2023-24 Professional Women's Hockey League (PWHL) News

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
A perspective piece from CBC. I just wish the headline wasn't so ... non-commital ... :confused:

The promise of possibility: PWHL could transform landscape of international hockey

League could allow European players close gap with North American dominance, style

Karissa Donkin · for CBC Sports
Posted: Sep 21, 2023 2:11 PM CDT | Last Updated: September 21

Dominika Lásková was still in shock a few minutes after she was drafted to play for Montreal in the new Professional Women's Hockey League (PWHL).

As she made her way to the stage to meet general manager Danièle Sauvageau, her Czech national teammates snapped photos of her, beaming with pride.

Selected in the fourth round of Monday's inaugural draft, Lásková was the first of five Czech players to hear their names called. Players from eight different countries were selected.

"Being from Europe and being from Czech, I think it's great for the little girls back home to see that there is a possibility for them to play [alongside] the best players in the world," said Lásková, a right-handed defender who can also play forward. ...

(There has) never been a women's professional hockey league with all the best players in the world, and that's what the PWHL has set out to accomplish.

The league could open up the landscape of international women's hockey, a field where Canada or the United States have won every Olympic gold medal and world championship so far. ...

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/pwhl-international-hockey-landscape-change-1.6974080

Nicolas J

Feb 5, 2011
An awesome video to get you hyped for the PWHL season ?
Here's my fanmade video
🎬
epic, powerful ! Enjoy !

Reactions: pearljamvs5

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
THN continues its skeptical coverage ...
PWHL Rumblings: Coaches, Logos, Schedules, and More

Assistant coaches have been hired, the schedule is coming, players will soon begin signing, names and logos, and much more.

IAN KENNEDY
OCT 14, 2023 11:41 AM EDT

... Players have been receiving offers and talking through terms with some PWHL teams, but the fact that standard player agreements were not ready, has delayed more signing announcements from formally being released. None of the 18 players announced by the league, players like Marie-Philip Poulin and Hilary Knight, were officially signed by their clubs despite the announcements and press coverage surrounding the signings. ...

As PWHL leader Stan Kasten said in an interview with CBC this week, franchises "will certainly have team names" before the puck drops in January. While he said names would come, Kasten was less certain about logos. ...

Venues have been a real evolving situation for the league. Verdun for Montreal, Xcel for Minnesota, TD Place for Ottawa, and Total Mortgage Arena in Bridgeport for New York. Many believe Coca-Cola will be the home rink for Toronto, while Boston remains the wild card.

After reports surfaced that Boston's leading contender for a home rink was Walter Brown Arena, new rumors have appeared suggesting Boston will play 45 minutes outside the city in Lowell, Massachusetts. ...

Read more at: https://thehockeynews.com/womens/pwhl/pwhl-rumblings-coaches-logos-schedules-and-more

Reactions: Roadhog

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
THN continues its skeptical coverage ...

I am also skeptical. Obviously, I want this league to succeed, but it feels like they're trying to throw everything together last minute and the league perception could falter because of it. It reminds me a bit of how the Fed operated in that sense. I mean two of the teams do not even have venues yet and the teams possibly won't be branded by the start of the season. Those are very important keys in developing a following. They needed at least another season to have it ready.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
PWHL Trademarks Updated League Logo

BY CLARK RASMUSSEN
2 DAYS AGO (October 17, 2023)
IN GENERAL

pwhl.png

The Professional Women’s Hockey League has yet to reveal identities for its six teams set to begin play this winter but it does appear to be tweaking the brand at the league level.

According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s TESS system, the league, which has been using a relatively-generic rendering of the “PWHL” acronym in a sans-serif font as an identifier, applied for a trademark last week on three new logos, all centered around a stylized “W” where the apex of the letter is replaced by a pair of crossed hockey sticks. ...

Read & See more at:

Reactions: Roadhog

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
This is going to be an absolute joke. How do you not have team names, logos, and uniforms ready for the start of the season? I will not be supporting this league at all - even if they come back to Buffalo at some point. They lost me for good.

EDIT: All this is is the National Team players upset that they couldn't get their way quickly enough, so they went to people with money and convinced them to buy out the competition.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Food for Thought & Feedback: If a "soft opening" is a viable strategy for a restaurant business (introducing your product to a community while preparing your organization to serve customers and identify areas for improvement), why can't it work for a small sports league with franchises in major markets who are willing to lose money while they get the formula right? Discuss ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
PWHL Rumblings: Commissioner, Players to China, and More

Will there be a PWHL commissioner? Who is headed to play in China? Lacasse takes on a job with the PWHL...and more.

IAN KENNEDY
21 HOURS AGO (21 October 2023)

PWHL training camps are creeping closer, but there's much to be done on the league side before then. Globally, the hockey machine continues to march on as well with developments beginning to occur overseas that could open new opportunities for players, who otherwise may have found themselves in the PWHL.

Here's a look at what we're hearing this week related to the PWHL and the world of women's hockey. ...

Read more at:

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Since this league is puttering along on speculation, I'll toss in this unknown (to me) source reporting progress toward a seemingly important condition for the PWHL to start playing hockey in January 2024 ... Messenger.com (18 Oct 2023): All Six PWHL Teams Have Homes; Toronto Set To Play At Mattamy Athletic Center (Exclusive)
Mattamy would have a lot more open weekend dates compared to Coca-Cola Coliseum, I can see a change in venues for year 2. Practicing on the same sheet at Ford Centre as the former CWHL Furies makes me think they'll be wearing the blue & white.

Reactions: dalewood12

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I know the PWHL won't be running an affiliate league this season, but which senior/pro-am leagues are still running for those that don't make a team's main roster?

Reactions: dalewood12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad