prospect tournament talk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rowney isnt tough and it sounds like Witkowski is gonna play some games in Detroit this year actually. Probably for that exact reason, gonna be a lot of young guys in the line up and dont need Smith handling it all

Who has said Witkowski will play?

I see ZERO reason for this. He is just so bad hockeyplayer.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He hasn't fought in a while but Rowney is a capable fighter (especially when compared to Raz/Erne). If it comes down to it though, I'd rather have Witter too, but he's worthless as a hockey player.

Youre thinking of someone else. Rowney has literally never had a fight in the NHL. I know Ernes not great, and I have no clue about Rasmussen but I would be surprised if he could handle them.

Agreed Holmstrom and Zetterberg were as soft as they come.

Same with Kronwall, Ericsson and Lilja

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Who has said Witkowski will play?

I see ZERO reason for this. He is just so bad hockeyplayer.

I forget where I read it, but it was from a legit source saying they were planning on using him a bit this year. It may have been on the athletic but it read like hes going to get NHL games for sure against bigger teams

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Was great to watch some of the next ones play hockey together. Hoping for good news about Berggie.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I forget where I read it, but it was from a legit source saying they were planning on using him a bit this year. It may have been on the athletic but it read like hes going to get NHL games for sure against bigger teams

I've seen only Ansar Khan article, where he just speculated with his own thoughts having Witkowski up, and that was old article before Rowney signing.

Oesterle is signed for that utility guy, able to play both defence and foward. There will be 13 forwards and 8 defencemen up in the final team, and no Witkowski.

Witkowski will be the AHL utility guy in a GOON league. They lost McIlrath, he is needed there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've seen only Ansar Khan article, where he just speculated with his own thoughts having Witkowski up, and that was old article before Rowney signing.

Oesterle is signed for that utility guy, able to play both defence and foward. There will be 13 forwards and 8 defencemen up in the final team, and no Witkowski.

Witkowski will be the AHL utility guy in a GOON league. They lost McIlrath, he is needed there.

Witter is going to play when they have concerns about the rough stuff with the big club. Some here can leave that to Smith, but I think that is an awfully tough spot to put a player that young in, even one that actually likes the role. I expect Witowski to see some NHL games, not a lot but some over the course of the year.

Reactions: David D

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I’m no hockey expert, but it is definitely annoying to have people tell me I’m wrong for what I saw live. Raymond showed the most skill out of any forward there, he back checked and had steals and had great zone entries while maintaining a ton of possession. His first goal came off of tons of sustained pressure in the blues zone. When you have two goals and tons of chances outside of that you dominated the game in my opinion. Like I said the only player who impressed me just as much was 48 for the blues. Think his name was perunovich, you could argue he was better than raymond.

We're just arguing the claim that he "dominated". We saw the same games you did but we just have a different definition for the word, I guess. That's ok. Good for you if you think he dominated. To me, he actually dominated at the WJC but didn't produce as much. You can check the advanced stats if you want tangible proof of domination for that. I don't think he had nearly the same impact in this prospect tournament.

Don't be annoyed, I really am not trying to annoy you, sorry if it came off that way. I am just saying Raymond can be even better than this and actually dominate for real and be the best player game after game.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think the shoulder injuries can be explained right now. It's more likely to be genetic than anything; whether it becomes recurring or not we don't know. The fact that he was driven head first into the boards, concussed and knocked unconscious, well it doesn't require being a Rhodes Scholar to put two and two together for "how" that came to be a situation, and I can promise it has little to do with his other injuries. You can justify it as lack of situational awareness, but that doesn't stop the best players on the planet from leaving an imprint of their face in the boards from time to time.

I'll put as similar as to the same way I did when debating things with Gniwder and then drop it there. We don't know what the future has in store for his shoulders. It's concerning that he has been injured on fairly mild contact, but we don't have anything to suggest that it's going to be a recurring problem the way that it was for Zetterberg and his chronic back problem. If it becomes that, we will know when we know, but not before then. As for the concussion, it wasn't as mild of contact. The hit drove him head first into the glass. You've entered a completely different realm of injuries once you bring the brain into the mix. I don't think the "how" or if it points to an IQ/self-preservation problem concerns me on the concussion like it appears to concern others. My concern is simply that it happened, because odds are he's going to deal with some complications in the short term and probably some complications long term as well.
Dirty hit, but at the same time you can't have your head down towards the boards with an opponent approaching. That's the kind of stuff that ruined Mike Green's career, multiple shoulder, wrist, neck, and head injuries.

He's gonna miss out on even more development time, meanwhile Sebrango gets more ice time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting against him, but right now it doesn't look good. You can tell the lack of playing has impacted his game already.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Dirty hit, but at the same time you can't have your head down towards the boards with an opponent approaching. That's the kind of stuff that ruined Mike Green's career, multiple shoulder, wrist, neck, and head injuries.

He's gonna miss out on even more development time, meanwhile Sebrango gets more ice time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting against him, but right now it doesn't look good. You can tell the lack of playing has impacted his game already.

All the more reason he needed to stay healthy. I don’t know if he will miss much regular season time depending on how he progresses through the protocol. But he’s gotta have a few weeks before the A starts, I would think.

Right now you enter the question of how likely is a repeat concussion. He was absolutely rocked

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
All the more reason he needed to stay healthy. I don’t know if he will miss much regular season time depending on how he progresses through the protocol. But he’s gotta have a few weeks before the A starts, I would think.

Right now you enter the question of how likely is a repeat concussion. He was absolutely rocked
Unfortunately for him, a concussion makes him more vulnerable to a repeat injury. There have been multiple studies on that.

He needs to keep his head up.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We're just arguing the claim that he "dominated". We saw the same games you did but we just have a different definition for the word, I guess. That's ok. Good for you if you think he dominated. To me, he actually dominated at the WJC but didn't produce as much. You can check the advanced stats if you want tangible proof of domination for that. I don't think he had nearly the same impact in this prospect tournament.

Don't be annoyed, I really am not trying to annoy you, sorry if it came off that way. I am just saying Raymond can be even better than this and actually dominate for real and be the best player game after game.

Even at the WJC, I saw him dominate one game - the Austria game where he sliced through the defense at will..
Not so much against USA and Russia.

It just seems like a lot of people, starting with Art Regner, are embellishing. Trying too hard.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the Red & White game and then in NHL exhibition games.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Agreed Holmstrom and Zetterberg were as soft as they come.
Holmstrom couldn't fight but he took a beating in front of the net every night and would get right back up every time he got knocked down (often times with crosschecks to the back of the neck).
I wouldn't call him soft.

Reactions: David D

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Holmstrom couldn't fight but he took a beating in front of the net every night and would get right back up every time he got knocked down (often times with crosschecks to the back of the neck).
I wouldn't call him soft.
At risk of speaking for the person you quoted, I believe he was being sarcastic. While neither Homer or Z were imposing or punishing, they both were “tough” players in the sense of being willing to take the hit to make the play. Gutsy if you will

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Even at the WJC, I saw him dominate one game - the Austria game where he sliced through the defense at will..
Not so much against USA and Russia.

It just seems like a lot of people, starting with Art Regner, are embellishing. Trying too hard.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the Red & White game and then in NHL exhibition games.

But at least there's data to support the claim that he dominated at the WJC, as he had the most generated scoring chances in the whole tournament, but if he and his linemates would have scored more, then I could have claimed more confidently that he actually "dominated". But yeah, because he was held to modest levels of production, I'd end up agreeing with you overall.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't think the shoulder injuries can be explained right now. It's more likely to be genetic than anything; whether it becomes recurring or not we don't know. The fact that he was driven head first into the boards, concussed and knocked unconscious, well it doesn't require being a Rhodes Scholar to put two and two together for "how" that came to be a situation, and I can promise it has little to do with his other injuries. You can justify it as lack of situational awareness, but that doesn't stop the best players on the planet from leaving an imprint of their face in the boards from time to time.

I'll put as similar as to the same way I did when debating things with Gniwder and then drop it there. We don't know what the future has in store for his shoulders. It's concerning that he has been injured on fairly mild contact, but we don't have anything to suggest that it's going to be a recurring problem the way that it was for Zetterberg and his chronic back problem. If it becomes that, we will know when we know, but not before then. As for the concussion, it wasn't as mild of contact. The hit drove him head first into the glass. You've entered a completely different realm of injuries once you bring the brain into the mix. I don't think the "how" or if it points to an IQ/self-preservation problem concerns me on the concussion like it appears to concern others. My concern is simply that it happened, because odds are he's going to deal with some complications in the short term and probably some complications long term as well.

To each his own. I think he is far more culpable for his injury than you apparently do. I absolutely hate it when players turn to face the board thinking it will somehow prevent them from being hit, only to get absolutely crushed and injured. I have seen it far too much in youth hockey with really awful results and absolutely hate it. Protecting yourself is a big, big part of the game and I think he came to the nuisance on that one. Furthermore, as soon as you bend at the hips and make yourself shorter, the principle point of contact for any hit is likely to be the head. If you want to call that boarding, go ahead, but just because a Wings player gets injured doesn't make it a dirty play.

I will leave it at this: health is a skill. That applies to all parts of the body, not just pre-existing injuries.

Reactions: BinCookin

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
To each his own. I think he is far more culpable for his injury than you apparently do. I absolutely hate it when players turn to face the board thinking it will somehow prevent them from being hit, only to get absolutely crushed and injured. I have seen it far too much in youth hockey with really awful results and absolutely hate it. Protecting yourself is a big, big part of the game and I think he came to the nuisance on that one. Furthermore, as soon as you bend at the hips and make yourself shorter, the principle point of contact for any hit is likely to be the head. If you want to call that boarding, go ahead, but just because a Wings player gets injured doesn't make it a dirty play.

I will leave it at this: health is a skill. That applies to all parts of the body, not just pre-existing injuries.

I don't think it was a "dirty play" the way that others have. Like I said, it's a play that happens in the NHL on a fairly frequent basis. The same way I don't think most boarding penalties are associated with malicious intent can be applied to this play. Sometimes it happens. You expect the player to do one thing, he does something else, he ends up crunched. The penalty exists for a reason to try to make it more and more less likely, but it doesn't eliminate all of them, and it captures some innocent mistakes from time to time.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Again, you seem to have a problem with words and definitions.
"Dominant" does not equal "best player."
You can be the best player in a game without dominating.
It's pretty f***ing hard for one guy to dominate in hockey. Think Pavel Datsyuk vs Phoneix in the playoffs. That's about as close as you come to dominating.

I thought Raymond was pretty underwhelming, given expectations, especially at 5 on5.

Look what I Bolded and Underlined... Now realise that your expectations is what makes you so unhappy.
This is your mistake man. Completely imbalanced expectations lead to disappointment and anger.
This would be the problem with anyone who is expecting the moon from any of our prospects. You want Shane Wright? You have to fluke the lottery odds... Else you are getting completely human players... not gods.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad