Prospect Info: Prospect Tournament

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I believe we saw what Steve Y actually builds in Detroit. A mediocre offense with excellent defense. The only thing is that most of the defense didn't come to the party (Ed is injured, ASP is in Europe, Johansson is too old).

If we would play

Ed - Wallinder
ASP - Tuomisto
Johansson - Gibson

the final outcome would be completely different.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
That's generally not how it works. A team will attempt to execute the system dictated by the coach. And that system is based on the idea that the goalie will also competently execute his job. If your goalie is a sieve, it throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing, and players start trying different things because the system isn't working (because of the goalie). You attempt to cover up for the goalie, and in doing so you sometimes abandon some of the fundamentals.
This is another cause of concern - is this tournament indicative of the success a Watson coached team will have?

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Every time I think sports fans cannot possibly overreact more than they already have, they find a way to set a new standard. At this point, I really should not be shocked.

Summer hockey kids....summer hockey.

There is overreacting and then there is pointing out that in a competition against their peers — all under the same amount of high pressure — they went 0–3 with not many positives to come from it.

I think the Wings are going to be pretty good this year and in the coming years. But I bet Draper and company are a bit upset right now, haha.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This is another cause of concern - is this tournament indicative of the success a Watson coached team will have?
With this tournament specifically, there's really only the faint semblance of a system. Not only did the players have very little time to practice whatever Watson wanted them to execute, they also had little-to-no experience playing with one another. Practicing a system is the best way to learn how to execute the system, but being familiar with your linemates and their tendencies helps expedite that process significantly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No i am pissed off because we took kasper instead of Kulich or Savoie, i am pissed, that we took Daniels instead of Benson, Dvorsky or Sale. He is doing really great fking job drafting low skill forwards in the top 10, only good pick was pelikka. Also i've gave up on Zadina 2 years ago, and Vrana is arrogant pos.
Lmao, people would have absolutely crushed the Kulich pick on here.

"OMG We drafted a player ranked in the teens/20's at 8?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Every time I think sports fans cannot possibly overreact more than they already have, they find a way to set a new standard. At this point, I really should not be shocked.

Summer hockey kids....summer hockey.
100% this

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
There is overreacting and then there is pointing out that in a competition against their peers — all under the same amount of high pressure — they went 0–3 with not many positives to come from it.

I think the Wings are going to be pretty good this year and in the coming years. But I bet Draper and company are a bit upset right now, haha.
I doubt it. It was a small sample size, with a number of variables (i.e. time off, not being familiar with linemates, little time to practice a system) that make it a chaotic set of games. More likely, Draper and crew used this as an opportunity to see where each individual player is at, what they need to improve, and what else they need to work on. I doubt they care about the actual results of the tournament.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Someday you too will be an old man and you too will learn to appreciate summer hockey for what it is. There will be plenty of more appropriate times to get pissed off about player progress and development. There is no need to rush it.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It is system-less summer hockey. It always has been and always will be. This holds true for all of the teams, not just ours. It takes more than four days to install any meaningful system, especially with kids this young. There is a reason the hockey is pretty bad overall.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
I doubt it. It was a small sample size, with a number of variables (i.e. time off, not being familiar with linemates, little time to practice a system) that make it a chaotic set of games. More likely, Draper and crew used this as an opportunity to see where each individual player is at, what they need to improve, and what else they need to work on. I doubt they care about the actual results of the tournament.

Every team/player is in the same situation though. If anything success in this style of tournament is based solely on individual player skill.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Every team/player is in the same situation though. If anything success in this style of tournament is based solely on individual player skill.
You can judge it all however you'd like, I'm just saying how Draper and the organization are viewing it. They are more interested in properly developing these players than they are in the actual results of these games is all I'm saying.

I would agree that every player has some things to work on, some more than others. But that's to be expected, and I doubt Draper is upset about it. He just has a better idea of what they need to focus on now.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I don't think anyone on that roster becomes a top 6 forward, top 4 d or starting goalie.

(On a good team)

You could argue Kasper, Danielson, Lombardi, Soderblom, Mazur, Hanas, Wallinder and Cossa but I don’t think so.

Actually maybe Lombardi as a 2nd line winger.

Not saying none of them will be good for us. But they’ll be down the line up.

You think Lombardi, a 5'10" 160lbs center, has a better chance than Danielson, Kasper, Soderblom and Wallinder?

This is a BS take. Again I point to Joe Veleno scoring 7 goals in his first tournament, and all the numerous others that have blown up the scoring sheets at this tournament but gone on to do nothing in the NHL like Jeff Panzer.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Red Wings fans due to something good, but nothing is going our way. In last six years we had huge amounts of prospects and results are not much. Kasper is good grinder and power forward, but not more than that, Danielson still needs to show , why he was taken at 9, ASP defansman who not so good defensively, second round picks total disaster, Wallinder improve his defensive game, but he lost his offensive game .
Next week is preseason, let's hope we get some positive vibes

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Red Wings fans due to something good, but nothing is going our way. In last six years we had huge amounts of prospects and results are not much. Kasper is good grinder and power forward, but not more than that, Danielson still needs to show , why he was taken at 9, ASP defansman who not so good defensively, second round picks total disaster, Wallinder improve his defensive game, but he lost his offensive game .

You're extrapolating too much from a really, REALLY small sample size.

Kasper, Danielson and Wallinder were 3 of Detroit's 4 best players. But the problem is you need more than 3 or 4 very good players to have a successful team. The defense were creating many unforced turnovers. Cossa couldn't stop a beachball. Soderblom showed very inconsistent effort.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Lmao, people would have absolutely crushed the Kulich pick on here.

"OMG We drafted a player ranked in the teens/20's at 8?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

100% this
They would be silenced really quickly by Kulich being strong, fast goalscoring stud for Griffins. He had historical season in ahl as 18 yo, and would be already in red wings top6, instead we have soft floater in DeBrincat. He is going to be top 5 in redraft easily.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
positive vibes are literally thrusted upon when the very people that are negative turn positive. So really, you are saying let's hope I get some positive vibes

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
It is system-less summer hockey. It always has been and always will be. This holds true for all of the teams, not just ours. It takes more than four days to install any meaningful system, especially with kids this young. There is a reason the hockey is pretty bad overall.

Dallas was the only team that seemed to know how to play defense. The rest of the games were free wheeling and looked more like house league than pro level prospects.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
You think Lombardi, a 5'10" 160lbs center, has a better chance than Danielson, Kasper, Soderblom and Wallinder?

I guess the only reason I added that because Lombardi is top 6 or nothing. Could easily see the nothing option. Those others you list have a higher % of becoming nhl’ers but not in the top spots.

Danielson I hope is the best 3C in the league.

Kasper will make the NHL and be good but I’m not sure about top 6.

Soderblom, not much there unless he develops quite a bit.

Wallinder I could easily see on the bottom pair.

Maybe it’s an overreaction to 3 games but this is our top 5 prospect pool? This is what we get for years of horrible hockey?

Blah.

Reactions: lilidk

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
It's claiming to be a fan when all you do is complain
It's wanting to draft high upside prospects
And then bitching when Cossa shits the bed

And isn't it ironic?
Don't you think?
A little tooooo ironic
And yeah, I really do think...

• Haha
Reactions: AussieWings

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Damn, Cossa has couple bad PRACTICE games and the panic button gets smashed in.
7de02815-e5c5-426d-9bc8-c0c1f85dff22_text.gif

GR has a finnish goalie coach this year, Cossa will be fine in 2-3 years.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
You're extrapolating too much from a really, REALLY small sample size.

Kasper, Danielson and Wallinder were 3 of Detroit's 4 best players. But the problem is you need more than 3 or 4 very good players to have a successful team. The defense were creating many unforced turnovers. Cossa couldn't stop a beachball. Soderblom showed very inconsistent effort.
Just a little bit , but our prospect pool is way overrated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad