Proposed Coyotes Rebrand (concept) (NEW concept on page 15)

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
This is the best piece of Coyotes news I've heard since they bought the team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is the best piece of Coyotes news I've heard since they bought the team.

I've never taken you for the naive type, Pho. I need you to flip your skepticism switch right back to the ON position. They want to engage fans. They are enlisting focus groups.

We both know what focus groups do to products. They are why everything sucks, and you can't buy anything that's just simple and decent. It's why if you want to buy an ice tea from the cold case at a convenience store it's going to contain and diabetic coma inducing amount of sugar. What normal human being makes ice tea at home and puts sixty grams of sugar per twelve ounces in it? Nobody. Put a bunch of fat, unemployed, stupid people into a focus group, and that's what manufacturers think normal people want.

Now this focus group will be different. It will be people who can afford season tickets, which makes the assumption that they've made it somewhere in life, a safe one. Usually folks make it somewhere in life by having a brain. So that's somewhat reassuring. However, they're probably going to cherry-pick this demographic, and try to scale it down to the target group.

I'm expecting an EXTREME! BlaZZZT of EXXXTREME! Hard. Core. Hockey!!!!!

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I mean you're definitely right about focus groups in general, but the good thing here, is that there is literally zero chance that anything they come up with actually manages to be worse then Pierre the Hockey Snowman, "Don't Blink or You'll Miss it", or any other garbage marketing campaign we've had to endure from the time that Ellman bought the team up until "Hockey the Hard Way".

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
My last job was at a university, and my current job is at a non-profit. I share your disdain for the focus group approach.

So far, though, I've liked this ownership group's relatively brash approach, and so I think starting with a focus group will help them find an aesthetic that makes waves, rather than just something that doesn't offend anybody. That gives me a bit of hope.

And Leblanc is a marketing guy. That makes me apprehensive about a lot of things, but jerseys aren't one of them. I expect it will be an expansion of the "hungrier than ever" slogan that has dominated their branding this year. The whole campaign definitely feels a little canned (although maybe just because I [begrudgingly] work in marketing now), but it's got an edge to it that, while completely contrived, makes me think the new logo and uniform won't be so pedestrian.

Mostly I just don't see how it could be worse.

I'm definitely not expecting something as transgressive as the first sweaters, but even if they take the same as-bland-as-possible approach as the last attempt, I feel confident they'll do a better job.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The original six jerseys and some of the better done expansion teams should be the only focus group they need.

People don't know what they like, which is why focus groups are generally terrible.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
homer_15.jpg

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Love the Peteroboro jerseys. Only knocks against it are the arm stripes, which are just unnecessary. Put an "AZ" state silhouette logo on one shoulder, the state flag of the other (like what CAL does) and I'll be standing in line on release day.
bleh. Howling head doesn't look good or great on anything. Just meh, all the way round. That damn orientation.
I love the orientation.

Nashville Predator and Medicine Hat Tiger are snarling sideways ... Florida Panther and Moncton Wildcat are leaping forward ... San Jose Shark is biting kinda downward ... the Idaho Steelhead (ECHL) is the only logo I know of that's looking upward at any significant angle, and they don't count because a steelhead is just a stupid fish.

Our howling coyote head is kinda annoying to wear when you're sitting in a chair, but wearing it on the ice / looking at it, it's amazing.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
bleh. Howling head doesn't look good or great on anything. Just meh, all the way round. That damn orientation.

I'm not a fan of the howling head either. It's probably the single-most unsymmetrical logo of all 122 North American pro sports teams.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Our howling coyote head is kinda annoying to wear when you're sitting in a chair, but wearing it on the ice / looking at it, it's amazing.

It's asymmetrical. There's not even implied symmetry like the Wild or Predators. It's terrible. It looks good on a jacket or as a letterhead but not on a jersey. It should be an alternate.

I'd take the paw, moon, or AZ patch over the Coyote head without even thinking twice. I'd copy paste the Five for Howling logo if I had to.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
It's asymmetrical. There's not even implied symmetry like the Wild or Predators. It's terrible. It looks good on a jacket or as a letterhead but not on a jersey. It should be an alternate.

I'd take the paw, moon, or AZ patch over the Coyote head without even thinking twice. I'd copy paste the Five for Howling logo if I had to.
All 3 are amazing shoulder patches. But a moon makes no sense and our AZ state silhouette patch (I know I've used this phrase before) looks like something the state Tourism Board would put out.

I like the actual coyote head on 5FH, but the round / circle part sucks.

Symmetry is overrated. NJD, DET, CHI and ATL are awesome without being symmetrical. BOS and NYR are lucky that they are "classic" logos, because they'd be called bland if they were designed today, especially BOS. Every LAK logo -- the current "LA" badge, the Chevrolet-looking one that TGO wore -- has been symmetrical and boring.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Some more news on the Coyotes jerseys....article discusses the retro's being worn for at least 1 game, and possibly taking the place of the third jersey, which is going to be phased out:

http://nesn.com/2014/04/phoenix-coyotes-to-bring-back-retro-jerseys-become-arizona-coyotes-photo/

But a little more puzzling is the mention that ownership likes the logo, so what does that mean for a uniform change?
Personally, I love the Coyotes jersey the way it is - simple. Logo is perfect, and the colour scheme works.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Some more news on the Coyotes jerseys....article discusses the retro's being worn for at least 1 game, and possibly taking the place of the third jersey, which is going to be phased out:

http://nesn.com/2014/04/phoenix-coyotes-to-bring-back-retro-jerseys-become-arizona-coyotes-photo/

But a little more puzzling is the mention that ownership likes the logo, so what does that mean for a uniform change?
Personally, I love the Coyotes jersey the way it is - simple. Logo is perfect, and the colour scheme works.

I'm with you. I love our current logo, and I think our jerseys and color scheme are the perfect medium. Nothing too flashy, not deathly boring either. I'm honestly dreading a uniform overhaul. In today's NHL it's all about piping and weirdly shaped/colored patches in random places.

If we can shy away from the Ottawa/Buffalo templates and aim for the Chicago/Detroit/Toronto designs, I would be content.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad