Who wants some money?!?!?

joker_makes_it_rain_large_original.gif

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Greene.

We need a winger. DL better be gunning hard for some offense.

I'm sure we'll keep Greene, and I bet the rest could get us something, just depends on what's out there. Kings are gonna have to make moves. I doubt, like usual, the FA market is gonna be favorable for them.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
UFA
Lewis - Let go
Frasier - Let go
Carcillo - Sign
Mitchell - Sign
Greene - Sign
Scrivens - Sign
Schultz - 50/50

RFA
Vey - Let go. :sarcasm:
King - Sign
Frattin - Trade
many players down in Manchester

I put what I'd do in colors next to names. And as the resident Manch guy now I guess, I'd sign all of them. O'Neill and Czarnick are the two who possibly don't get offers. Even then, I think Czarnick would be the only questionable one. O'Neill is a good 3rd line AHL guy.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
SIGN DION PHANEUF.

#DoItDeano

I really really REALLY hope you are kidding. Phaneuf is a #3 at best on most teams. He is vastly overrated for having played in Toronto, not too mention a ********* and terrible in the dressing room. Hope this guy stays forever on Toronto, Detroit, New Jersey, and other teams I hate. Screw that guy.

Cap is surprisingly low. I would have though 74+ minimum. Guess the NHL and NHLPA don't want too huge a hike this year so they are not going to include the new TV contract (which means waaaay less paid out in escrow for players) this season, in order to have another big hike next off-season. Makes sense as I guess most players don't want just this UFA class to cash in.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
I put what I'd do in colors next to names. And as the resident Manch guy now I guess, I'd sign all of them. O'Neill and Czarnick are the two who possibly don't get offers. Even then, I think Czarnick would be the only questionable one. O'Neill is a good 3rd line AHL guy.

agreed with your list. Shouldn't be too bad, no one getting a huge raise. Maybe Kinger with a mil or 2 raise x 2 years and Scrivens a mil more? Frattin could have, but he's having a bum year, I doubt he gets any huge raise.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I really really REALLY hope you are kidding. Phaneuf is a #3 at best on most teams. He is vastly overrated for having played in Toronto, not too mention a ********* and terrible in the dressing room. Hope this guy stays forever on Toronto, Detroit, New Jersey, and other teams I hate. Screw that guy.

Cap is surprisingly low. I would have though 74+ minimum. Guess the NHL and NHLPA don't want too huge a hike this year so they are not going to include the new TV contract (which means waaaay less paid out in escrow for players) this season, in order to have another big hike next off-season. Makes sense as I guess most players don't want just this UFA class to cash in.

Why is this even a question? :laugh:

I'm not an idiot.[mod] Half the **** I post on this site isn't serious and the other half is about Manchester.

Dion shouldn't go anywhere near NJ. Lokti makes that team great. The Devils are LEGIT cup contenders once Lokti takes over as the #1C. :sarcasm:

In all honesty, it's hard to pick out some players the team is likely to go after. The core is well locked up and the cap should go up but winning a cup and going to the WCF after won't be enough to sway some players to come west. Guys I think Dean would target would be guys he knows: Marleau, Michalek, Moulson.

Funny tidbit: My dad is a Sharks fan. Had season tix from 1st season to 04-05 lockout (****ing JOKE that I have to specify what lockout he cancelled his seats during) and he HAAAAAATES Marleau. He tells me every time we talk hockey he's the first guy the Sharks should trade. He also refuses to give the Sharks any more of his money, despite being a fan of the team. He'd rather drive 6 hrs to LA and give the Kings his money.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Can they include the revenue from the TV deal, since it hasn't been earned yet? I don't think the deal starts (at least the new deal) until next season.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...at-would-see-cbc-keep-hockey-night-in-canada/

The NHL says the partnership, which is subject to approve by the NHL Board of Governors, will begin with the 2014-15 season and run through the 2025-26 season.

The cap is based more on revenues earned, not what is coming IIRC.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
agreed with your list. Shouldn't be too bad, no one getting a huge raise. Maybe Kinger with a mil or 2 raise x 2 years and Scrivens a mil more? Frattin could have, but he's having a bum year, I doubt he gets any huge raise.

Scrivens will be an interesting one. Does he want to try and land a shot at playing more? Do the Kings even want him back if they trust Jones going forward? I think it's likely Scrivens comes back but it's possible the Kings could have Quick/Jones in the show and Berube/Bartosak in the A. But I agree with you. No one is looking at huge raises, which is the benefit of having your core all locked down.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Assuming the cap is $71.1 million, and assuming we let Mitchell, Scrivens, Lewis and Fraser walk (i'd likely only push hard to resign Scrivens of that group right at this moment) then we'd should look like this (give or take a few hundred thousands for the few guys we need to resign).

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Dustin Brown ($5.875m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Tyler Toffoli ($0.717m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.273m)
Tanner Pearson ($0.736m) / Linden Vey ($1.000m) / Matt Frattin ($1.000m)
Dwight King ($1.200m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.250m) / Kyle Clifford ($1.075m)
Jordan Nolan ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($7.000m) / Slava Voynov ($4.167m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.000m) / Alec Martinez ($1.100m)
Jake Muzzin ($1.000m) / Matt Greene ($3.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($5.800m)
Martin Jones ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,641,894; BONUSES: $342,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $8,458,106

We'd need to find a depth forward and likely would spend the bulk of our extra cap space on a defenseman, at least in my opinion. We likely could resign Scrivens, assuming he doesn't demand to test in search of more playing time which would make a ton of sense for him.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Kings need a LW and there will be plenty available this summer (should they all make it to July 1 unsigned). Some names for consideration...

Vanek, Marleau, Cammalleri, Moulson, Steen, Michalek, Penner :sarcasm:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings need a LW and there will be plenty available this summer (should they all make it to July 1 unsigned). Some names for consideration...

Vanek, Marleau, Cammalleri, Moulson, Steen, Michalek, Penner :sarcasm:

he'll never make it that far, but droooooool

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Can they include the revenue from the TV deal, since it hasn't been earned yet? I don't think the deal starts (at least the new deal) until next season.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...at-would-see-cbc-keep-hockey-night-in-canada/

I had to look it up before but they have it built in that if they have a known increase they will add it in for that year.
(Preliminary HRR for the prior League Year multiplied by fifty (50) percent (the
Applicable Percentage), minus [-] Projected Benefits), divided [/] by the number of Clubs
then playing in the NHL (e.g., 30), shall equal [=] the Midpoint of the Payroll Range
(which figure shall be considered the Midpoint only for purposes of calculating the
Adjusted Midpoint; all references to the "Midpoint" thereafter shall mean the "Adjusted
Midpoint"), which shall be adjusted upward by a factor of five (5) percent in each League
Year (yielding the Adjusted Midpoint, which shall then become the Midpoint of the
Payroll Range) unless or until either party to this Agreement proposes a different growth
factor based on actual revenue experience and/or projections, in which case the parties
shall discuss and agree upon a new factor. If a significant (i.e., $20 million or more) one-
time increase or decrease to League-wide revenues (e.g., by reason of the addition or loss
of a national television contract or the scheduled opening of one or more new arenas
which is expected to result in a significant increase in League-wide revenues) is
anticipated in the next League Year, the parties will endeavor to estimate the expected
increase or decrease and incorporate that estimate into the above-stated formula for
calculating the Adjusted Midpoint.
That's part 50.5 on page 258 of the CBA.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

They could if they so desired. I have included this CBA quote in other places, but here it is again.

Preliminary HRR for the prior League Year multiplied by fifty (50) percent (the
Applicable Percentage), minus [-] Projected Benefits), divided [/] by the number of Clubs
then playing in the NHL (e.g., 30), shall equal [=] the Midpoint of the Payroll Range
(which figure shall be considered the Midpoint only for purposes of calculating the
Adjusted Midpoint; all references to the "Midpoint" thereafter shall mean the "Adjusted
Midpoint"), which shall be adjusted upward by a factor of five (5) percent in each League
Year (yielding the Adjusted Midpoint, which shall then become the Midpoint of the
Payroll Range unless or until either party to this Agreement proposes a different growth
factor based on actual revenue experience and/or projections, in which case the parties
shall discuss and agree upon a new factor. If a significant (i.e. $20 million or more) one-time increase or decrease to League-wide revenues (e.g. by reason of the addition or loss of a national television contract or the scheduled opening of one or more new arenas which is expected to result in a significant increase in League-wide revenues) is anticipated in the next League Year, the parties will endeavor to estimate the expected increase or decrease and incorporate that estimate into the above-stated formula for the calculating the Adjusted Midpoint.

Basically states that if they KNOW that revenue will increase by a locked in contract (ie like the new TV contract) they CAN up the cap by the corresponding amount. However I do believe that since the cap is already jumping by a lot due to the artificially created smaller cap from this year, the league wants to maintain stable growth with moderate jumps throughout the year and the players want to keep more in escrow this year rather than a one time HUGE jump that means UFA's get paid massively too much this year, then way less in future years.

Basically if the 71.1 number is correct, expect another 4-6 million jump for 2015-16 as well since the NHL and NHLPA DECIDED to delay the TV contract jump, in return the players receive more of their money back in escrow next year.

Why is this even a question? :laugh:

I'm not an idiot.[mod] Half the **** I post on this site isn't serious and the other half is about Manchester.

Dion shouldn't go anywhere near NJ. Lokti makes that team great. The Devils are LEGIT cup contenders once Lokti takes over as the #1C. :sarcasm:

In all honesty, it's hard to pick out some players the team is likely to go after. The core is well locked up and the cap should go up but winning a cup and going to the WCF after won't be enough to sway some players to come west. Guys I think Dean would target would be guys he knows: Marleau, Michalek, Moulson.

Funny tidbit: My dad is a Sharks fan. Had season tix from 1st season to 04-05 lockout (****ing JOKE that I have to specify what lockout he cancelled his seats during) and he HAAAAAATES Marleau. He tells me every time we talk hockey he's the first guy the Sharks should trade. He also refuses to give the Sharks any more of his money, despite being a fan of the team. He'd rather drive 6 hrs to LA and give the Kings his money.

Patty Marleau might be a dumbass (not scratch that I KNOW that he is not a very intelligent human being, fact is Seattle had to employ 3 seperate tutors just to get him his high school degree), but he is one hell of a hockey player. HHe has great hockey sense, with a wicked shot. He is just a complete player offensively. Not sure why your dad would hate him. Love the way he plays hockey. Sharks have had their most success as a franchise since the 05 lockout, too bad he gave up his tickets, TBH.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Lets relax a little. He's had one really good season, and it's contract year. He's gonna be overpaid.

Yep what a time to have an outliner year. Going from a .56 PPG to over 1 PPG in a contract year while at 29. Real question is how much does someone want to risk to find out if this is the new version or if they have gotten the historical average player.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Patty Marleau might be a dumbass (not scratch that I KNOW that he is not a very intelligent human being, fact is Seattle had to employ 3 seperate tutors just to get him his high school degree), but he is one hell of a hockey player. HHe has great hockey sense, with a wicked shot. He is just a complete player offensively. Not sure why your dad would hate him. Love the way he plays hockey. Sharks have had their most success as a franchise since the 05 lockout, too bad he gave up his tickets, TBH.

He's too soft. He says the same thing about Fat Joe too. For that reason, I don't think Patrick would fit in LA.

FWIW, I've seen Marleau's wife. She didn't seem very smart either. And Niemi's is a ****ing annoying pain. She didn't shut up the entire game. Sat near them in SJ in the playoff game I went to last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad