19 Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D
20 Akil Thomas Niagara (OHL) RW

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D -- Victor Hedman
2 Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW -- Matthew Tkachuk
3 Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW -- Evgeni Malkin/Ilya Kovalchuk
4 Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW - Jakub Voracek (?)
5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D -- John Carlson
6 Adam Boqvist Brynäs (SWE J20) D
7 Barrett Hayton S.S. Marie (OHL) C
8 Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D -- Alex Pietrangelo
9 Oliver Wahlstrom USA NTDP (USHL) C -- Brock Boeser
10 Jesperi Kotkaniemi Ässät (SM Liiga) C --
11 Bode Wilde USA NTDP (USHL) D
12 Quinn Hughes Michigan (NCAA) D
13 Rasmus Kupari Kärpät (SM Liiga) C
14 Grigori Denisenko Yaroslavl (MHL) LW
15 Joel Farabee USA NTDP (USHL) LW -- more talented Brendan Gallagher
16 Serron Noel Oshawa (OHL) RW
17 Isac Lundestrom Luleå (SHL) C/LW - Carl Hagelin
18 Rasmus Sandin S.S. Marie (OHL) D
19 Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D -- Ryan Ellis

Not a projection, just stylistic comparisons

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D -- Victor Hedman
2 Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW -- Matthew Tkachuk
3 Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW -- Evgeni Malkin/Ilya Kovalchuk
4 Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW - Jakub Voracek (?)
5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D -- John Carlson
8 Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D -- Alex Pietrangelo
9 Oliver Wahlstrom USA NTDP (USHL) C -- Brock Boeser
10 Jesperi Kotkaniemi Ässät (SM Liiga) C --
15 Joel Farabee USA NTDP (USHL) LW -- more talented Brendan Gallagher
17 Isac Lundestrom Luleå (SHL) C/LW - Carl Hagelin
19 Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D -- Ryan Ellis

Not a projection, just stylistic comparisons
No, Voracek and Zadina are completely different types of players. Similarly, they have excellent stability.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
No, Voracek and Zadina are completely different types of players. Similarly, they have excellent stability.
Yeah I felt obliged to include a Zadina comp but couldn't think of one... went with Voracek due to them both being Mooseheads/offensive players with good smarts/hands

Reactions: Kcb12345

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
Yeah I felt obliged to include a Zadina comp but couldn't think of one... went with Voracek due to them both being Mooseheads/offensive players with good smarts/hands
Voracek and Zadina are very different offensive players, Voracek is a pass first player while Zadina shoots a lot, compared to Voracek

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dahlin doesn't really play like anyone, but if you had to pick a guy in the league it's Subban. Better skater, weaker shot but uses the same high-risk type of moves with great edge work.

Svechnikov is hard to peg, many of the same skills that make Jamie Benn highly successful but uses them in a slightly different way. A bit sneakier with less physicality. He has that balanced offensive game though where he can beat you in multiple ways combined with great strength on the puck.

Zadina has a bunch of the same goal-scoring instincts around the net a guy like Vanek had, but he seems to actually care about back-checking and compete. Neither is a great skater.

Brady Tkachuk has the skill set to be something like his dad. He is going to be bigger and faster than Matt. Although, I don't think he processes the game at the same speed Matt does in regards to reading the play or seeing the passing seem, although Matt is at the higher-end of hockey players in that regard, and its not like Brady's dumb. More of a physical force than his brother's rodent techniques. He probably is somewhere between his brother and Landeskog in style.

Reactions: sufferer

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dahlin plays like no other player.
Josi would be the closest thing.

Svechnikov is Kovalchucks heir. 40 goals 40 assist kinda dude. If hes not dekeing you hes rolling you over.

Zadina is Kovalev, so much Kovalev. Dial back the magician skills and add up a sprinkle of effort and defensive ability though.

Kotkaniemi does have that Kopitar vibe but I think he has more goal scoring potential.

Quinn Hughes plays just like Drouin.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Stylistic of course:

1 Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D- Pavel Datsyuk on D
2 Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW-Matthew Tkachuk (boring I know)
3 Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW-mean Ilya Kovalchuk
4 Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW- two-way Tomas Vanek
5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D- John Carlson
6 Adam Boqvist Brynäs (SWE J20) D- Erik Karlsson
8 Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D- Alex Pietrangelo
12 Quinn Hughes Michigan (NCAA) D- Small PK Subban

Reactions: jfhabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hughes really plays nothing like Subban. His tendency to hold on to the puck too long, his lack of shooting, he has no physical edge over defenders, doesnt roll off anyone, doesnt have anything near the 1 on 1 potential Subban has, Subban is an ox and Hughes is a fawn.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
for the two i have seen a sufficient amount live in person to have a true, educated read:

Svechnikov - similarities to Leon Draisaitl in terms of style & the way he looks on the ice, but a better skater overall or Jamie Benn, but less physical/mean (has shot, size, power, strength & sufficient skating to beat you in many ways) - can see a bit of both in him

Zadina - see a lot of Filip Forsberg in him

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Svechnikov doesn't remind me of Kovalchuk on the ice much, he is a much more fluid skater to the point where he may as well be gliding around, whereas Kovalchuk had a lot more jump in his skating.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Svechnikov reminds me Rick Nash. Huge body but not overly physical, golden hands and scoring ability. Svechnikov just like Rick Nash are elite skaters for their size and both look sometime disinterested defensively.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Quinn Hughes = Tyson Barrie
Hughes carries the puck a lot out of his own zone, and into the offensive zone with possession.
Tyson-Barrie.png

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Hughes really plays nothing like Subban. His tendency to hold on to the puck too long, his lack of shooting, he has no physical edge over defenders, doesnt roll off anyone, doesnt have anything near the 1 on 1 potential Subban has, Subban is an ox and Hughes is a fawn.

I think that's a pretty ruthless evaluation of Hughes. I said small Subban for a reason; you're right that Hughes lacks Subban's ability to shoulder contact from an opponent. His shot definitely isn't as good either. In terms of physicallity and shooting I'd never expect Hughes to resemble Subban.

However I think they're similar stylistically in regards to the rest of their game. Subban is an established NHL D that's a perennial Norris candidate so we should expect Hughes to be generally lacking in comparison. Their skating in transition and the way they distribute the puck and roam the offensive zone is very similar IMO. To each their own though. What's a better comparison in your mind? I think Tyson Barrie is a pretty good one as another poster suggested.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think that's a pretty ruthless evaluation of Hughes. I said small Subban for a reason; you're right that Hughes lacks Subban's ability to shoulder contact from an opponent. His shot definitely isn't as good either. In terms of physicallity and shooting I'd never expect Hughes to resemble Subban.

However I think they're similar stylistically in regards to the rest of their game. Subban is an established NHL D that's a perennial Norris candidate so we should expect Hughes to be generally lacking in comparison. Their skating in transition and the way they distribute the puck and roam the offensive zone is very similar IMO. To each their own though. What's a better comparison in your mind? I think Tyson Barrie is a pretty good one as another poster suggested.
Jonathan Drouin with better skating.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

newdimension

May 18, 2013
1 Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D
He's so unique that I don't think one single comparable can fit. Maybe a little bit of Jay Bouwmeester in his draft year, mixed with Scott Niedermayer, who was an excellent skating two-way guy that could also lay a few hits; mixed with Victor Hedman. If that somehow all makes sense.

2 Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW
The easy comparable is Matthew Tkachuk; but with more grit and playmaking ability. Maybe he'll have a Scott Hartnell-like career.

3 Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW
The Malkin/Kovalchuk comparisons are pretty spot on, I'm thinking.

4 Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW
At current time, I don't think he has the speed and two-way ability of a Marian Hossa, but I think he has the hands and scoring ability to be sort of like him. Maybe a Filip Forsberg type of winger that can drive his line.

5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D
I think of him as an offensive defenseman that'll get a lot of shots on net. Maybe a John Carlson type. Or Roman Josi, for his smarts and abiity to dictate play.

Erik Karlsson-like. Not saying he'll have the same type of career; but think of a highly offensive, mobile, shooting defenseman.

Bryan Little is my comparison to him. His best bet is likely to become a solid 2nd line center that plays well at both ends of the ice, while owning a nice release.

8 Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D
Alex Pietrangelo's name is thrown a lot about him and it's a good one. Mobile, smart, smooth and safe with good size and two-way ability.

9 Oliver Wahlstrom USA NTDP (USHL) C
At top end, I think he could be like a Vladimir Tarasenko, meaning he's a big offensive, goal scoring, shots-on-goal type of winger that can speed down off the rush and snipe goals. Maybe a David Pastrnak/Tarasenko type of offensive winger.

10 Jesperi Kotkaniemi Ässät (SM Liiga) C
His two-way play, along with his ability to snipe the puck, makes me compare him to a Sean Monahan type. A serviceable top 6 center/winger that still has work to do on his skating.

Rasmus Ristolainen. Think of a big, offensive defenseman that can have some defensive lapses.

For me, I compare him to a Dan Boyle or Brian Campbell type of defenseman. Undersized, but quick, and used their smarts to play and put up points.

For me, he's similar to Matt Duchene. Maybe moreso of the Duchene that battles with inconsistency, but can still bring speed and skill to a lineup.

He's a lot like Jonathan Drouin to me. Amazing hands and a winger with high offensive creativity. Can he handle play when things get a little too tight and checking gets a little harder, though?

15 Joel Farabee USA NTDP (USHL) LW
He's sort of a Zach Parise type for me. He can be a playmaker, make offense and even chip in defensively and grind it out on the PK.

This is a tougher one because you don't see too many 6'5" guys. Maybe Anthony Mantha just a little. It's not a 100% comparison, but they have the size factor and can go to the net to score goals.

17 Isac Lundestrom Luleå (SHL) C/LW
At top end, he can be like Bo Horvat. When Horvat was drafted, he had the same concerns that Lundestrom had -- that he may not have enough offensive upside. Horvat showed otherwise and I think Lundestrom can do the same. They both play a smart, two-way game.

He's one of my underrated favorites. I love his vision and the smarts he brings. At best, I think he's an Andrei Markov type of defenseman. What that means is, like Markov, he's not the fastest skater, or the biggest, but he can do a little bit of everything, including make plays and play offense. Even lay out a check now and then, too.

19 Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D
At the very top end, he can be a Duncan Keith-like clone. I think he's more of a TJ Brodie/Mark Giordano hybrid type. A leader, swift skater that can hit, move the puck along and be a good analytics defender.

For me, he's sort of similar to a Nazem Kadri. Plays with an edge, while bringing playmaking ability. I could see him battle inconsistency issues, too, ala Kadri.

Reactions: Peeps and huntison

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I was commenting about how Brady falls down a lot, just in around the net and forechecking. So then that got me to thinking who falls down this much. Hartnell. Then nearly everything fit. The physical game, the frame, the skating, the net front presence, the curly hair!

I could see this as a stylistic comparison and possible career projection as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad