projected cap 71.1 M for 2014-2015

HolyShot*

The Kings need a LW and there will be plenty available this summer (should they all make it to July 1 unsigned). Some names for consideration...

Vanek, Marleau, Cammalleri, Moulson, Steen, Michalek, Penner :sarcasm:

Out of that group, I'd only want steen. Guys an absolute beast of a player. Right there with j dub.

Captain Mittens*

Winger!

WingerBand.jpg

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
he needs to take one for the team inside sign a high five million dollar cap hit like Carter, Richards, and Brown

Cough Cough. Your kidding right. See Below.

I could see Kopi getting 7.5-8 on his next deal

We are talking 2016-17 here. The cap will be 76+ million by then. As I stated above, if the NHL and NHLPA are choosing to go with a 71.1 million cap in 2014-15, that is by not including the new TV contract in Canada. So then we go to a MINIMUM of 74 million in 2015-16, probably more like 76. And probably a 78-80 million for 2016-17. Richards and Carter are not KEYS to a franchise and both signed in a MUCH lower cap era. Not even the slightest comparison.

At that cap the going rate for selke candidate ppg C's is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY higher. I think we'll be LUCKY to lock Kopitar up for 8 million at that point. It'll likely be more like 9-9.5 million per year by then. That's the way it goes with prime players. That's why you lock them as long as possible, it eventually turns out to be prime money. Does anybody think Kopitar would sign for 6.8 million today after the Perry/Getzlaf contracts? No chance. But with the escalating cap, there will be little problem in terms of cap hit.

Captain Mittens*

Cough Cough. Your kidding right. See Below.
With me you never know, but I am serious and you can call me Shirley

Kopi was overpaid for parts of his current deal. He does go through long slumps, but was also our most consistent forward during the cup run.

He will be 29 going and 30 when his deal is up.
Why not something like this?

7.5 2016-17 31 years old
7.0 2017-18 32
6.5 2018-19 33
6.0 2019-20 34
5.5 2020-21 35
5.5 2021-22 36
5.0 2022-23 37
4.0 2023-24 38

or more extreme peaks and valleys
8.5 2016-17 31 years old
7.5 2017-18 32
7.0 2018-19 33
6.0 2019-20 34
5.0 2020-21 35
5.0 2021-22 36
4.5 2022-23 37
4.0 2023-24 38

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
he needs to take one for the team inside sign a high five million dollar cap hit like Carter, Richards, and Brown

He's already at $6.8. Even if Kopitar himself wanted to do it, which I would doubt, his agent wouldn't let him do it, and the NHLPA wouldn't either. Kopitar is going to get a ton, if not from the Kings, then someone else, and there's just no way the Kings can let him walk after all the money they've already invested in him, and for everything Kopitar has already done for this franchise.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yep what a time to have an outliner year. Going from a .56 PPG to over 1 PPG in a contract year while at 29. Real question is how much does someone want to risk to find out if this is the new version or if they have gotten the historical average player.

Lets relax a little. He's had one really good season, and it's contract year. He's gonna be overpaid.

I'm not necessarily talking about his point production. He's a Kings-type player.

But you guys are right--with this year's point production, someone is going to run him over with a dumptruck of money.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Cap increase to 71 mil!!!!!!

pregnantbreakdancing.gif

:laugh: every time.

He's already at $6.8. Even if Kopitar himself wanted to do it, which I would doubt, his agent wouldn't let him do it, and the NHLPA wouldn't either. Kopitar is going to get a ton, if not from the Kings, then someone else, and there's just no way the Kings can let him walk after all the money they've already invested in him, and for everything Kopitar has already done for this franchise.

His agent won't let him? His agent works for him. He'll naturally advise against 'taking one for the team' but he can't stand in his way. And really, if he tried, Kopitar could just simply fire him and do his own contract, which would actually give Kopitar more since he wouldn't have to give his agent a cut.

The PA would be a more interesting issue, but at the end of the day he's not taking a huge drop in pay going with what JCM proposed. If the whole 'I wanna win a cup' or "I wanna retire a King' bit is used, the PA might grumble but they likely would let it slide. There's more than enough guys going for top dollar to ensure this is just a blip on the radar.

What is a more likely scenario for what JCM proposes is using bonuses to get Kopitar's cap hit down without really impacting his salary. Like the Iginla contract with Boston, a $1.8 mill cap hit with $4.2 mill in potential bonuses. It can help defer the cap hit to next season in part, and likely not all bonuses will be realized anyways.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
What is a more likely scenario for what JCM proposes is using bonuses to get Kopitar's cap hit down without really impacting his salary. Like the Iginla contract with Boston, a $1.8 mill cap hit with $4.2 mill in potential bonuses. It can help defer the cap hit to next season in part, and likely not all bonuses will be realized anyways.

Can't happen! Bonuses under the CBA are only avail to players on ELC, over 35 or coming back from a severe injury.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear

You're looking at the AAV, which isn't really indicative of the actual money he's pulling in per season. In the last year of his contract he's going to be making $7.7 million so you should really be using that as a starting point in making projections.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Can't happen! Bonuses under the CBA are only avail to players on ELC, over 35 or coming back from a severe injury.

Ahhh yes, you are correct.

Well then, lets all hope Kopitar has a severe injury.

Yes, that comes with a huge :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Iginla was already in the second half of his 30's when he signed that contract. Kopitar won't be 30 before he becomes a UFA. With the cap going up for the foreseeable future it seems, Kopitar is going to cash in, and it's not going to be on bonuses. In what will probably be his last big contract opportunity(it's weird saying that, amazing how time flies), he's going to get max money. Big, point per game, defensively sound, #1 centers don't hit the open market all that often. I don't imagine he will though. The Kings will lock him up like they did with Doughty, Quick, and Brown.

You're looking at the AAV, which isn't really indicative of the actual money he's pulling in per season. In the last year of his contract he's going to be making $7.7 million so you should really be using that as a starting point in making projections.

Good point, but either way, he'll be getting a lot of money from someone.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Kopitar is born on 24. August 1987, so he'll be exactly 29 years old, when new contract and new pre-season camp will start in 2016.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad