News Article: Pronman has Rangers org ranked #1

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
NJ is also in an same spot as us where they’re pool is about to improve significantly in the next month

They’re not picking a player as good as Lafreniere obviously but they do have 3 picks in the top 20 in what is considered a good draft

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
NJ has been the worst drafting team for a long time. It's laughable they are in the top 5. I wouldn't have Smith rated in the top 50 as a prospect. He's shown nothing to deserve a top 50 ranking. Their role player prospects either have done nothing or have proven nothing. A guy like Howden who our fan base and myself is tough on has done more than pretty much almost every Devils role type prospect. My guess is the Devils who are also terrible at developing prospects will ruin the few of the best prospects they have. Mostly for two reasons. One, they can't attract good FA's to help them develop. Two, the good vets they had they traded away. I wasn't a big Hall fan but when you have two young centers with high offensive upside, trading him without getting a good vet back was moronic. The way I see it is the Devils are intentionally trying to tank for another 3-4 years. They appear as they are making no effort to put a respectable team on the ice.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It looks like they've got several other "hits" though.

People are creaming themselves over Nils, Shesty was a mid rounder, Barron was a late pick (though he probably tops out as a bottom six player who may get some PP time), Miller who was last year's Nils, Jones, Robertson, etc. Painting Kravtsov in the same light as "the nobody" (who really isn't one, but thats beyond the point) is unfair, and hes off of a strong start this year, albeit in 3 games.

Chytil has become the forgotten dude but he's got loads of potential as well in addition to already being a regular. The Lias pick sucked, the Lindbolm pick was even worse, but lets not act like every pick has been bad. Thats just a meme that needs to be laid to rest.
I still think skinner will be a solid 5-6 defender in the NHL even though he’s not as highly touted as the others. I like the nasty in his game. And he’s got a good head on his shoulders. Another late pick

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I get where you're coming from but I still think your cut off point is way too high. There will be exceptions but onset of the "middle age" or when the prospects finally come into their own starts before 25. There is no perfect system but I'm fine with using 22 or 23 for the purposes of evaluating prospect pools and youth that hasn't fully realized yet.
I think I have suggested in the past 24 as a cut-off. I'm fine with that. Anything younger, I still think is too speculative.

If the purpose is too be speculative and really just rank prospects, 22-23 is fine. If it's an "organizational ranking of young talent" like what Pronman is doing (theoretically including players who are 26), I think you need to be at least looking at 24.

Anyway, I guess it just depends on what you want to look at or emphasize.

Reactions: kovazub94

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've always found a "young talent" ranking to be more accurate than a prospect ranking.

There are a lot of guys who don't qualify as prospects, but who really still are. Personally, I've used 25 and under as my internal barometer for a long time.

Partially because I see a lot of younger players "put it together" at 23 and 24, and partially because when I was younger I mistakenly thought the NHL ROY limit was 25 and not 26.

Last edited:

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020
It's crazy how we're in the top 4 even before this years draft AND to add on top of that the obvious incoming pick but Lafrenière aside...we need to treat this draft as if Lafrenière wasnt an option for us.
Cant just draft 1st and then go on autopilot

They have a chance to really fortify an already existing good prospect pool.
If done correctly Hartford can be really good in the not too distant future which in IMO is crucial to future success of the Rangere.
Yes it's good to get talent that goes straight to the big club but Players marinating in Hartford is important too. I'm very happy Miller and Robertson are gonna be there when the A opens.

And I'd feel more confident if I knew JD had a more dominant voice in the room over Clarke. I hope they just listen to him out of courtesy.
Aside from Laf...they need to switch up their philosophy a bit.

They're watching the playoffs. They can see the types of players that give your team the best chance to battle.
Go after those players.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wonder how much of it is the Devils really lacking high end depth as people here say and how much we just don't like the Devils

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I wonder how much of it is the Devils really lacking high end depth as people here say and how much we just don't like the Devils

well i'm going to assume their top 2 will be Hughes and Hischier. I don't like how they stack up against Pettersson and Hughes, for example. And then the prospect depth afterwards. Ty Smith is alright i guess. Nolan Foote? How does he stack up against Podkolzin, Hoglander, etc.

They can be top 5 simply because they have 2 #1 picks under the age of 23 but top 2 is too far.

