Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I fully expect Meruelo to win the auction. There might be one or two players who try to bid him up, knowing that he is all in. I'm waiting for a shovel to hit the ground. I'll bid on that shovel after the arena is built. I don't know if Meruelo is a martyr or a fool, or a swindler. I hold him responsible under the "Captain of the Ship" principle for the loss of the team. If he can partner with responsible management, and once again bring in a top tier hockey front office, then I will be ecstatic.

It seems that the Coyotes own on ice progression hastened the move to Utah. So much of the league revenue comes from the playoffs, the league couldn't allow a playoff series or two to take place in Mullet arena.
How many other bidders actually qualify? I don't know why anyone would want to up bid him because it will drive up the value of the other parcel. It doesn't make sense to drive up the price and potentially be on the hook for land that is more than what you wanted to pay for.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Strong arm Glendale?? What you smokin;"?

They offered to forego the annual lease and play at Glendale on a 3+2 lease under the current terms while pursuing Tempe.. Glendale wanted 12 years plus or nothing, PLUS dump millions more into the arena.

So just who the frick is strong arming who here??
What he should have done in my opinion.. was sign the lease, then just break it once his entertainment district or arena was complete..at the time he was brand new to the situation and was likely advised not not sign..

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
interesting development. listening to morning show and I'm sure its coming from gambo is that meruelo group may be partnering with someone and announcement will come after land deal is completed.

my opinion is that this is meruelo groups way out and still be part of development

oh wow. looks like new branding on it's way. or maybe secondary logo?
not sure where they are getting it from.

here it is. new website leaked.

www.returnofthehowl.com

looks like new branding for this journey.
Wasn’t there a clause that if he took on a partner it had to be a. Rey minor one.. and he has t9 keep the team for 10 years.. unless he can’t build an arena etc?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
People seem to look at billionaires as if they're infallible and put blind faith in them.

Musk, Trump, Buffet, Bloomberg, Gates, and every other billionaire has had their share of big failures to go with their successes. Reaching billionaire status doesn't guarantee success in everything you do and EVERYONE fails sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
People seem to look at billionaires as if they're infallible and put blind faith in them.

Musk, Trump, Buffet, Bloomberg, Gates, and every other billionaire has had their share of big failures to go with their successes. Reaching billionaire status doesn't guarantee success in everything you do and EVERYONE fails sometimes.
You are right, we all have failures, but many give up after their failures, the successful people in life try again, and again and again. Most are scared of failure and that is why most are employees. Most successful people in life have worked their asses off, are not afraid of failure etc. Owing a business over the years you get "thick skin" because of what comes with it. What I disagree is when these billionaires, actors etc. spout off about something because of their status, that is so far out of their area of expertise.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I really would love to get the truth, but I doubt any of us ever will, or even worse recognize it if we do get it. However I want to get hockey back as quickly as possible. My boycott, much like Austin Mathews's success, only lasted midway through the first round. I realize this is a magnificent game. Growing up I loved watching the NBC Sunday game with my dad, who grew up watching the Bruins and Rangers. I loved it before seeing the Coyotes, and I apparently can't quit it. The 80 gold medal team is a formative memory of my childhood. If I have to hold my nose and deal with AM so be it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Think he’s referring to Junior. Fresh out of college with a know it all attitude.

Like not thinking he can run a sports franchise like everything else he owns.
First of all, Jr. isn't running a NHL franchise. He may have a know it all attitude but I have not met the kid to form an opinion.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
First of all, Jr. isn't running a NHL franchise. He may have a know it all attitude but I have not met the kid to form an opinion.
Still, from what we hear (and I am aware we have to take everything with a grain of salt), he had a lot of influence or atleast tried to do a lot of things and made a lot of mistakes.
He might be a good lad who is nice, same goes for the whole family. But it seems like he break more porcelain than needed.

This might have been because of his dad pushing him into the role, but what we can say is that he does not seem to be capable to have that much influence. But he may take away something from this and reflect.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

AM Jr. was the team's "Strategic Advisor, Business and Hockey Operations" for the first year and a half. A Strategic Advisor is a consultant that oversees every area of a business to make sure it is performing at top level. So basically AM Jr. was "hired" as a noob right out of college to give people with much, much more experience in business and the NHL advice on how to do their jobs better. That's going to make him a know-it-all in their minds no matter what.

He may not have been a decision maker but when the boss's son speaks you might feel a bit more obligated to listen and if you don't there's going to be friction. So AM Jr. had way too much influence at the very least.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well apparently he's got a lot more influence in operating the franchise than you're willing to admit to.
Maybe, or maybe not. One thing that is fact is neither you, I or anyone else on this board have any idea how much influence Jr. has. I would think most everything goes thru XG before it hits AM's desk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad