Prospect Info: Prospect Camp: Arizona Rookie Faceoff [Sep 17 - 20]

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m going to wait and see on Sampo.

I’m happy to hear he and Newhook are showing out, but this is an environment that’s tailor made for Sampo to dominate. Very structured and no one outside of Byram can match him physically.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I guess O’Brien if I had to pick one stood out, he does have a bit of skill? I really am not taking any of those dudes serious though and it’s impossible when they all practice together with no numbers.
Why don’t they have numbers? This org is pathetic sometimes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Why don’t they have numbers? This org is pathetic sometimes.
They had the name bars and numbers for the drills and power skating but I guess when they separate by lines with multiple color jerseys for practice they can’t do this. Very frustrating.

For example

FSC is as great as ever. It smelled like hot dogs all day and had one group doing their stretching on a roped off section of the public concourse.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
They had the name bars and numbers for the drills and power skating but I guess when they separate by lines with multiple color jerseys for practice they can’t do this. Very frustrating.

For example

FSC is as great as ever. It smelled like hot dogs all day and had one group doing their stretching on a roped off section of the public concourse.

Thanks for clarifying.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
+1 here, he’s looked fantastic. He’s in that mode where everything he does looks easy. It’s been big boy stuff like consistency, great footwork, etc than ok he’s just faster than most of these dudes (he is tho). Obv games plus real camp are bigger tests but he just brings so much to the table, if they can’t figure it out then better ain’t walking through that door.

I’ll give a HM to Beaucage. He wasn’t second best per se but exceeded my expectations. Real camp is a huge test for him tho.

TBH I liked the Sampo-Foudy-Beaucage line best today, all three were pretty fun and worked well together.
do u have a site or blog were u summarize the days events in regards to the preseason/camp??

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, Avs security is a bunch of old "get off my lawn" blokes and the gaffers in charge of the arena are complete loonies. When I played hockey there in the past, they were like Nazi Germany when it comes to time, chequing for wrist bands, or avoided giving people extra free ice-time at all costs.

Avs really need a new practice rink, but not sure where to put it though. Maybe in Wheat Ridge (Lakeside/Edgewater-ish), Cherry Creek, or redo Big Bear (which is getting really old).

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
From the sounds of some of these drills, it’s almost impossible to determine (outside of the obvious) who’s gonna have an amazing weekend in the tourny.

Like don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about how it sounds like Ranta is doing. However they’re doing drills that center on very very specific game situations. Sure the drill where Byram has no stick is gonna make him think more positionally, but Girard would sink in that drill.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
They don’t have names and numbers for those colored line jerseys because they can change so often.

Reactions: arun

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
They don’t have names and numbers for those colored line jerseys because they can change so often.
I understand that it makes it harder logistically but they could have reversible (2 color) numbered jersey.

Also even if they change often it does not cause any problem for the Avs to have numbered jerseys (even with inconsistant numbering) but it helps fans in the stands.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I understand that it makes it harder logistically but they could have reversible (2 color) numbered jersey.

Also even if they change often it does not cause any problem for the Avs to have numbered jerseys (even with inconsistant numbering) but it helps fans in the stands.
It’s not two colors though. The line colored jerseys are in a bunch of colors. Because there are a variety of lines.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Oh I know but reversibles would still help with number consistency. (And the number of physical jerseys would be halved.)
I think you’re asking a lot. I don’t think there’s a single NHL team out there who’s line color jerseys are numbered. Most have two sets for training camp which are numbered (usually darks and whites) but when it comes to baby blue, purple, grey etc you never see numbers because they change every single day and sometimes even in the middle of practices.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
From the sounds of some of these drills, it’s almost impossible to determine (outside of the obvious) who’s gonna have an amazing weekend in the tourny.

Like don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about how it sounds like Ranta is doing. However they’re doing drills that center on very very specific game situations. Sure the drill where Byram has no stick is gonna make him think more positionally, but Girard would sink in that drill.
Girard is fantastic positionally, he’d do great at it.

Like I said it’s not that Ranta is doing a nice drill it’s the why. Of course we’ll see but if they can’t manage to get at least a role player out of him there’s not much hope for anyone else.

I don’t know if other teams are as line color obsessed as the Avs but once they’ve been determined they don’t really change. At the very least keep the name bar? I can’t imagine everyone on that staff can keep everyone straight. I know they video it all but pretty tough for in the moment impressions when you can’t tell who anyone is.

Reactions: Metallo

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I think you’re asking a lot. I don’t think there’s a single NHL team out there who’s line color jerseys are numbered. Most have two sets for training camp which are numbered (usually darks and whites) but when it comes to baby blue, purple, grey etc you never see numbers because they change every single day and sometimes even in the middle of practices.
These jerseys could have numbers, even if they are not always the same for a player. At least a person in the stands can say to his buddy “Hey, keep an eye on 67.”

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
These jerseys could have numbers, even if they are not always the same for a player. At least a person in the stands can say to his buddy “Hey, keep an eye on 67.”
But then 15 minutes later somebody completely different is wearing that jersey?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It’s better than nothing. At least you can say to your buddy:”Hey, check out #67!”

Its something that has 0 drawback, so why not?

It has a drawback, it costs money and pretty much serves zero purpose.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just shown that it serves a purpose. And the cost is minute. It’s just a case of laziness and lack of attention to details.

The 25 fans watching a practice doesn't have a tangible benefit...

The cost really isn't minute either... customizations to jerseys, having to buy a bunch, and then no be able to constantly re-use them certainly has a cost. Tens of thousands may not seem like a lot to a multi billion dollar industry, but each team doing that adds up. For most of the league (20-25+ teams), it is a low or negative margin business... adding to that just doesn't make business sense.

Reactions: Barklez

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The jersey’s they were wearing didn’t have actual names on them, it was just their names on a velcro attachment that came off. They can do those on any jersey.

Reactions: Metallo

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The 25 fans watching a practice doesn't have a tangible benefit...

The cost really isn't minute either... customizations to jerseys, having to buy a bunch, and then no be able to constantly re-use them certainly has a cost. Tens of thousands may not seem like a lot to a multi billion dollar industry, but each team doing that adds up. For most of the league (20-25+ teams), it is a low or negative margin business... adding to that just doesn't make business sense.
It’s just adding numbers, it does not require more jerseys. Changes nothing to team use (as they don’t rely on numbers to begin with). We are talking a few hundred bucks.

It serves more than fans in attendance, it allows player identification on media pictures/video. That’s part of promoting your product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad