Projecting Seasons for Auston Matthews, William Nylander, and Mitch Marner

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Matthews: 45 goals, 45 assists, 90 points.
Nylander: 35 goals, 40 assists, 75 points.
Marner: 20 goals: 50 assists, 70 points.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Matthews: 42 goals, 44 assists, 86 points.
Nylander: 37 goals, 39 assists, 76 points.
Marner: 24 goals: 51 assists, 75 points

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Matthews 80 points- approximately 40-40
Nylander 72 points- 30+ goals
Marner 65 points- small bump from last year

Marner is dazzling with the puck but he doesn't have a very good shot like Matthews & Nylander. Teams started to catch on to that last year and I wouldn't be surprised if he regressed a bit (unless his shot has vastly improved) but he's always proven me wrong in the past so we'll see.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Matthews 80 points- approximately 40-40
Nylander 72 points- 30+ goals
Marner 65 points- small bump from last year

Marner is dazzling with the puck but he doesn't have a very good shot like Matthews & Nylander. Teams started to catch on to that last year and I wouldn't be surprised if he regressed a bit (unless his shot has vastly improved) but he's always proven me wrong in the past so we'll see.

I agree with this, I hope he spent the entire summer doing shot related training. Like taking shots and working out muscles that help strengthen a shot. He hasn't shown he has so far in the preseason but maybe he is hiding his new weapon for when it matters. But yeah toward the end of last year they allowed him a shot and stopped the pass that took away even more from his shot because it was the only option he had which meant no element of surprise

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Matthews will have less goals and more assists but still hit 80+
Marner will have less less and less assists but still hit 60+
Nylander will have more goals and no assists 30+

j/k

Nylander will go ~30 / 40...

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Good reasoning in the article, and I mostly agree with your predictions on Marner and Nylander. But once again, as difficult as it is to comprehend for us Leafs fans . . . I think we're actually selling Matthews SHORT.

It is really funny, how almost everyone predicting Matthews' goal totals has him mostly getting less, a few predicting around the same. It's highly unusual, as a phenomenon, to see a superstar rookie season followed up by fans predicting mostly lower goal totals, but that's what has happened. And it's not like his play or points progression or play or ANYTHING tells us that it should dip! I blame the psychology of being a beaten down Leaf fan.

My prediction . . .
Matthews: 52 goals, 41 assists, 93 pts.
Nylander: 26 goals, 48 assists, 74 pts.
Marner: 28 goals, 51 assists, 79 pts.

Obviously that's without injuries.

Good luck boys, my bar is high - and that's all because you blew all of our expectations out of the water!
Now before you critique my predictions as "out of this world" . . . look up the old threads, or if you can't do that because of this blasted new look migration thing, remember your chats before last season:
Did even one person predict Matthews getting . . . 35 goals?
nope.
Did even one optimist out there predict Marner playing the full season and getting 60+ points?
maybe a couple.
Did anyone think Nylander was going to get 60 pts?
I think just a few.

That's where we were at last year . . . and now this year, you guys want to soft-c***k it in the predictions category again for Matthews goal totals? Really?

I mean, obviously, I could be wrong . . . but . . . have you seen how ready, how better, Auston looks this year?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think Matthews will be the greatest goal scorer in the modern day NHL. He'll be a better goal scorer than Ovechkin, Crosby, and McDavid.

I think he'll hit 60 goals at some point within the next 5 years as long as Hyman isn't super-glued to him that whole time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think folksnhave been selling Nylander a bit short.

He's had he mos toro experience outnof snybof the Leafs rookies and still has sky high talent levels.

I think a 70+ point season is well within his grasp this year, especially playing alongside Matthews.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
My Predictions:

Matthews - 52 goals - 30 assists - 82 points
Nylander - 27 goals - 42 assists - 69 points
Marner - 20 goals - 48 assists - 68 points

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
^^

Wow Marner's goal on the PP against DET looked like a rocket. Looks like he's been working on it. Figures it would happen the day after my post above criticizing his shot

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Matthews - 42G 40A 82P
Nylander - 30G 47A 77P
Marner - 28G 42A 67P

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
At the end of last season I predicted 86 points for Matthews (38 goals, 48 assists). I still think that will be his point total, but after seeing him in the preseason, I feel that score 40(+) again.

So (assuming 80+ games played):
Matthews: 42 goals, 44 assists, 86 points.
Nylander: 33 goals, 42 assists, 75 points.
Marner: 28 goals, 39 assists, 67 points.

(Marner being behind simply reflects how dominant Matthews and Nylander are together).

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Mix them all up so they get put in the worst possible chances to succeed.... and hope to save 2 million each on their next contracts :)

Problem is I tried to do this... and it's almost impossible to put them on lines that they wouldn't be able to succeed on.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
My guesstimates based on some crazy mad science

Matthews Goals: 54, Assists 40, Points 94
Nylander Goals: 36, Assists 53, Points 89
Marner Goals: 28, Assists: 59, Points 87

Reactions: supermann_98

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Good reasoning in the article, and I mostly agree with your predictions on Marner and Nylander. But once again, as difficult as it is to comprehend for us Leafs fans . . . I think we're actually selling Matthews SHORT.

It is really funny, how almost everyone predicting Matthews' goal totals has him mostly getting less, a few predicting around the same. It's highly unusual, as a phenomenon, to see a superstar rookie season followed up by fans predicting mostly lower goal totals, but that's what has happened. And it's not like his play or points progression or play or ANYTHING tells us that it should dip! I blame the psychology of being a beaten down Leaf fan.

My prediction . . .
Matthews: 52 goals, 41 assists, 93 pts.
Nylander: 26 goals, 48 assists, 74 pts.
Marner: 28 goals, 51 assists, 79 pts.

Obviously that's without injuries.

Good luck boys, my bar is high - and that's all because you blew all of our expectations out of the water!
Now before you critique my predictions as "out of this world" . . . look up the old threads, or if you can't do that because of this blasted new look migration thing, remember your chats before last season:
Did even one person predict Matthews getting . . . 35 goals?
nope.
Did even one optimist out there predict Marner playing the full season and getting 60+ points?
maybe a couple.
Did anyone think Nylander was going to get 60 pts?
I think just a few.

That's where we were at last year . . . and now this year, you guys want to soft-c***k it in the predictions category again for Matthews goal totals? Really?

I mean, obviously, I could be wrong . . . but . . . have you seen how ready, how better, Auston looks this year?

Loser mentality is still infecting this board. I think lots of fans still can't comprehend the enormous talent levels of our young kids. Still under the belief that the Leafs can't have nice things.

And you're 100% correct, nobody predicted the kind of season Matthews had. If you would have told the main board leafs haters that Matthews was going to score 40 and lead the league in EV goals, they'd have told you to go back to the mental asylum.

Matthews pre-draft pedigree was a funny one. He broke Kane's point record in the USDP. When he went to Switzerland, he topped a ton of NHL stars' numbers from when they played their during the lockout. This was all coming off of the 2015 mega-draft which injected super-hyped stars like McDavid/Eichel. People couldn't comprehend that more were on the way (Matthews/Laine).

I'm also betting super-high on Matthews. I think he breaks 50 goals too.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
willly willy willy

is so good so good so good

By the end of the year he will forge himself as the best player of the 2014 draft. Draisaitl is nice and all but Nylander has a skill level that he can only dream of.

Reactions: RCS and zeke

Mar 26, 2010
By the end of the year he will forge himself as the best player of the 2014 draft. Draisaitl is nice and all but Nylander has a skill level that he can only dream of.
Agree 100%. Willy is scary good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad