2. Morrissey
3. Helly
4. Petan

Pretty similar list really.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
My dislike of ESPN is rivaled by my belief that apron man (nope, not fixing that auto correct) is actually good at this stuff.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Warning: paywall.

Pronman's top 100 NHL prospects
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11323131/top-100-prospects-1-50-nhl?refresh=true
Jets at:
6. Ehlers
18. Morrissey
24. Petan

New feature: Pronman's top 10 goalies
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/stor...d=InsiderTwitter_PRONMAN_TOP10GOALIEPROSPECTS
7. Hellebuyck
HM (13). Comrie

Really good write ups on the players too, but I don't believe I can post that info due to paywall, etc.

I believe you can quote if it's "fair use" - for criticism, comment or scholarly use. As long as you're not profiting from it, don't quote too much and it doesn't damage the value of the piece. If you repost the whole thing for free here, then you're infringing on the copyright. But if you quote a few lines from the Ehlers, Morrissey, Petan and Hellebuyck paragraphs you're probably okay.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I believe you can quote if it's "fair use" - for criticism, comment or scholarly use. As long as you're not profiting from it, don't quote too much and it doesn't damage the value of the piece. If you repost the whole thing for free here, then you're infringing on the copyright. But if you quote a few lines from the Ehlers, Morrissey, Petan and Hellebuyck paragraphs you're probably okay.

As a journalist, I approve this.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
In that case:

Ehlers had one of the top 17-year-old seasons by a CHL import that I can remember. For a newcomer to the North American game, he took very little time to adjust and dominated the QMJHL. Ehlers may be a small winger, but due to his incredible speed, skill and hockey sense, he creates offense in bunches. His offensive potential is at a star level.
I agree and don't really have any qualms with Drouin, Ekblad, Bennett, Nylander, and S Reinhart ahead of Ehlers, although I'm confused how Reinhart is closest and that order...

Morrissey was one of the top defensemen in the WHL this season and had a nice run of performance during a pro tryout in the AHL playoffs. He's an exciting player whose value is tilted toward the offensive side due to his high-caliber skating and offensive instincts. Morrissey can be dynamic when controlling the puck with the man advantage.
Defensemen ahead of Morrissey are Ekblad (duh), Fleury (meh), Gormley (window is starting to close on this guy but he has real potential). Again no major qualms, although I wouldn't be surprised if Morrissey ends up 2nd best of the 4. Way ahead of 29th ranked Pouliot the "WHL AllStar".

Petan has lit the WHL on fire the past two seasons as one of junior hockey's most dangerous scorers. He led the WHL in assists the past two seasons, and tied for the lead in points in 2012-13. Petan's ability to create scoring chance has led to many highlight-reel moments for Portland, as he's anchored an elite offense. He has grown into a top-end prospect.
Higher than 26th ranked Virtanen, 27th ranked Max Domi, 33rd Anthony Mantha, 57th Brett Ritchie (just to pick some that are highly thought of on this board). Looks like Pronman believes Petan is 1st round talent.

Connor "Raising" Hellebuyck has put up spectacular numbers, following up a .952 save percentage in 2012-13 with a .941 in 2013-14. The 6-4 goaltender is an extremely smart player who plays his angles at a high level and seems to need very little movement in net in order to square up every shot. Hellebuyck isn't a dynamic reflex goalie, but he battles well and knows how to make the most of his big frame in positioning.
Typical "big-blocking" goalie review on Hellebuyck. WTF is with JustWinz on 5th rated... sigh.

Last edited:

RaakaArska

Jul 14, 2014
But what about Lowry! Thought he was our second best prospect:sarcasm:

REALLY high on Ehlers aswell. And I might not be the only one around here

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
But what about Lowry! Thought he was our second best prospect:sarcasm:

REALLY high on Ehlers aswell. And I might not be the only one around here

RE: Lowry and his ranking here - everyone chooses different rankings based on different criteria: NHL readiness, ceiling, the helmet they wear, etc. Not surprising that some may look at Lowry as being 'close', and fulfilling a particular need in the line-up, thus pushing his ranking up.

Regarding Ehlers, go take a look at the post-draft selection thread on him:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1697765

95% 'approval' rating for that selection, which is pretty much unheard of around these parts. :laugh:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Defensemen ahead of Morrissey are Ekblad (duh), Fleury (meh), Gormley (window is starting to close on this guy but he has real potential). Again no major qualms, although I wouldn't be surprised if Morrissey ends up 2nd best of the 4. Way ahead of 29th ranked Pouliot the "WHL AllStar".

TBH, I was impressed by Fleurys game in the WJC exhibition camp.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Lowry was ranked 7th in our latest poll on these boards. From the time he was drafted we have had 6 players rank ahead of him. 4 of them are on this list which is pretty good IMO

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Another interesting note, no Jets prospects from 25 (after Petan) all the way to 113 (there are 13 honourable mentions)....

Four names out of 120+ on the lists puts the Jets at average in that regard.

I like a lot if the kids that are in the system, but outside of a few at the top there isn't much high end nor certainty. :s

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

I like a lot if the kids that are in the system, but outside of a few at the top there isn't much high end nor certainty. :s

average in number but well above average in ranking right?

if you exclude goalies as that seems to be a seperate list (right?) there's how many? 100 prospects, that works out to about 3 a team (with an above average team having 4).

30 teams would make an average team having prospects at like 15, 45, 75
where we sit at 6(+9) 18 (+27) and 24 (+51).

for an average rank of 45.

our average rank is 16 comparatively.

mean our prospects break out an average of +29 spots from an "average" selection would be assuming an equal distribution of prospect talent across 30 teams.

I'm doing weird math here and there's got to be a better way, but this, including having one goalie in the top 10 would put us int he top 1/3rd of all teams in that regard and having an HM included would probably push us even higher, would have to put us pretty damn high in terms of quality ranking.

I don't have a membership so i don't know what the other teams lists breakdown as but there can't be many teams with 4 players in the top 30?

Last edited:

peg

Jul 8, 2010

That is a pretty negative spin. Our guys being near the top of the list are elite talent. High probability of two - top 6 forwards, one - top 4 defence, and one - starting goalie. That puts our prospects head and shoulders above most other teams (in my very humble opinion).

Whileee

May 29, 2010

if there's over 120 players, you break that down into blocks of 30, "average" would be like 15, 45, 75, 105 no ?

having 4 in the top 30 has got to have us in the upper echelon as far as net quality goes wouldn't it?

I don't have a membership so i don't know what the other teams lists breakdown as but there can't be many teams with 4 players in the top 30?

According to Pronman, the top end of the Jets prospect pool is way above the NHL average, with three skaters in the top 30 ("average" would 1), and a goalie in the top 10.

Once you get past the top 50 or so it's probably a bit of a crapshoot in terms of prospect potential anyway.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I like the prospects list because it gives you a good idea of what's coming down the pipe, but I also would love to see Pronman also do a corresponding "top 100 under 23/25" list.

The latter would be a nice indication of where a team is at from a youth perspective irregardless of games played.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
The org Top-10's are coming next week I believe and he usually does an Under-23 I think along with his regular prospects list.

So that one should be interesting to see / read his comments on.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
That is a pretty negative spin. Our guys being near the top of the list are elite talent. High probability of two - top 6 forwards, one - top 4 defence, and one - starting goalie. That puts our prospects head and shoulders above most other teams (in my very humble opinion).

It isn't a spin. The top end is top end and then there is a big drop off.

Quality? Yes.
Quantity? Maybe not so much and I don't think that is unreasonable.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

if you exclude goalies as that seems to be a seperate list (right?) there's how many? 100 prospects, that works out to about 3 a team (with an above average team having 4).

30 teams would make an average team having prospects at like 15, 45, 75
where we sit at 6(+9) 18 (+27) and 24 (+51).

for an average rank of 45.

our average rank is 16 comparatively.

mean our prospects break out an average of +29 spots from an "average" selection would be assuming an equal distribution of prospect talent across 30 teams.

I'm doing weird math here and there's got to be a better way, but this, including having one goalie in the top 10 would put us int he top 1/3rd of all teams in that regard and having an HM included would probably push us even higher, would have to put us pretty damn high in terms of quality ranking.

There aren't, but there are teams with more than four players on the list. There are also teams with less.

Again, I like a lot of the kids on the Jets prospect pool, but I don't see a ton of top 6 / top 4 D potential beyond the skaters listed here.

RaakaArska

Jul 14, 2014
RE: Lowry and his ranking here - everyone chooses different rankings based on different criteria: NHL readiness, ceiling, the helmet they wear, etc. Not surprising that some may look at Lowry as being 'close', and fulfilling a particular need in the line-up, thus pushing his ranking up.

Regarding Ehlers, go take a look at the post-draft selection thread on him:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1697765

95% 'approval' rating for that selection, which is pretty much unheard of around these parts. :laugh:

I referred to the nhl.com top 10 Jets' prospects rankings in which Lowry was ranked second :laugh: I got nothing against him and I hope he would make an impact during TC. But ranking him as our #2 prospect is just not right.

Yeah still impressed that we got Ehlers with #9 pick. At this point it seems like an absolute steal.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I referred to the nhl.com top 10 Jets' prospects rankings in which Lowry was ranked second :laugh: I got nothing against him and I hope he would make an impact during TC. But ranking him as our #2 prospect is just not right.

Yeah still impressed that we got Ehlers with #9 pick. At this point it seems like an absolute steal.

Still remember the adrenaline after Vancouver took Virtanen.. :laugh:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
In that case:

I agree and don't really have any qualms with Drouin, Ekblad, Bennett, Nylander, and S Reinhart ahead of Ehlers, although I'm confused how Reinhart is closest and that order...

Higher than 26th ranked Virtanen, 27th ranked Max Domi, 33rd Anthony Mantha, 57th Brett Ritchie (just to pick some that are highly thought of on this board). Looks like Pronman believes Petan is 1st round talent.

Typical "big-blocking" goalie review on Hellebuyck. WTF is with JustWinz on 5th rated... sigh.

I've almost given up on that. I'll just lean back and not be the slightest bit surprised when he ends up as a "bust".

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There aren't, but there are teams with more than four players on the list. There are also teams with less.

Again, I like a lot of the kids on the Jets prospect pool, but I don't see a ton of top 6 / top 4 D potential beyond the skaters listed here.

I think that in fairness Trouba and Scheifele need to be added into the list, since many prospect lists (especially on D) have players that are 2-3 years older. Trouba and Scheifele made a significant jump to the NHL and played very well in their draft+2 and draft+3 years. Add them to Pronman's and you have 3 high level forwards and 2 high level D. I'm not sure that Petan can transition to a top-6 role in the NHL, but Trouba and Morrissey are definitely in that realm. That means that the Jets have added at least two top-6 forwards and two top-4 D in the last 4 drafts. If either Hellebuyck or Comrie become a starting goalie, that adds to the list. If at least one of the remaining players on their list make a jump (Glover on D? Petan or Kosmachuk at F?) to a top role, things are looking quite positive.

I also think that they have four players that have very high end potential - Ehlers, Scheifele, Trouba and Morrissey. Basically, the Jets look to have hit the nail on the head with four straight 1st round picks, all in the 7-13 draft range.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: