Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Maple Leafs re-sign goalie Kaskisuo

The Maple Leafs have re-upped minor-league goalie Kasimir Kaskisuo.
On Tuesday, the club announced Toronto and Kaskisuo have agreed upon a two-year, two-way contract extension which will carry an average annual value of $675,000 at the NHL level.
The 24-year-old Finn — who was a restricted free agent — split the 2017-18 season between the Toronto Marlies and Chicago Wolves (loaned) of the AHL, as well as the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL.
Kaskisuo spent the bulk of the campaign with the Wolves, earning a 13-13 record and .914 save percentage in 28 games. In 38 career regular season AHL games, he has a 20-14-3 record and .924 SV%.
Kaskisuo joined the Leafs in March 2016. He signed a two-year entry-level deal after going undrafted in the NHL and playing two seasons at the University of Minnesota-Duluth.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd give Johnsson the Jarnkrok deal in a second.

I've been thinking about it for quite a while and it might be the right move. If he's in your top 9 that is great value at 2M per.

He's 24 years in November so he'll have job security until age 31-32 basically.

Reactions: nobody

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Are the Marlies flying to Texas for this series? If not, is there anything stopping them from taking advantage of MLSEs ability to afford to charter a jet to take them?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Are the Marlies flying to Texas for this series? If not, is there anything stopping them from taking advantage of MLSEs ability to afford to charter a jet to take them?
If the Marlies weren't the Marlies, they'd probably fly to Chicago. Then to Dallas. Then bus to Austin. But seeing as its MLSE, I'd bet they charter.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If the Marlies weren't the Marlies, they'd probably fly to Chicago. Then to Dallas. Then bus to Austin. But seeing as its MLSE, I'd bet they charter.

is there not direct flights (non chartered) to dallas? id say they do that then bus to Austin,

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

The Maple Leafs have re-upped minor-league goalie Kasimir Kaskisuo.
On Tuesday, the club announced Toronto and Kaskisuo have agreed upon a two-year, two-way contract extension which will carry an average annual value of $675,000 at the NHL level.
The 24-year-old Finn — who was a restricted free agent — split the 2017-18 season between the Toronto Marlies and Chicago Wolves (loaned) of the AHL, as well as the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL.
Kaskisuo spent the bulk of the campaign with the Wolves, earning a 13-13 record and .914 save percentage in 28 games. In 38 career regular season AHL games, he has a 20-14-3 record and .924 SV%.
Kaskisuo joined the Leafs in March 2016. He signed a two-year entry-level deal after going undrafted in the NHL and playing two seasons at the University of Minnesota-Duluth.

Looks like Sparks might be on the move, ahl goaltender of the year, Dubas trades him for a pick.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Looks like Sparks might be on the move, ahl goaltender of the year, Dubas trades him for a pick.

Not sure why it has to mean that. All it does is give flexibility. Leafs are at risk of losing one of Pickard, Mc, Sparks. No reason to commit to losing one. Just wait for the right opportunity to get value from one if that opportunity arises. Otherwise let them battle it out at camp and set up a trade if you just need to avoid using waivers.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
My reputation may have no value whatsoever, but I would stake all of it that Johnsson @ 3.5M x 8yrs is better analytical value over the life of the contract than Nylander @ 7M x 8yrs if each signs that deal today.

The goalie situation is a bit trickier. Pickard was decent on a historically bad team. I trust scouting opinion that suggests Sparks needs a sample size (at the next level). I also rather trust Dubas and co signing Kaskisuo. I wouldn't be surprised somehow if he turned into the NHL starter of the three. I still love that old story about Sparks layin on the couch eatin junk food when he was drafted though. Can't help pulling for the guy.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would guess this also applies to Bobylev?

I wonder if Mascherin is going anywhere before Florida loses him for nothing. At this point, even if it is to a rival, they should try to get something out of him.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I would guess this also applies to Bobylev?

I wonder if Mascherin is going anywhere before Florida loses him for nothing. At this point, even if it is to a rival, they should try to get something out of him.

I wouldn't be surprised if they draft him again just to keep the precedent that other prospects in his position have set. I guess it depends how much of the story about them not liking him, not the other way around, is true.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if they draft him again just to keep the precedent that other prospects in his position have set. I guess it depends how much of the story about them not liking him, not the other way around, is true.

But they only keep him for one more year, and what is stopping him from just staying in the OHL for his OA year and Florida being in the exact same position except Mascherin is a UFA who gets to pick where he wants to go? At best it just buys them more time to find a taker, but given they are not going to get more than a mid-late round pick or a B prospect like Nielsen (since he's not going to affect the Marlies squad like if we traded Gauthier, Moore, Brooks or Timashov), so they would just end up losing more assets than if they just let him go or traded him now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I would be shocked if any of them get re-drafted. Not much growth in any of their game.

Maybe you take a flyer with a late 7th round pick if your draft list is completely empty and dry... maybe... but then again, you probably should just take a blind swing on an 18 year old from a divison 2/3 league and hope he turns into something, like our O'Connell pick from last draft.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What's everyone's thoughts on Marchment? He's got a mean streak that's lacking on the Leafs roster.

Maybe not next season but the year after he could get serious consideration for the 4th line, ditto Trevor Moore. Moore surprised the hell out of me this year.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
What's everyone's thoughts on Marchment? He's got a mean streak that's lacking on the Leafs roster.

I like the approach that they took with him and it worked out well for both sides.

I believe that they saw something in him that would work, but he wasn't quite ready for the AHL and so they kept him with the Solar Bears for the 2016-17 season. You could see the difference in growth from his first training camp and the full year with the ECHL. His skating had improved a bit, although not near where it should be. He was making better decisions that wouldn't take him out of plays as much, but he was still playing the same game that made the Leafs like him. He was still physical and battling in front of the opponents net. I watched a bunch of his goals on Youtube and a lot of them have him scoring off a rebound within 7 feet of the goal. I also believe that his shot improved a bit too in terms of how much quicker he was getting the shot off.

His timeline is probably another full year with the Marlies and see where he's at.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Yeah those stats are meaningless since it's only throughout 8 games.

Mattinen is going back in the draft, and for good reason. Some of Hunter picks throughout the past two drafts have really perplexed me.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad