Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Anyone know if Chara was slow when he broke in with the Islanders?

probably was id imagine, im no skating expert but some of Rasanen's issues aren't speed in fact once he hits top speed he is a really fast skater. I think it may be his first step and lateral agility that are his issues. Would have to get confirmation from the more knowledgeable posters on skater (diceman etc), from what I remember posters saying it is fixable and will take some work but not Andrew Nielsen bad

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
probably was id imagine, im no skating expert but some of Rasanen's issues aren't speed in fact once he hits top speed he is a really fast skater. I think it may be his first step and lateral agility that are his issues. Would have to get confirmation from the more knowledgeable posters on skater (diceman etc), from what I remember posters saying it is fixable and will take some work but not Andrew Nielsen bad
You can improve and some certainly have but it has held back more than a few prospects. I hope Rasanen can. I for one love the idea of taking big defensemen after the first round.

BTW, the best part of Pronman's mailbag this week was regarding the Sabres prospects...

"I like Alexander Nylander, Brendan Guhle and Rasmus Asplund, but it's hard to see any becoming impact guys. If you know a Sabres fan, give them a hug."

Ouch.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Nielsen is an all around bad skater. Takes him way too many strides to get to his top speed and he's not agile. Rasanen is actually really fast at top speed (easily faster than Parayko for instance at top speed vs top speed), it's just as Walshy said. You can see it in his first step it takes a few strides before he actually gets going. If he gets that fixed, he should have the lateral agility fixed as well (since it's largely based on how quick your first stride is laterally).

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I believe korshkov team got eliminated today. Does anyone know if he will come to the marlies. Would love to see him play.
This would be a huge get, especially considering how many of the Marlies top players are currently with the Leafs.

He would get a great opportunity likely in the top 6.

Hopefully Grundstrom comes over again as well. When is his Swedish season expected to end?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
This would be a huge get, especially considering how many of the Marlies top players are currently with the Leafs.

He would get a great opportunity likely in the top 6.

Hopefully Grundstrom comes over again as well. When is his Swedish season expected to end?
Frolunda, the 3 seed is in the quarter finals right now. Series is tied at 1 win apiece.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Anyone know if Chara was slow when he broke in with the Islanders?
Chara was one of the worst skaters to ever play in the WHL As a juinior Chara was absolutely terrible and it looked like he would never be an Nil player

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Chara was one of the worst skaters to ever play in the WHL As a juinior Chara was absolutely terrible and it looked like he would never be an Nil player
He's come a long way.

Couldn't have been easy skating in that growing body.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He's come a long way.

Couldn't have been easy skating in that growing body.

same could possibly be true for Rasanen, who isnt the worst skater in OHL history bad. I really like Rasanen out of all our giant d prospects he is the only one to have 2 seasons of ~.5 ppg, i think there is a chart that shows even the best defensive dmen in the NHL could score in jnr, and thats why i dont think the other guys have much of a shot. 6'7" RHD even if only on a bottom pair will be absolutely fantastic.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Getting Gordeev even a game or two would be great, it would probably be great for him to be apart of a well structured winning environment. Flint isn't exactly the best place to be. I would love to see Yegor Korshkov come over as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I doubt Gordeev will get a game. He will very likely just practice.

I'm big on skating and Gordeev being that good of a skater in a 6'6" frame is very intriguing.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Gordeev was always going to be a major project. He still looks a lot like a forward playing defense. We should think of him being a year or two behind his peers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I believe korshkov team got eliminated today. Does anyone know if he will come to the marlies. Would love to see him play.

Korshkov has never attended a development, rookie or training camp. It's not unusual for the latter 2 since they are at the same time as the KHL camps though.

I'm hoping he does at least fly to Toronto now or at least over the summer to get set for training camp. People in here told me he's coming over for next season but part of me has that bad feeling he'll stay in the KHL. He doesn't have a KHL contract for next season which is good news for now.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Gordeev was always going to be a major project. He still looks a lot like a forward playing defense. We should think of him being a year or two behind his peers.

same goes for all the big guys. All major projects to differing degrees but all still major

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Korshkov has never attended a development, rookie or training camp. It's not unusual for the latter 2 since they are at the same time as the KHL camps though.

I'm hoping he does at least fly to Toronto now or at least over the summer to get set for training camp. People in here told me he's coming over for next season but part of me has that bad feeling he'll stay in the KHL. He doesn't have a KHL contract for next season which is good news for now.

He'll be 22 this summer, so it isn't like he's a teenager leaving home and going to a foreign country.
With what's happening in the KHL, it shouldn't be difficult to get him to come over, even if he plays in the AHL.
Give him the max rookie rate and 10% signing bonus ... not much else they can do with a $70k AHL max.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He'll be 22 this summer, so it isn't like he's a teenager leaving home and going to a foreign country.
With what's happening in the KHL, it shouldn't be difficult to get him to come over, even if he plays in the AHL.
Give him the max rookie rate and 10% signing bonus ... not much else they can do with a $70k AHL max.

I agree to a certain extent but plenty of players prefer the KHL over the AHL by far. He's been in the KHL for so long that the AHL is not likely an option for him. Some players actually prefer the KHL over the NHL despite some of the weird stuff that happens there. Just look at Gusev or even Shipachev.

I'm not saying he's not coming over but I would not be surprised if he has an outclause that if he doesn't make the Leafs, he can go back to the KHL at the very least.

Either way, I think he would have signed a new KHL contract by now if he didn't plan to come over.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I agree to a certain extent but plenty of players prefer the KHL over the AHL by far. He's been in the KHL for so long that the AHL is not likely an option for him. Some players actually prefer the KHL over the NHL despite some of the weird stuff that happens there. Just look at Gusev or even Shipachev.

I'm not saying he's not coming over but I would not be surprised if he has an outclause that if he doesn't make the Leafs, he can go back to the KHL at the very least.

Either way, I think he would have signed a new KHL contract by now if he didn't plan to come over.

Well, sure, if you play for SKA your guaranteed a big contract and a regular payday. Elsewhere in the KHL its a bit of a crapshoot with some teams not paying players for months, or not at all. At least in NA you actually are guaranteed of being paid no matter what team you play for. A one-way contract in NA is likely to be more attractive right now than 75% of he contracts in the KHL.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well, sure, if you play for SKA your guaranteed a big contract and a regular payday. Elsewhere in the KHL its a bit of a crapshoot with some teams not paying players for months, or not at all. At least in NA you actually are guaranteed of being paid no matter what team you play for. A one-way contract in NA is likely to be more attractive right now than 75% of he contracts in the KHL.

I agree but Lokomotiv are up there as well.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I agree but Lokomotiv are up there as well.

True, but not a lot of players in the KHL make over a million dollars (and most of those play for one team). And over the next few years the KHL is planning in reducing their cap even further over the next few years making it more and more attractive to risk a season or two in the AHL for the chance to play in the NHL with its ever rising cap. By 2020 some AHL teams may even have overall team salaries that are higher than some KHL teams (with a planned 10 million cap planned for the KHL come 2020) as they always include several one-way or buried contracts. As of now, a million dollar one way contract can be buried in the AHL at no cap cost. That's not a bad guaranteed income for a KHL player to earn going forwards given the economic state in Russia.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Timashov - Aaltonen- Moore
Brooks - Mueller - Smith
Greening - Gauthier - Baun
Marchment - Plouffe - Clune

Marincin - Holl
Rosen - Lindgren
Borgman - LoVerde

Sparks

Lindgren making his AHL debut

Status