"Project" prospects

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
I'm hoping for a little bit of history on prospects that were considered "projects" at the time they were drafted. Usually a "project" kid can be considered to mean "a kid who's really not very good at hockey at all but has some potential".

I watched Matt Pelech for half a season and I still haven't figured out why anyone ever thought he was a first round pick, he takes dozens of needless penalties, puts up no points, is injury-prone and can't really skate. He's just one example.

My question is: How many "project" guys ever went on to become what those who drafted them projected them to be? Historically speaking, is taking a risk on a project a good or bad move?

I'm not interested in current prospects, only in historical trends.

Last edited:

AD

Aug 2, 2005
Bigassofficetower
I'm hoping for a little bit of history on prospects that were considered "projects" at the time they were drafted. Usually a "project" kid can be considered to mean "a kid who's really not very good at hockey at all but has some potential".

I watched Matt Pelech for half a season and I still haven't figured out why anyone ever thought he was a first round pick, he takes dozens of needless penalties, puts up no points, is injury-prone and can't really skate. He's just one example.

My question is: How many "project" guys ever went on to become what those who drafted them projected them to be? Historically speaking, is taking a risk on a project a good or bad move?

Excellent question, though your definition of a "project" is so so.

Current "projects": Andrei Kostitsyn comes to mind.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Perhaps I should clarify - I'm not asking about current prospects, I'm asking about former projects who eventually developed well and had solid careers.

I don't wish to pick on Pelech either, I just used him as an example.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
When I think of 'project' Prospects I think of guys with lots of natural talent, but with a flaw (or flaws) in their game that could keep them out of the NHL should they not overcome them.

Examples:
Bobby Ryan - Speed
Steve Bernier - Conditioning
O'Sullivan - Off ice issues
Ect. ect.

Guys like Andrei Kostitsyn or Lukas Kaspar arn't so much projects, just guys that have failed hard since draft day and are a real longshot to reach a fraction of the potential scouts thought they had.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Ryan O'Byrne is one and he'll reach what Habs project him to be .

Another person who didn't read the question or the clarification of the question... anyone else?

Come on people, I asked about historical prospects. Guys who were drafted 15-20 years ago or more and eventually developed into top NHLers. I want to know about historical trends, not whether or not Current Prospect A will ever become what Poster B thinks he will.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph

He seems to be racking up the points this year, 18pts in 25 games, not to shabby for a dman that puts up no points.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Zdeno Chara, i dont know how he was regarded as a prospect but he was certainly a project when he first reached the NHL.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
andrew ladd. boris valabik (? forgot his name-thrashers would be chara clone). i think jordan staal qualifies, regardless of how good he has played, he's still not close to being what he could be.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
when Yan Stastny was drafted he was considered a project.

Jurcina too.

and Tallackson, though he hasn't really arrived in the NHL yet.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Can a long shot be considered a project? Or are you looking for examples of players that toiled thru the minors until they developed and made it? Because each season players are drafted in the later rounds that develope into good/great NHLers.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Doug Crossman, Round 6, 1979:

Underrated not only as a prospect, but his entire NHL career, Crossman's defensive game and skating were seen as potential problems. However, his 63 points in 67games for the 67s during his draft year made the Blackhawks think he would be the answer to their PP QBing woes. His effort and overall game, coupled with drastic improvement, made him into a viable NHL player and he quickly lived up to his potential- although he would only do so for the Hawks for two seasons.

Andy Moog, Round 7, 1980:

Tiny, but quick and incredibly skilled, the Penticton native had several very good performances behind very bad teams. The Oilers took a risk on him late in a deep draft, finding his 'don't let the next goal in' mindset perfect for the team they were building. They came away winners, thanks in large part to Moog's willingness to add muscle.

Zdeno Chara, Round 3, 1996:

The Islanders felt Chara's size alone would make him a Norris candidate one day, and they were right- although massive leaps in footspeed and a change of teams was required before the Slovakian would round out his game.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
The only player I can pull up (and this goes back a few years) is Dave Taylor. At the time when the Kings drafted him I think they felt that maybe he was project, after all they drafted him in the 15th round. Though I can't say with absolute certainty. Taylor only went on to have a very successful NHL career. I know that he had a great collegiate career at Clarkson.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
When I think of 'project' Prospects I think of guys with lots of natural talent, but with a flaw (or flaws) in their game that could keep them out of the NHL should they not overcome them.

Examples:
Bobby Ryan - Speed
Steve Bernier - Conditioning
O'Sullivan - Off ice issues
Ect. ect.
Guys like Andrei Kostitsyn or Lukas Kaspar arn't so much projects, just guys that have failed hard since draft day and are a real longshot to reach a fraction of the potential scouts thought they had.
talk about not knowing what your talking about... if you want to
play that game well

Kostitsyn- health issiues, language problems, north american game adaption, vision

is there alot of flaws in his game ? h*ll yeah there is! But everyone knew from the start, and i mean before he was drafted, a project. His skills, shot and balance is undeniable. Good thing is that all of those flaws can and will be corrected, it's just a matter of time, he's already alot better then before, had a hell of a camp and would of made 75% of the NHL team's roster, but Habs have alot of depth at wing( Higgins, Ryder, Latendresse, Kovalev, Samsonov, Perezhogin, Johnson....) He has to out perform them to earn a shot on the team even if he is NHL ready

Kowalchuck said:
could I please use your crystal ball sometime?
Habs when we drafted him, we were hoping for a n.4 to n.6 defensmen with size, speed, physical and a good slapshot and that's what he's becoming, having a great year in the AHL as a rookie with the Bulldogs

ROOKIE CHARGERS: you have the criteria to be an a**

SniperTom

Sep 13, 2005
Michael Ryder of the Canadiens comes to mind, 8 round 216. After some seasons in ECHL and AHL he made his debut at age 23 in 2003. I think there where a lot of questionmarks at draftday eg his skating. But the habs saw his potential and didn't rush him in to the lineup.

Hope this helps

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
I think that the projects you are looking for are 1rst rounders...

Those who come to my mind :

Steve Bernier
Kopitar
Vanek (maybe)

andorynn

Jul 10, 2006
Todd Bertuzzi anyone? He hadn't done much in NYI before we got him at around age 24...

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
Pelech reminds me a lot of Robyn Regehr. Needs a few years in the AHL but he'll be solid. Remember, Reggie was a lower pairing defenceman until Sutter lit a fire under his *** and he got a mean streak in 2003, and he's still developing. Pelech was very underrated on draft day, because he was "injury prone" (two freak incidents) and because he was one of, if not the, youngest players drafted. So he lost some development time, but he has a tonne left and he'll need it. Still, he's got good potential, just needs to work on his skating and smarts, two things I'm sure will be addressed in the A.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Surprised nobody's mentioned Luc Robitaille yet. Unbelievable finishing ability but nobody thought he could skate well enough to make it in the NHL, and he lasted until the 9th round. Took him a couple of years in the Q with Hull after he was drafted before he made the big club and you can see that he worked out for sure.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
what about naslund from pittsburgh? didn't really do much until his mid-20's

brian boyle could be a project for the kings right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad