Professional Women's Hockey League (PWHL) News

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
They should've kept these in the drafts

Not a singular pluralized mascot name makes it seem a little suspicious that these are all of the final names (and not just handpicked from a series of trademarked possibilities) OR that the league as a whole made a very purposeful and specific stylized choice

Boston Wicked is kind of funny, but none of them really stand out to me.
3 American teams are all significantly better than the 3 Canadian, imo.

Reactions: FrHockeyFan

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Not a singular pluralized mascot name makes it seem a little suspicious that these are all of the final names (and not just handpicked from a series of trademarked possibilities) OR that the league as a whole made a very purposeful and specific stylized choice ...
I'm sure if some media type asks the question, the League will issue a pithy statement on their X account that ties the naming decisions to individuality & independent thinking.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Best: Minnesota Superior - Sounds good, makes sense.
Worst: Boston Wicked - No comment necessary.
Unsure: Toronto Torch - I think if the logo incorporates the CN Tower in some way it could work.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
There's no effing way the league is going with these. Great PR move to put this out there and draw attention to the league though. :snide:
Great PR move to scrap names that at least have recognition in the market and start all over at zero...

But then, professional women's hockey in North America has been a front-office amateur hour from the start.

Who's going to be this league's Tyler Tumminia and run it into the ground with bad decisions?

Reactions: Roadhog

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Anyone else rankled over the FACT that we still don't know the identities of the 6 PWHL teams YET? I mean, training camps are opening in a few days and no one's bothered to tell us what they are. For God's sake, the NLL has done a much better job with their new UnBOXed initiative(getting elementary & middle-school aged kids interested in lacrosse via school PE programs in the 15 NLL cities and 9 other markets-more than a few have had NLL teams before.) Every one of the 9 new cities has been give an unofficial identity-and all of them at least show some creativity; some(St. Louis, Montreal, Ottawa)are more inspired or clever than others. The PWHL? NOTHING.

I will also add, too, that CBC Sports did a long article on women's hockey in the Ottawa area.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Anyone else rankled over the FACT that we still don't know the identities of the 6 PWHL teams YET? I mean, training camps are opening in a few days and no one's bothered to tell us what they are. For God's sake, the NLL has done a much better job with their new UnBOXed initiative(getting elementary & middle-school aged kids interested in lacrosse via school PE programs in the 15 NLL cities and 9 other markets-more than a few have had NLL teams before.) Every one of the 9 new cities has been give an unofficial identity-and all of them at least show some creativity; some(St. Louis, Montreal, Ottawa)are more inspired or clever than others. The PWHL? NOTHING.

I will also add, too, that CBC Sports did a long article on women's hockey in the Ottawa area.
I'm beginning to think the names they released are going to be the actual names they go with. I won't be buying merch if that's the case. Bring back the Toronto Furies!!

• Wow
Reactions: JMCx4

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
These names and jerseys can’t actually be real?? Couldn’t screw up a new launch of a league more if you tried. Hopefully the next Woman’s league gets it right since this one will be an absolute failure

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
First preseason game has been announced

This is the first time anyone has ever been excited about going to Utica, and coincidentally, the first time a league has played with nameless teams.

I previously wondered who would be this league's Tyler Tumminia, but I never contemplated they'd actually find a way to run a league worse than she did. This is some Richard Brosal-level stupid stuff.

Stan Kasten must be dealing with scant capital and resources, because he's got too much experience and ability fumble everything this badly.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This is the first time anyone has ever been excited about going to Utica, and coincidentally, the first time a league has played with nameless teams.

I previously wondered who would be this league's Tyler Tumminia, but I never contemplated they'd actually find a way to run a league worse than she did. This is some Richard Brosal-level stupid stuff.

Stan Kasten must be dealing with scant capital and resources, because he's got too much experience and ability fumble everything this badly.
Because they're choosing to go as "New York" and "Minnesota" instead of "Boston _____" and "Ottawa _____"??
I think you might be overreacting a bit haha

This is more akin to soccer clubs or European clubs just calling their team "Toronto Football Club" and "Hockey Club Davos".
They don't need a nickname to ice a successful team

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Because they're choosing to go as "New York" and "Minnesota" instead of "Boston _____" and "Ottawa _____"??
I think you might be overreacting a bit haha

This is more akin to soccer clubs or European clubs just calling their team "Toronto Football Club" and "Hockey Club Davos".
They don't need a nickname to ice a successful team

Yeah, no.

It's hard enough to market women's sports to the North American market (or anywhere, really) so why make it harder on yourself? Why have no logo and no team name, no mascot... NOTHING save for team colors and generic sweaters?

These are questions that the "women's hockey journalists" out there need to be asking Kasten and the PWHPA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad