step in as top six forwards, they have to show they are defensively responsible but that they can still kick in offensively when the chances arises. I think Brooks made that transition and showed he might become a third or fourth line centre in the NHL. That would be a very good result for a fourth round draftee.

Don’t underestimate the significance of contributing on a regular basis to a Calder Cup run by an historically dominant Marlies team. A number of good players spent that run in the press box. Brooks played and contributed

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Re Brooks: lots of major junior scoring stars have to adjust to different roles when they make the transition to pro hockey. If they are not at the level where they are going to step in as top six forwards, they have to show they are defensively responsible but that they can still kick in offensively when the chances arises. I think Brooks made that transition and showed he might become a third or fourth line centre in the NHL. That would be a very good result for a fourth round draftee.

Don’t underestimate the significance of contributing on a regular basis to a Calder Cup run by an historically dominant Marlies team. A number of good players spent that run in the press box. Brooks played and contributed

Probably the one player who improved the most from the first half to the second, great speed and skill and his compete level for his size was quite noticeable.

Reactions: Lauro

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Yeah, based on Brooks play down the stretch I would expect him to be a PPG player for the Marlies next season (or at least in the 0.7 to 0.8 range) In fact, with Bozak's departure, Brooks may even get a few games on call up during the season too. He just looked really really solid out there. Defensively sound, hard working. Babcock kinda guy.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

I realize numerous posters have already responded but I wanted to echo what most of them have said.

Brooks and Bracco were given very short leashes at the beginning of the season. They didn't go on many road trips and were left behind to train with the strength and conditioning coaches (on and off the ice). This seemed to work quite well as by mid-season, both players were playing very well. Bracco was putting up serious offensive numbers after struggling to do so at the beginning of the year and was also playing a much improved defensive game (something we didn't think was possible).

The offense didn't come as much for Brooks but his steady defensive game continued to improve to the point that Keefe couldn't take him out of the lineup.

Next year I would expect to see big jumps in point production for both players and they will likely both see top6/top9 roles with the Marlies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah, based on Brooks play down the stretch I would expect him to be a PPG player for the Marlies next season (or at least in the 0.7 to 0.8 range) In fact, with Bozak's departure, Brooks may even get a few games on call up during the season too. He just looked really really solid out there. Defensively sound, hard working. Babcock kinda guy.
Brooks was always one of those guy who, as soon as he was picked, felt like he'd be a regular one day. He doesn't wow you with anything really but he's always been a safe, projectable prospect.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Moore and Marchment were amazing in the finals. That was our best line by far. Marchment and Moore both seem like NHLers to me...And Marchment really provides something we lack...A combo of size skill and smarts...And to boot he is physical and mean.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Good to see the Leafs having much more control over their ECHL affilliate. No doubt that they'll be one of the top teams if we can just load up AHL contracts and give them 75% of a roster. Problem with the Solar bears is that they had their guys, and Dzierkals, Piccinich etc. didn't really get as much ice time as they should have.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Good to see the Leafs having much more control over their ECHL affilliate. No doubt that they'll be one of the top teams if we can just load up AHL contracts and give them 75% of a roster. Problem with the Solar bears is that they had their guys, and Dzierkals, Piccinich etc. didn't really get as much ice time as they should have.

You have to be a bit careful with that. You can't just overload the team to the point that they just crush the league. Not much development would go on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad