Prospects and Marlies Thread - April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
It has nothing to do with points.

It has nothing to do with skills. Nylander has elite skill but below average vision for a first liner, very similar to Kadri. Kadri never was and never will be a first liner.

My qualification is that I watch the game not the puck. Do you watch the ball when you watch football? If so then you don't know how to watch football because you are supposed to watch the line. The line knows where the holes will be before the quarterback even gets ready to move the ball.

All sports that move quickly are the same.

Back to hockey, if you watch first liners when they are Nylanders age they are obviously first liners. McDavid and Eichel are the most recent and most obvious examples. The Leafs haven't had many lately.

Again, Nylander has top level skill but he can't keep pace with first line NHL speed. Maybe second line. If you don't see it you aren't watching properly. The only way that I can explain it is to not watch where the puck is but where it will be in the future and then watch for players that know where it will be. Nylander isn't one of them.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opininon, but... Wow. :laugh:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
What a load....you can not see holes when watching the game on TV as the camera is on the puck.....

So you basically typed a useless opinion based on what you can see with a limited view as you claim you do not watch the puck and that is all that the TV shows the viewer.

The only think I hate on here is nonsense and you post a lot of it....

He's also told us he doesn't watch Leaf games or games of teams that are tanking.

So I guess his, "I've seen some of about 10 or so NHL games of Nylander and the highlights" probably means the highlights & maybe a few seconds here & there as he frequents his local Best Buy.

The lies are strong with this one.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
No one's disputing your evaluation of his game at this time, yourself and others have made good points. Its your attempt to frame this as Nylander's peak that blows my mind. I mean you've actually just insinuated that he's hit his limit and he'll never be able to keep pace with 1st liners after 22 games in the NHL, after one of the most dominant AHL seasons ever for a sub-20 year old.

This is exactly what's wrong with 666's posts. I question some other statements too but to say with certainty that Willie cannot improve after this brief stint in the NHL seems absolutely ludicrous.

Im guessing he really is the devil and is just here to be controversial lol

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I know everyone is entitled to their own opininon, but... Wow. :laugh:

I agree with him though.

I also feel that the reason that Laine will fail is that his shot is seriously not at first line level, but then again I'm not sure about Matthews because I don't really think he can skate well enough. I mean, well enough to look good now but not at an NHL first line level. It's a bit same problem with Chychrun though.

My favorite prospect is Marner. He's just gonna bulldoze the league, and give Pierre heart attacks.

This is exactly what's wrong with 666's posts. I question some other statements too but to say with certainty that Willie cannot improve after this brief stint in the NHL seems absolutely ludicrous.

Im guessing he really is the devil and is just here to be controversial lol

Another thing that is wrong is that he pinpoints one of Nylander's strengths as something that holds him back. He's on a very short of players that repeatedly makes plays I didn't even see as possible.

A third thing wrong with 666 and his posts is that he seems to consider himself infallible, a trait that leads to ignorance as you can only really become knowledgeable by realizing the limits of what you know.

Last edited:

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I agree with him though.

I also feel that the reason that Laine will fail is that his shot is seriously not at first line level, but then again I'm not sure about Matthews because I don't really think he can skate well enough. I mean, well enough to look good now but not at an NHL first line level. It's a bit same problem with Chychrun though.

Really?? Surprises me. I haven't seen much of his play but hear people rave about his shot. Maybe I missed the sarcasm?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My new favourite line has to be "I don't watch the puck, I watch the game."

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Really?? Surprises me. I haven't seen much of his play but hear people rave about his shot. Maybe I missed the sarcasm?

There was so much sarcasm there that all the little sarcasms probably fought each other to death as you read it, so I understand that you missed it.

My new favourite line has to be "I don't watch the puck, I watch the game."

Sometimes I focus so intently on the puck that I don't even notice that the game has ended and I have followed the guy who got it as a souvenir home.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
There was so much sarcasm there that all the little sarcasms probably fought each other to death as you read it, so I understand that you missed it.

Sometimes I focus so intently on the puck that I don't even notice that the game has ended and I have followed the guy who got it as a souvenir home.

lmao sorry bud

The 'my fav prospect is Marner' that made me think you were serious.....I love the kid. 'Bulldoze the league tho'.....I have no excuse

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Back to hockey, if you watch first liners when they are Nylanders age they are obviously first liners. McDavid and Eichel are the most recent and most obvious examples. The Leafs haven't had many lately.

Pavelski, Datsyuk, ROR, H. Sedin, Giroux, etc were all "obviously" NHL first liners by age 19?

Interesting.

Jun 27, 2005
Pavelski, Datsyuk, ROR, H. Sedin, Giroux, etc were all "obviously" NHL first liners by age 19?

Interesting.

I don't understand why people don't understand what I'm saying but either way it's on me.

What I am saying is that compared to other players in the past, Nylander does not exhibit the vision to be a future first liner. Players his age continue to develop a bit more but most of it's there and we can see that he won't be a first liner IN THE FUTURE based on his vision today, compared to players in the past.

I've used the example of Kadri a few times but it gets ignored but they are very similar. Not similar now but similar when they first played in the NHL. And yes Kadri might have been older but it doesn't matter, vision is vision.

Second liners, that's it and that's not a bad thing.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't understand why people don't understand what I'm saying but either way it's on me.

What I am saying is that compared to other players in the past, Nylander does not exhibit the vision to be a future first liner. Players his age continue to develop a bit more but most of it's there and we can see that he won't be a first liner IN THE FUTURE based on his vision today, compared to players in the past.

I've used the example of Kadri a few times but it gets ignored but they are very similar. Not similar now but similar when they first played in the NHL. And yes Kadri might have been older but it doesn't matter, vision is vision.

how is Nylander like Kadri though? You throw out these comparables and bring up Nylander's vision again but there is no substance to any of this. This is all based off your own opinion, which a lot of people are disagreeing with you. You are right about one thing though and this is on you...you're failing at explaining your flawed logic. Kadri didn't dominate a men's league at the age of 17-18 years old like Nylander did.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Also Kadri was brought up as a winger or at the very least played mostly as a winger in junior and only over the past few years or so has been learning to be a C. Nylander from the get go has been a C so he's had way more responsibility. The comparison of the 2 is so bogus.

Shwaguy*

You're arguments get ignored because they are awful. Kadri has a wet noodle for a shot and Nylander has a laser.

Nylander has great vision too btw. You are factually wrong on that.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Also Kadri was brought up as a winger or at the very least played mostly as a winger in junior and only over the past few years or so has been learning to be a C. Nylander from the get go has been a C so he's had way more responsibility. The comparison of the 2 is so bogus.

Kadri was a center in the OHL, he was moved to wing in the AHL, and tried at wing when he had a brief tryout in the NHL.
However Kadri played his best at center always.

Nylander has had a similar path, he played at Center mostly in Sweden but at first in the AHL he played wing. In the NHL he didn't play wing however. The main difference is that Nylander is progressing a little faster than Kadri. At this point Kadri was playing wing due to Ron Wilson not liking his off the puck play.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

This killed me :laugh:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Kadri was a center in the OHL, he was moved to wing in the AHL, and tried at wing when he had a brief tryout in the NHL.
However Kadri played his best at center always.

Nylander has had a similar path, he played at Center mostly in Sweden but at first in the AHL he played wing. In the NHL he didn't play wing however. The main difference is that Nylander is progressing a little faster than Kadri. At this point Kadri was playing wing due to Ron Wilson not liking his off the puck play.

ohh then thank you for the correction, I could've sworn Kadri played W in junior lol

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Nylander's vision is elite. Guy's off his rocker. The seams he finds for passes don't exist when he sees them. He thinks and sees the game in advance. His play is a lot like a QB who anticipates his receivers and puts the ball where they will eventually be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad