Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Updated Results:

1) Alex Alexeyev - D, Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 2018 1st Round, 31st OA
2) Ilya Samsonov - G, Hershey Bears (AHL) 2015 1st Round, 22nd OA
3) Jonas Siegenthaler - D, Washington Capitals/Hershey Bears 2015 2nd Round, 57th OA
4) Lucas Johansen - D, Hershey Bears (AHL) 2016 1st Round, 28th OA
5) Martin Fehervary - D, SV71 (SHL) 2018 2nd Round, 46th OA
6) Chase Priskie - D, Quinnipiac Universtiy (NCAA), 2016 6th Round, #177 OA
7) Vitek Vanecek - G, Hershey Bears (AHL), 2014 2nd Round, #39 OA
8) Connor Hobbs - D, Hershey Bears (AHL), 2015 5th Round, #143 OA

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Only Ds and Gs in the top 8. Gonna need some impact forwards soon.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
You like Hobbs that much? I don’t know well enough either way.

Priskie seems a little “flavour of the month” here right now. Akin to some Gersich and AJF runs we had.

Hobbs has the offensive skills. He is an outstanding skater. And also has a strong wrist shot. A bomb. Hobbs is not afraid to play physical. Very physical. And is a good fighter too.

I can 100% see him in NHL as a 3rd pair RHD in very near future.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Hobbs has the offensive skills. He is an outstanding skater. And also has a strong wrist shot. A bomb. Hobbs is not afraid to play physical. Very physical. And is a good fighter too.

I thought he looked slow in the few games I have seen him? Slow for AHL. So NHL would be a tough sled.

Maybe I am off

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

I had thrown out the idea that the org may have considered him ahead of Bowey for the long term, to try to rationalize why many expect/want Brian to trade him.

Me thinks the only way he gets traded is if we are high on Hobbs, or get an RD back. The push back I got was akin to, Bowey is much better than Hobbs!!!1! Whatever, so why would we trade him.

Selling Bowey on the cheap would be a mistake. Not to mention he is cheap, he has the chemistry in the room sorted, and seemingly does fine away from Orpik. He is a young D with some skills. They are usually a mess for a few years. It just so happens he is stuck behind 2 studs on a cup grade team.

It's not always about sheer skills e.g. skating; George always liked some thump at 6/7 and dare I think Brian still does. Orpik, Lewington, Hobbs etc.

Is he slower than Orpik?

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
I voted for Beck. He's probably Hershey's rookie of the year, although Samsonov's play of late may make it a toss up if his strong play continues. He plays hard every game, hits everything, arguably their best penalty killer, has speed, and has started seeing time on the power play.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Priskie seems a little “flavour of the month” here right now. Akin to some Gersich and AJF runs we had.
A season like he's having will do that. He also hasn't been chewed up at the pro level yet so there's appeal that maybe he'll survive it. He's a better skater than Hobbs and it's why I'd favor him currently, esp. since Hobbs hasn't managed to carry over his offensive production yet at the AHL level.

I went with Sutter again, mostly because I liked what I saw in the pre-season. He needs to get quicker but the instincts are good.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Hobbs has a terrific shot and makes some nice outlet passes. He's one of the worst skaters on the blue line in hershey though. Not sure what clips you've seen to show otherwise? His decision making also causes him to struggle being a PP QB, the one place where his offensive upside would be super useful. He's way too high in this poll at this stage of his development.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hobbs has a terrific shot and makes some nice outlet passes. He's one of the worst skaters on the blue line in hershey though. Not sure what clips you've seen to show otherwise? His decision making also causes him to struggle being a PP QB, the one place where his offensive upside would be super useful. He's way too high in this poll at this stage of his development.
I disagree. I think Hobbs should be higher. We have guys ranked higher that have never even played a pro game.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Have you seen him skate in the AHL? I'd say he's if not the worst skater on the team he's damn close.
Not sure what happened to his skating. I followed his junior career and he was a very good skater, had a great shot and played physical.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Not sure what happened to his skating. I followed his junior career and he was a very good skater, had a great shot and played physical.
He struggled in junior too, I was kind of fooled too but it was more so because a lot of them struggle skating. I had the WHL package for a couple years when I had time to watch. His skating has actually improved since then but it's just so choppy and clunky straight away and he looks like he's going to fall down when he pivots. He still has a very heavy shot, plays physical and will drop em at a moment's notice. He's got some good traits but that skating is abysmal and if he can't correct it I don't see him making the next step.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He struggled in junior too, I was kind of fooled too but it was more so because a lot of them struggle skating. I had the WHL package for a couple years when I had time to watch. His skating has actually improved since then but it's just so choppy and clunky straight away and he looks like he's going to fall down when he pivots. He still has a very heavy shot, plays physical and will drop em at a moment's notice. He's got some good traits but that skating is abysmal and if he can't correct it I don't see him making the next step.
I didnt think he struggled in junior. I saw him play a lot.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’m not trying to shit on Hobbs by any means. I really like the guy and his personality meshes very well in any locker room. He seems to be very well liked and respected by his teammates. There are just some major aspects of his game that need worked on if he is going to make the jump to the NHL. Skating is first on that list and he needs to work on his offensive game. He has a very heavy shot but his decision making at the AHL level hasn’t been great. His game hasn’t translated yet.

I will say I’ve been impressed with the strides he has made playing in his own zone. That’s one area that was lacking last year.

Reactions: Holtbyisms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad