Prospect NHL comparables

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Dahlin reminds me a lot of OEL, right down to his build, skating style, stride length. But he might be a bit more dynamic at the same age, and at the very least, takes a lot more risks skating through traffic/sticks.

Svechnikov reminds me a bit of a winger version of Malkin and a younger Blake Wheeler hybrid. Wheeler wasn't a overpowering brute when he was younger but filled out as well as anyone, got better each year as well. He already has the frame where if he puts his shoulder down, it's hard to knock him off the puck. It's scary to think if he fills out and adds another level of compete to his game what he can do, as he has the skill to match his frame, making him a rare commodity in any draft.

Denisenko reminds me of Gusev/Oshie having watched him at Five Nations.

Zadina is similar to Nico, but a winger version.

Big fan of Kotkaniemi, he's more Scheif than Timo Meier IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Calen Addison - Tyson Barrie
Noah Dobson - Alex Pieterangelo
Jared McIsaac - Thomas Chabot
Ty Smith - Brian Campbell
Ryan McLeod - Antoine Vermette
Oliver Wahlstrom - Vlad Tarasenko

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've only seen a bit of Dahlin, but going from that, and descriptions of his play, he sounds a bit like a young ( pre compound fracture)Serge Savard. Good size, offensive talent, great skating, capable of good defensive play...not sure of the last one with Dahlin. It probably depends on where he ends up, and how he is developed. Wingers can come in as finished items, sometimes even C's, but I think Dmen take longer to adjust to playing defensively in the NHL.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Dahlin is Ekman-Larsson on steroids

Svechnikov is Kovaltchuk 2.0

Tkachuk is Zibanejad
I’d say Wahlstrom is closer to Zib than Tkachuk, Tkachuk plays nothing like Zib

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D -- Victor Hedman
2 Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW -- Matthew Tkachuk
3 Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW -- Evgeni Malkin/Ilya Kovalchuk
4 Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW - Jakub Voracek (?)
5 Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D -- John Carlson
6 Adam Boqvist Brynäs (SWE J20) D
7 Barrett Hayton S.S. Marie (OHL) C
8 Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D -- Alex Pietrangelo
9 Oliver Wahlstrom USA NTDP (USHL) C -- Brock Boeser
10 Jesperi Kotkaniemi Ässät (SM Liiga) C --
11 Bode Wilde USA NTDP (USHL) D
12 Quinn Hughes Michigan (NCAA) D
13 Rasmus Kupari Kärpät (SM Liiga) C
14 Grigori Denisenko Yaroslavl (MHL) LW
15 Joel Farabee USA NTDP (USHL) LW -- more talented Brendan Gallagher
16 Serron Noel Oshawa (OHL) RW
17 Isac Lundestrom Luleå (SHL) C/LW - Carl Hagelin
18 Rasmus Sandin S.S. Marie (OHL) D
19 Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D -- Ryan Ellis
20 Akil Thomas Niagara (OHL) RW

Not a projection, just stylistic comparisons
Is it just me or are these just comparisons of players of the same race? Farabee and Gallagher don't seem much alike. I'd say he plays more like Turris and Dahlin doesn't remind me of Hedman a single bit.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Is it just me or are these just comparisons of players of the same race? Farabee and Gallagher don't seem much alike. I'd say he plays more like Turris and Dahlin doesn't remind me of Hedman a single bit.
Race? Well I guess pretty well every player listed is while.

Hedman is the best comp I could think of for Dahlin, but really there's nobody quite like him.

Turris and Gallagher are both white Canadians, while Farabee is American... nice try though. I chose Gallagher because they're both relentless forwards who undersized but play their asses off... whereas Turris slacked off just because he didn't want to play in the Desert. I can't see either of Gallagher or the U.S. U-18 captain, Joel Farabee ever doing that.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Race? Well I guess pretty well every player listed is while.

Hedman is the best comp I could think of for Dahlin, but really there's nobody quite like him.

Turris and Gallagher are both white Canadians, while Farabee is American... nice try though. I chose Gallagher because they're both relentless forwards who undersized but play their asses off... whereas Turris slacked off just because he didn't want to play in the Desert. I can't see either of Gallagher or the U.S. U-18 captain, Joel Farabee ever doing that.
I'm not trying to "get you". I was just saying that this list of comparables isn't very accurate. Farabee and Gallagher are much different players. Ones a skill player and the others a grind. One has long and quick strides, while the other has short and powerful strides(quick too). They also have much different shots too.

Bannermanjim

Dec 27, 2017
Dahlin - Pk Subban is close, but Dahlin has more flair offensively
Svechnikov - Matthews on the wing
Zadina - Kucherov
Hughes - Brian Campbell
Wahlstrom - Corey Perry

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Rasmus Dahlin Frolunda (SHL) D
Stylistic comparable: A bigger Duncan Keith, with dynamic, puck carrying skills, reminiscent of Evgeni Malkin.

Brady Tkachuk Boston U (NCAA) LW
Stylistic comparable: A left shot Bobby Ryan.

Andrei Svechnikov Barrie (OHL) RW
Stylistic comparable: Marian Hossa.

Filip Zadina Halifax (QMJHL) RW
Stylistic comparable: A smaller Dany Heatley.

Evan Bouchard London (OHL) D
Stylistic comparable: John Carlson.

Adam Boqvist Brynäs (SWE J20) D
Stylistic comparable: Lubomir Visnovsky.

Noah Dobson A-Bathurst (QMJHL) D
Stylistic comparable: Dougie Hamilton.

Oliver Wahlstrom USA NTDP (USHL) C
Stylistic comparable: Rickard Rakell.

Quinn Hughes Michigan (NCAA) D
Stylistic comparable: Shayne Gostisbehere.

Ty Smith Spokane (WHL) D
Stylistic comparable: T. J. Brodie.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
All these people comparing Brady Tkachuk to Matthew I think it was Craig Button that said the comparison is just lazy and they play nothing alike.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I'm not trying to "get you". I was just saying that this list of comparables isn't very accurate. Farabee and Gallagher are much different players. Ones a skill player and the others a grind. One has long and quick strides, while the other has short and powerful strides(quick too). They also have much different shots too.
Sure, it was an off the top of my head comparable list and was based mostly on being undersized forwards with grit. They're not identical, or even close, but I was just spouting off a few in the moment. Didn't put that much thought into it

Reactions: Castle8130

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
All these people comparing Brady Tkachuk to Matthew I think it was Craig Button that said the comparison is just lazy and they play nothing alike.

Brady has even said he thinks he plays like his brother, so not sure I agree on that.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

There are certain similarities, however, if they weren't bothers, I don't think most would think to compare their games.

Matthew is more Corey Perry than anything. He is a grade A agitator, who loves stirring up the pot and creating enemies. He has a great net-front presence and awesome hands in close. He does his damage in the trenches, scoring mostly within 10 feet out. His style is more of a throwback to his father, than Brady's is. I see a ton of Corey Perry there, albeit left hand shot. He could score 30-40 goals a year and be hated in every arena he steps foot in, outside of Calgary. In a playoff series, he'll likely score big goals, put in his points, while ending up public enemy number one. Think of his personal war with Drew Doughty and the Kings, his rookie year.

Brady's game reminds me a lot of a young Bobby Ryan. He's a big, solid kid who protects the puck well and is extremely crafty around the net. Like a young Bobby Ryan, he uses his size to his advantage - and occasionally throws a thumping hit - but his main purpose is not to hop over the boards and stir up a crap storm, like his brother. Like Ryan, Brady is creative and has some very nice one-on-one skills heading towards the net. He also loves the give-and-go and will surprise you with an exceptional pass now and then. Brady, is big, strong, and could play a hard-nosed, physical game, but he is not looking to drag the game down into the gutter and turn it into a slug fest, like his brother. The biggest difference between Brady and Bobby Ryan is their shooting hand - righty vs. lefty. But watching Brady play, reminds me so much of Bobby Ryan as a young pup.

Personality-wise, Matthew and Brady are very difference. They both have the Tkachuk size and work ethic but they are different people. I actually spoke to Keith Tkachuk personally at the World Junior Championship in Buffalo and asked him about his boys. Matthew is a very focused, driven person who thrives on playing the game on the edge. He feeds off that, craves it. Brady is more of a low-key, silly kid, who gets along with everyone and loves to fit in. He keeps it light in the room, where Matthew is a spark plug. This is right from the man who fathered them both and watched their entire careers. I think he knows better than anyone.

Last edited:

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Dahlin plays like no other player.
Josi would be the closest thing.

Svechnikov is Kovalchucks heir. 40 goals 40 assist kinda dude. If hes not dekeing you hes rolling you over.

Zadina is Kovalev, so much Kovalev. Dial back the magician skills and add up a sprinkle of effort and defensive ability though.

Kotkaniemi does have that Kopitar vibe but I think he has more goal scoring potential.

Quinn Hughes plays just like Drouin.
How does Quinn Hughes, a D-man play just like Drouin?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I do watch him. Just seems like an odd comparison.
Really? Watching them coming on their wings moving the play up ice, being at the center of the play, outskating ajd outdekeing everyone, keeping it a bit too long on his stick, not much of a shooter... i think the comparison is pretty spot on.

Position doesnt matter, some players are alike even transcending position. Radulov and Subban is another one in the offensive zone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->