And I don't even like Vancouver and think Pettersson and especially Hughes are a slightly overhyped.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
well i'm going to assume their top 2 will be Hughes and Hischier. I don't like how they stack up against Pettersson and Hughes, for example. And then the prospect depth afterwards. Ty Smith is alright i guess. Nolan Foote? How does he stack up against Podkolzin, Hoglander, etc.

They can be top 5 simply because they have 2 #1 picks under the age of 23 but top 2 is too far.

I suspect Pronman still thinks extremely highly of Hughes

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I suspect Pronman still thinks extremely highly of Hughes
Sure but he's shown that having actually NHL performance matters the most, which is the only reason he put Toronto in the top 4, or so he claims. Another reason why I think we're overrated, too. Only one we have that has truly performed at an elite level is Fox. Kakko, Chytil, Lundkvist etc are all projection.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I went back and looked through the 2010 playoffs at the Conference finalists each year and looked at each teams top 5 scorers for that season and their ages. Out of the 44 teams only 5 had at least 3 players in there top five scorers that were younger than 25 years old. Three of those five teams (TB, BOS, CHI) continued to have success as those young guys migrated to the above 25 year old crowd.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

And I don't even like Vancouver and think Pettersson and especially Hughes are a slightly overhyped.

Not well.

Ty Smith is a good prospect. Overhyped to hell by Devil fans who think hes a future top pairing guy but he'll find a home on their 2nd pair and do well there.

I don't think the Rangers should be top 2 either, but they're for sure top 4 or 5. Devils at this point shouldn't even be top 10.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Hischier
Hughes - Kakko
Bratt - Chytil
Smith - Miller
Foote- Kravtsov (closest i could get cause neither have played NHL hockey)
Fox

*Idk Ranger comparables for Boqvist, Bahl, Misyul, Ohkotyuk, etc.. sorry (other notable 2nd round picks for NJ)

After that you have a slew of 2nd and 3rd round picks Shero stacked up and the Rangers drafted slightly less times in the top-100 over the last 2-3 seasons if I remember correctly

I believe this is why NJ edges out #1 and once the draft goes through itll be mightily even - Lafreniere another 1st to match with Hischier and then the Devils have two more 1sts (likely trade one) as well as the Rangers having one more.

All I know is the battle for Miss Liberty will be heated once again and for a LONG time!

Last edited by a moderator:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Hischier
Hughes - Kakko
Bratt - Chytil
Smith - Miller
Foote- Kravtsov (closest i could get cause neither have played NHL hockey)

*Idk Ranger comparables for Boqvist, Bahl, Misyul, Ohkotyuk, etc.. sorry (other notable 2nd round picks for NJ)

After that you have a slew of 2nd and 3rd round picks Shero stacked up and the Rangers drafted slightly less times in the top-100 over the last 2-3 seasons if I remember correctly

I believe this is why NJ edges out #1 and once the draft goes through itll be mightily even - Lafreniere another 1st to match with Hischier and then the Devils have two more 1sts (likely trade one) as well as the Rangers having one more.

All I know is the battle for Miss Liberty will be heated once again and for a LONG time!
you're forgetting about Fox. He's a big reason why we're so high. Also Lundkvist is better than Miller.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I didn't renew my Athletic subscription this year but I feel like Pronman had the Devils pretty high last year in large part due to their prospect depth. Not so much the high-end talent in the mix but just the sheer number of "good" guys they had in the pipeline.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I didn't renew my Athletic subscription this year but I feel like Pronman had the Devils pretty high last year in large part due to their prospect depth. Not so much the high-end talent in the mix but just the sheer number of "good" guys they had in the pipeline.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'd take Vancouver's top 2 and probably top 4 over NJ's, but NJ's is just a lot deeper.

Reactions: Trxjw

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Devils will get their shiny rank but I have zero faith in them actually developing their prospects

that team has been a drafting/development wasteland for about 15 years now. Some of their first round picks even recently are laughable. Zacha at 6, McCleod at 12, Matteau/Quenneville are busts. Even Hischier looks closer to the 5th best player in the draft as opposed to the best (not saying he’s a bad pick, he was the obvious pick, just goes to show their luck with drafting as of late). Their best draft picks outside of the 1st overalls over the last few years are Jesper Bratt and MacKenzie Blackwood.

The Rangers haven’t been world beaters or anything pre 2017 but the Devils make us look like the Lightning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad