Proposed Coyotes Rebrand (concept) (NEW concept on page 15)

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
coyotes.png

Wait... wait.... I think this is getting there a little more...

Looks great, but just a little design must: The Triangles on the nose should there should be 4 of them, vs 3.

The 4 Triangles represent Four Peaks mountain, viewable from everyone in the valley almost.

It has had 4 since the original logo.

180583.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I like the colors. It seems a little busy to me. But I'm super plain and simple.

The Coyotes don't have a distinct color associated with them like the Flyers or even the Preds, so the logo has to be clean and distinctive. It has to look good on a jersey, on the ice on TV, and as a standalone logo.

Put that logo next to others from the past thirty years that had any sort of staying power and you'll see what I mean.

every-NHL-team-logo-by-year.jpg

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The reason that the Wings, Canadians, Blues and Blackhawks jerseys are iconic is because ownership resisted the temptation to screw around with them too much.

Just leave the uniforms alone. Our children will consider them iconic.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Simplifying to hopefully improve it... darker highlight has been completely removed for now.

Nose has been updated with a new nostril shape (still working on that) and also 4 triangles on the bridge again.

yotes-1.png

Don't think I mentioned this earlier, but the ear attempts to hide a "C" in there, ala the Atl Hawks current alternate hawk head logo on their shorts.

XX, you bring up a complicated argument, and I'm pretty sure I remember talking about this on the first few pages of this thread, haha, but it really comes down to the modern v. traditional debate, just looking at that screenshot you posted, the ones that have "staying power" as you call it are really all the traditional teams. The logos that I would deem "modern classics", such Wild, Capitals, and Blue Jackets, are all in a bit more of a contemporary style of design, a style that I would definitely say most of my logos have as well. That's just where sports logos are moving as a whole. And I think the Coyotes, as a newer brand in an atraditional market, and also as a team with a MAJOR need for a marketing boost, could stand for a modernization, at the very least, a few steps away from the ultra-traditional current brand.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would say, though, that I feel like Desert Ice 11's upturned eye detail makes it look less smiley, or happy, or whatever. The down turned eye detail on yours may be part of what gives it the feeling of a smile. Generally gregarious looking animal logos aren't received well.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I love looking through these concepts because I love seeing the creativity out there.

I personally would love to see something tried with the Arizona state flag colors. I know we're all supposed to be forever stuck on Sedona Red BECAUSE STATE BRANDING but really, this is the Copper State and our flag is one of the best in the entire nation.

As far as the Coyote head goes, I think it's too striking as is for it to change - at any rate, the owners don't seem to want to mess with it. Personally, I'd rather keep the logo we have to avoid a potential Buffaslug nightmare.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
State branding (can't say city, because God forbid I say Phoenix instead of Arizona) only works when there's at least 1 successful team with the branded colors. God knows that hasn't even been remotely the case, so they could do away with whole idea and I wouldn't even bat an eye. Sedona red is such a boring, plain color anyway.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'd just like to mention that the logos people are calling iconic have more to do with the teams existing for 5+ decades than it does the actual design of the logo itself. If the Coyotes were a 50 year old team their logo would be iconic as well.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Not sure if this belongs here or not but in case anyone was curious these will be the hats given to the new Coyotes prospects at the draft.
Note the AZ:

hwl

rt

May 13, 2004
I love looking through these concepts because I love seeing the creativity out there.

I personally would love to see something tried with the Arizona state flag colors. I know we're all supposed to be forever stuck on Sedona Red BECAUSE STATE BRANDING but really, this is the Copper State and our flag is one of the best in the entire nation.

As far as the Coyote head goes, I think it's too striking as is for it to change - at any rate, the owners don't seem to want to mess with it. Personally, I'd rather keep the logo we have to avoid a potential Buffaslug nightmare.

I agree with you. We are in the minority. Haha. :)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'd just like to mention that the logos people are calling iconic have more to do with the teams existing for 5+ decades than it does the actual design of the logo itself. If the Coyotes were a 50 year old team their logo would be iconic as well.

Not if the logo gets changed every decade. Philly doesn't have an iconic logo because they changed it around a lot. Glad they kept the colors straight. I don't mind a refresh, but if we go from coyote to cactus to rattle snake to lizard it cheapens the brand and nothing about the team will ever become iconic.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Not if the logo gets changed every decade. Philly doesn't have an iconic logo because they changed it around a lot. Glad they kept the colors straight. I don't mind a refresh, but if we go from coyote to cactus to rattle snake to lizard it cheapens the brand and nothing about the team will ever become iconic.

Flyers logo has remained unchanged over the years, just fyi

I must disagree with you rt, a howling coyote head is a really great representation of our brand and I can't imagine the team having a graphic identity without it. The moon logo is great but we aren't the Arizona Moons. Our name isn't abstract like Wild or Heat so we need a concrete mascot. Moon logos or cactus logos.... Even paw print logo... They can add a lot to the brand in terms of secondary support but can't quite stand alone as a primary crest

I love the flag like a couple people have said but I think the color scheme is too gaudy to work. It's just the 3 primary colors to come from an art perspective, it's hard to make them work for a sports team. That being said, motifs from the flag should absolutely be used. That's why I love our shoulder patch logo, it incorporates the sunburst without being over the top

Florida panthers do use the scheme but the navy instead of the royal blue. Not one of my favorite color schemes overall however

rt

May 13, 2004
Flyers logo has remained unchanged over the years, just fyi

I must disagree with you rt, a howling coyote head is a really great representation of our brand and I can't imagine the team having a graphic identity without it. The moon logo is great but we aren't the Arizona Moons. Our name isn't abstract like Wild or Heat so we need a concrete mascot. Moon logos or cactus logos.... Even paw print logo... They can add a lot to the brand in terms of secondary support but can't quite stand alone as a primary crest

I love the flag like a couple people have said but I think the color scheme is too gaudy to work. It's just the 3 primary colors to come from an art perspective, it's hard to make them work for a sports team. That being said, motifs from the flag should absolutely be used. That's why I love our shoulder patch logo, it incorporates the sunburst without being over the top

Florida panthers do use the scheme but the navy instead of the royal blue. Not one of my favorite color schemes overall however

It can have a coyote in it, but I don't think it needs to be a coyote head.

Imagine these were more professionally done, and stronger logos, all-around. Just the basic IDEA of them I like..

0411-brandonmanzione-phx.png

ChristianLegault-ARZ3rd.png

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I kinda like the green in the left one but I could really live without the video game looking demon coyote.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

That's not the case. They come from a simpler time, where gradients and all manner of crap like that wasn't trendy. Those logos look good because they haven't changed because they haven't needed to.

Yes, they're iconic. We can identify with them because they come from iconic teams. But they are not that way simply because they are old. Recent teams like Columbus, Colorado, and Carolina have far superior logos.

Having a restrained color palette for the jerseys and an overall clean look puts a lot of emphasis on the crest and it just doesn't cut it.

Or at least make it look mean. Haha.

I would love a return to the use of crimson and cactus green. It's a shame so many teams use black nowadays, though. Perhaps a reason to go with something a little more unique?

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
At first I was like "Ah that' cool" to the black and green on the left..but the more I looked at it and imagined it on the ice the more I thought it was ugly.

Found this on google..not sure if posted on here

PHXCoyotes-JustinCox.png

And Another one off Google

PHX-Third.png

I like this on a lot but wish cyborg coyotes head was bigger.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad