Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
They also already know what they have in Marincin, yet he is playing. If Dermott sits tomorrow, something unusual maybe going on behind the scenes especially if it definitely turns out not to be an injury.

So what are you saying, that Dermott was suspended?
:facepalm:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Todd Crocker @HockeyCrock·
5h
For those asking about scratches, it's all about everyone getting a look and a 3 in 3 weekend. Not a comment on talent or health

So much for something unusual going behind the scenes with Dermott.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If you have the puck skills and hockey sense necessary to play strong defense in the NHL, then those skills should carry you to at least modest junior production. It doesn't even have to be much, but at least your share just from being on the ice that much.

Should is the key word. Not doing so is definitely a cause for concern and reason to look deeper, but if the tools are evident and the production is not there you can't just right them off, especially if they're getting good defensive results

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
No he's not. He's still with the Marlies, just not on the active roster yet. As per the Toronto Sun: " Forward Martins Dzierkals, who was left behind on the Marlies’ three-game road trip, worked out Friday at the MasterCard Centre with player development coach Stephane Robidas. "

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Should is the key word. Not doing so is definitely a cause for concern and reason to look deeper, but if the tools are evident and the production is not there you can't just right them off, especially if they're getting good defensive results

I don't agree. I think it's perfectly reasonable to write off late-round draft picks who can't score junior. In fact I think it's a pretty obvious thing to do. Who DO you write off if not them?

At least to whatever extent "write off" means, coming from someone who makes no decisions on the matter.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't agree. I think it's perfectly reasonable to write off late-round draft picks who can't score junior. In fact I think it's a pretty obvious thing to do. Who DO you write off if not them?

The ones who don't score in Junior PLUS

-Lack environmental factors that explain the low production (no PP time, low scoring team, etc)
-Visibly lack the fundamental skills that the production is supposed to be signalling
-Aren't dominant/highly effective at the Junior level @ their non-production attributes
-Lack other tools that project as strengths at the NHL level

If you can ojectively say no to all 4 of those you might just have a prospect.

Reactions: uncleben85

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

At least to whatever extent "write off" means, coming from someone who makes no decisions on the matter.
Write off the guys who don't put up across the board. It's not just scoring. Even juniors can be low scoring but effective at PK or defense or faceoffs, etc

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Rychel Aaltonen Kapanen
Johnsson Mueller Soshnikov
Greening Brooks Moore
Clune Smith Timashov

Marincin LoVerde
Dermott Liljegren
Valiev Holl

Pickard

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
They also already know what they have in Marincin, yet he is playing. If Dermott sits tomorrow, something unusual maybe going on behind the scenes especially if it definitely turns out not to be an injury.

How does Keefe know what he has in Marincin? Has he ever coached him before?
Some fringe NHLers:
- Griffith - is Crosby esque once he gets playing in the AHL.
- Greening - pretty well same decent support player in the NHL or AHL.
Marincin can look half decent against weaker comp when playing, so maybe he'll be the Marlies best dman, or maybe his confidence is shot and will handle the puck like a hand grenade. Not going to find out unless he plays, right?

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
So,bout Bracco?
I don't know the player really well,
but i do understand that professional scouts and fans alike are both excited about him.

I'd love to know what the thinking of the coaching staff is right now.
At least with regards to what benched him last weekend,
and what the longer term element will be for him this season (minutes, games, roles etc)

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
2g 1a for Korshkov today.

Good. If he wants a chance to come over next year, he needs more than 4 points in 20 games, even in the KHL as a young guy.

Although there is no rush. He was injured last year and he is a big guy. I'd rather he develop properly over there first and then come over when he's pretty much a straight shot for the NHL. Shouldn't be any reason to put him in the AHL for any long stretch (unless he really struggles to move to NA ice, which he shouldn't given his size). Keep him in the KHL or NHL. We keep his rights until he's 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad