Projecting Seasons for Auston Matthews, William Nylander, and Mitch Marner

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think Marleau is going to be Kadri's wing - he might see PP time with Matthews. Babcock is going to keep Matthews, Nylander, Hyman line intact at least for the time being

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
if nylander and Matthews play together all season and Nylander doesn't start with a low shooting% I think both totals could be quite a bit higher. And marner well he is just good and could be higher too. I think these are conservative totals but pretty close

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Marner remains with JVR and Bozak and gets 2nd PP time I would expect Matthews and Nylander to outscore him m by a good margin.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
If Marner remains with JVR and Bozak and gets 2nd PP time I would expect Matthews and Nylander to outscore him m by a good margin.

???The kid(Marner) still put up 61 points in 77 games. If you consider that he should improve a bit on his numbers, I really don't know how much more points Matthews and Nylander can get. Unless you are expecting both Matthews and Nylander to get to 80 or 90 point mark. This would mean they would be competing for the scoring title. I really don't expect any of our kids to get that much more points this season than they did last. Every team in the league is now going to be putting out their best against Matthews & Nylander so I'm not expecting much bigger numbers 5 on 5 and their PP was really hot last year which will be hard to continue this year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My prediction is that one of the 3 has a season statistically lower than last year.

It could be injury related, sophomore slump or simply teams being more prepared this year against Leafs with less backup goalies to score against.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
???The kid(Marner) still put up 61 points in 77 games. If you consider that he should improve a bit on his numbers, I really don't know how much more points Matthews and Nylander can get. Unless you are expecting both Matthews and Nylander to get to 80 or 90 point mark. This would mean they would be competing for the scoring title. I really don't expect any of our kids to get that much more points this season than they did last. Every team in the league is now going to be putting out their best against Matthews & Nylander so I'm not expecting much bigger numbers 5 on 5 and their PP was really hot last year which will be hard to continue this year.

I don't see him getting as much PP time as he did last year which will lower his totals.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Projecting modest improvements for players who have reached physical maturity and/or experience makes sense.But of these 3 only Nylander may have reached his physical potential..
I can see mathews hitting 45- 50 goals and 80 plus points..
Nylander at 30 and 75.
Marner at 25 and 75..,,,,,
Mathews and Nylander have the advantage of playing with each other.
Marner, I believe,could have 60 plus assists if he played with one of them..

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
The issue with Marner is it seems that teams really started to clue into the fact that he drives the line from the wing and as a result are paying much more attention to him. Until he develops his shot a bit more he's less of a dual threat than Matthews or Nylander, I'd like to see him look for his own shot a bit more but then again the creativity is what sets him apart.

This isn't to knock on Marner, I just think he has more factors that could negatively influence his numbers than Matthews and Nylander.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I still think Marner will end up a better player than Nylander. I can understand why people are higher on Nylander ATM (he finished the season hotter than Marner) and when you look at how skilled Nylander is on the ice, it's hard to bet against him.

With Marner though, I see an insane combination of vision and IQ that very few players in the league possess. He's got some wrinkles in his game that he needs to iron out (overpassing being the biggest one) but once he does, he will make everyone a believer.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I still think Marner will end up a better player than Nylander. I can understand why people are higher on Nylander ATM (he finished the season hotter than Marner) and when you look at how skilled Nylander is on the ice, it's hard to bet against him.

With Marner though, I see an insane combination of vision and IQ that very few players in the league possess. He's got some wrinkles in his game that he needs to iron out (overpassing being the biggest one) but once he does, he will make everyone a believer.
In my opinion no matter who becomes the better player between Marner and Nylander as long as they are playing for the Leafs and both reach their full potential, that's a problem I don't mind having when debating who is better.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Marner and Matthews together would destroy the NHL. They're made for each other.

x - Matthews - Marner
x - Nylander - x

This needs to happen already, trade Bozak ffs.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Matthews 34 goals, 39 assists = 73 points

Nylander 38 goals, 37 assists =75 points

Marner 32 goals, 31 assists = 63 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad