Prospect Info: Prospect Tournament

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Wins and losses in a prospect tourney don't matter but individual skill, i don't see a lot of it? For as much as we've drafted highly for the last few yrs, where's all the skill, minus a few exceptions? I see a lot of 3-4th line players but not a lot to get excited about minus Lombardi & Danielson ? I love Kasper but he's more of a mucker with a little bit of skill. I think our N. American scouting sucks! too many talented skill players left on the board in the 2nd rounds
I'm really not keen on Yzerman's drafting for the most part...yes he's built or at least has plenty of D-men to choose from but the Forward ranks still doesn't the 2nd line Centre and the Red Wings still need more scoring off the Wing except for a few players...Sprong could score 30-35 goals if put on the PP1 or PP2

Reactions: David D

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Geez I could have swore Cossa had a pretty good year last year. Did this little tournament bring that all crashing down?
Toledo was one of the better teams in the league. That's the only excuse/explanation I have. I saw him play in GR, the world juniors and all of his traverse city games the last few years and I've never seen a goalie play as badly as he does on a consistent basis.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Maybe i should, they are building dynasty unlike Detroit.
Sure and since they've done such a stellar job doing so, maybe in April 2024 they can end their current 12 year playoff drought... After drafting 1st overall twice and 2nd overall twice since that time, I sure as hell think they should be doing something worthy by now.

Detroit has not had a top 3 pick in that time, one top 5 pick (Raymond #4, 2020), and haven't had a top 3 pick since 1990, just for some perspective.

Blaming Yzerman for the lack of opportunityDetroit has had to draft multiple superstars like Buffalo to create a "dynasty" is just one of many reasons why people argue your controversial takes all over this forum. Purposely being disingenuous and having absurd takes without considering the context of his tenure.

Yzerman is not immune to criticism, but voicing nothing but unfair criticism is simply obtuse of you. Again, this is why people argue with you.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
LOL, talk about bias. Kulich? Sale? Just because they're Czechs? The last thing we need is another winger with motivation issues.

You'd be a horrible GM. If I was gonna complain about anything, it's picking a goalie in the first round. I also would have picked Moore over ASP.
My choice would be Barlow, but any 3 of them whoud be good choice. Thing about ASP , his hockey IQ probably as much as Barlow and Moore combined

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Funny, thought Cossa was good in the prospect tournament last year, then proceeded to have a horrible start to the season.

The concerns are real on him though. Good thing Yzerman hegded his bet on Cossa and took Augustine. Dont care which one becomes the guy, just need one of them to do it.

Saw some good things from all the bigger time prospects, but all of them need more growth too. Ok bring on the preaseason.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I have no idea why people fell
Sleep on Hanas. Last year before he was injured he was one of their best forwards and probably the best prospect, I really expect a big season from him and expect him to leapfrog over other prospects. He has grit as well.

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Cossa seems to consistently struggle with unstructured hockey, but can be dominant when playing behind a structured team. When he knows where guys are going to be he can dominate with his size and horizontal movement. We are building a team that plays to his strengths. I've also noticed that he makes saves look extremely easy as he just seems to smother everything around him when he's on, but it makes it look less impressive.

At least that's what I keep telling myself, a noted non-expert.

Reactions: Henkka

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Also, while we are reacting emotionally to our underwhelming tournament, let's try to ground ourselves by looking at Bednar, who has been far from impressive since we drafted him and then comes in and plays the tourney lights out. Massive grain of salt for any conclusions from this tourney.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
People should take the prospect tournament with a grain of salt, although it does hurt to watch Cossa have a sub .800% and our top 10 picks get out played by other teams top 10 picks.

Reactions: Ulysses31

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I thought Kasper and Danielson came as advertised this weekend.

Hanas, Wallinder and Tuo surprised me the most. A lot better than I thought they were at in their development. I think Tuo has a legit chance at making the Wings in the near future.

Soderblom, Lombardi ooze skill and will be fun to watch when they make the next step.

Doucet, Gibson have potential. Doucet I can see needing a few more years, but definitely has the tools to be a real pro one day. Gibson had a bit of a rough tournament with a few too many brain farts, but I think a full year of developing and he will be back next year as a #1-2D.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I don't think anyone on that roster becomes a top 6 forward, top 4 d or starting goalie.

(On a good team)

You could argue Kasper, Danielson, Lombardi, Soderblom, Mazur, Hanas, Wallinder and Cossa but I don’t think so.

Actually maybe Lombardi as a 2nd line winger.

Not saying none of them will be good for us. But they’ll be down the line up.

Last edited:

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I don't think anyone on that roster becomes a top 6 forward, top 4 d or starting goalie.

(On a good team)

You could argue Kasper, Danielson, Lombardi, Soderblom, Mazur, Hanas, Wallinder and Cossa but I don’t think so.

Actually maybe Lombardi as a 2nd line winger.

Not saying none of them will be good for us. But they’ll be down the line up.
I'd argue Kasper will be a good top 6 F. And Edvinsson should be a top 4D. Other than that, not many difference makers in the system which is disappointing given the draft capital we've had the past few years. Stupid lottery as well. Must be nice to luck into a Fantilli or Bedard

Reactions: David D and lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd argue Kasper will be a good top 6 F. And Edvinsson should be a top 4D. Other than that, not many difference makers in the system which is disappointing given the draft capital we've had the past few years. Stupid lottery as well. Must be nice to luck into a Fantilli or Bedard

Edvinsson was not there.

I think too many of those 18-year old defenceman (try outs and own 18y low round picks) killed this tournament. Absolute horrible defending.

Only Wallinder and Tuomisto were decent, as expected. Still, them paired together did leave 2 weak pairs to lose the games. Split the talent and even one steady guy more there would have given totally different results.

Just imagine:
Edvinsson with Gibson
Wallinder - Tuomisto
Mathurin with Sandin Pellikka

That's a totally different team, and different results. but Edvinsson and Sandin Pellikka are already what... 2-3 year pros ? They don't belong to prospect tournament.

Also Mazur hurt didnt help. Offence was depleted instantly after he got injured. It was their best hockey on the 1st game 1st period, with Mazur and better depth on lower lines.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Toledo was one of the better teams in the league. That's the only excuse/explanation I have. I saw him play in GR, the world juniors and all of his traverse city games the last few years and I've never seen a goalie play as badly as he does on a consistent basis.

Cossa struggled at the start, but Toledo also was playing bad and had a bad start. Then Cossa played better and suddenly Toledo was playing better, so can't Cossa have been a reason for the turnaround? Not like they were filled with amazing talent in Toledo.

Not saying Cossa is going to be an NHL'er or good, but people crapping on young goalies after every game is ridiculous. Even some of the best ever didn't get good til about 24-25-26 years old, and many of the young ones that made the NHL early didn't play well like Marc-Andre Fleury who started as a 19 year old, but he sucked for the first 2-4 seasons of his career.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
A goalie is a reason teams play worse defence? That is on the skaters not the goalie.
It can happen if the players don't trust the goalie, especially on 2-on-1s. A defender who trusts the goalie is more likely to play his position correct and cover the other forward.

I think it is way too early to say Cossa is a bust or not. Goalies are hard to predict.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It can happen if the players don't trust the goalie, especially on 2-on-1s. A defender who trusts the goalie is more likely to play his position correct and cover the other forward.

I think it is way too early to say Cossa is a bust or not. Goalies are hard to predict.

I disagree. If teams get looser defensively that can mean they trust or expect the goalie to make saves, thus can be freer offensively or get a little sloppier with the puck.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cossa seems to consistently struggle with unstructured hockey, but can be dominant when playing behind a structured team. When he knows where guys are going to be he can dominate with his size and horizontal movement. We are building a team that plays to his strengths. I've also noticed that he makes saves look extremely easy as he just seems to smother everything around him when he's on, but it makes it look less impressive.

I'll take this one.

Cossa is projected to be playing behind the best NHL defence, with guys like Seider, Edvinsson, Wallinder in their prime.

It's a different ballgame, behind 18-year olds, or undrafted canadian junior "talents".

Our team scored 14 goals, and I could believe that's the best GF per game from Red Wings at Traverse City ever. Almost a five goals per game.

Losing games and conceding goals was bad, yeah.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Even if he werent recovering from injury, would he play?

Johansson was drafted too long ago to still need to be playing at this tourney.

Our best prospects, yes apart from SE, were by and large all there

We should have done better.. no more excuses
We were missing 6 of our top 8 defensive prospects. 2 of our top 3 forward prospects missed parts of the tourney. Our 2nd best goalie prospect wasn't there.

There's no need for excuses because the results of the games are meaningless, but we were missing a significant amount of our prospect pool.

But I'm sure you think there's a lot of reasons for Fantilli and Bedard to be playing these tournaments but bringing Edvinsson would have been unfair..

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
The prospect poll we just did. 7 of our top 10 were on the roster. But that includes Mazur.

Missing… Edvinsson (injured), Pelikka (season started), Johansson (age / experience?)

Last edited:

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Funny, thought Cossa was good in the prospect tournament last year, then proceeded to have a horrible start to the season.

The concerns are real on him though. Good thing Yzerman hegded his bet on Cossa and took Augustine. Dont care which one becomes the guy, just need one of them to do it.

Saw some good things from all the bigger time prospects, but all of them need more growth too. Ok bring on the preaseason.
I would bet on Bednar,Augustine is too small at 6-0 and Cossa well is Cossa! Maybe in 5-6 years when Cossa puts it all together but he might find himself in another Organization by then

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I disagree. If teams get looser defensively that can mean they trust or expect the goalie to make saves, thus can be freer offensively or get a little sloppier with the puck.
That's generally not how it works. A team will attempt to execute the system dictated by the coach. And that system is based on the idea that the goalie will also competently execute his job. If your goalie is a sieve, it throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing, and players start trying different things because the system isn't working (because of the goalie). You attempt to cover up for the goalie, and in doing so you sometimes abandon some of the fundamentals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad